Old May 27, 2003, 00:29   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A great challenge to civ3 gamers
I stumbled upon one of my first Civ3 games the other day. It was before I knew that expanding early was the key, and I got boxed in by the other countries. So I'm very small. The difficulty level is on chieftain. The only advantage I have is that I built a gigantic wall of fortresses around my country. All types of victory are on, and I believe there are some unclaimed areas with possible resources. I would suggest getting this land and go for the space race. It's in the late industrial right now. I'm at war with a couple of other nations right now, and things are looking pretty grim, but I think some of the really good civ gamers can win this game. Whoever downloads this game and wins it earns my respect.

The file is at: http://apolyton.net/upload/files/johncmcleod/j.SAV
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old May 27, 2003, 01:28   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:25
Not sure when I can get to this as I have DiabloII and MM6 games going now, but why is this 4.58 MB?
BTW is is PTW or Civ?
Old May 27, 2003, 01:48   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Hum, I tried to load it as PTW and Civ, but got file errors. I have had issues in the past with savs. What patch level?
Some times I have to install from scratch to get the files to read, if at all.
Old May 27, 2003, 18:23   #4
johncmcleod
Prince

It is Civ3 not ptw, I don't think I ever downloaded any patches.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old May 27, 2003, 20:53   #5
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 21:25
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
It is Civ3 not ptw, I don't think I ever downloaded any patches.
Then go download one ASAP!
Old May 28, 2003, 03:04   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Thanks for the game, I deleted PTW and Civ and then reinstalled Civ III only with no patches and it loaded fine.
Not sure where to start here, but you are dead that is almost a certainty. Maybe Aeson or someone could make a stab at it, but I am not that brave.
Here is what I saw,
You were in Anarchy, why is that. Was a government switch taking place? If so, why would you try that when already at war with several civs? You are Persia, which IIRC is scientific and industrious, so it will take a long time to switch.
In the mean time, no production at all.
Not sure how much Civ you have played, but unless you feel very confident of your skills in the game, I would not use accelerated production (that what it looks like to me). I would first master the standard set.
A very good investment in time would be to go to Civfanatics and find Crackers thread on improving your opening move.
I say this as you had 9 of 13 tiles in the capitol with no roads, while researching Atomic Theory. I would have long ago gotten at least roads on all worked tiles.
Once you make a factory in a city, you need to have a worker crew near by to clean up the pollution. I like to get to the pollution reducers as soon as it is reasonable to do it and build them in those cities.
I would also mention the research. I would not research the ship type techs before I got electronics.That is a high prioroty tech.
I do not know what all has gone down, but I can hardly image a circumstance that would lead me to trade saltpeter and rubber to anyone. Those are key resources for some combat units and I do not want to help them make them. Maybe there are some conditions, but it would be rare.
Now the last item I will menion is the city placement.
There are many ways to approach it, but haphazard is not one of them.
If you want to go CTTC, that is fine, but you only did that to the capitol and maybe one other? Try some thing like size 19 for games below monarch level. If that is too complex, just use CTTTC pattern. Many threads here that talk about city placement.
Ok, I lied, I need to mention workers. I did not look to see how many you have, but either it was not nearly enough or they were being used for I don't know what.
It is important to get roads to all cities quickly. It is a good idea to improve tiles that are being worked (see Crackers thread).
Good luck on your next one.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:06   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Oh let me echo KonQuest thought. You really should get the patch as it has many useful things and it is free.
Not many, if any are running with an unpatch version.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:36   #8
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:25
Also, the original, unpatched Civ 3 had at least one bug nasty enough to eat about my third game (a long time ago).
Old May 29, 2003, 22:16   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

No, that's an old game. I'm much better now. I'll check out the patch.
Old May 29, 2003, 23:13   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Glad you are doing well. Drop an Action Report down some time.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:09   #11
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Patch and read some of the strategy guides that can be found here.

You should have no problem at chieftain anymore....
Old May 30, 2003, 22:54   #12
johncmcleod
Prince

Which patch is 'The Patch' that everyone talks about? I am better than when I played that game, but I am not playing it considered the desperate situation I'm in in the game.
Old May 30, 2003, 23:18   #13
vmxa1
Deity

1.29f for CivIII. It is the last one it will get most likely.
PTW I use 1.14F, 1.21 is out, but I heard some problem, so I have not tried it yet. I think I will wait foe the next expansion pack.
Old May 31, 2003, 05:21   #14
Mad Bomber
King

VMXA1:

I have patched PTW to 1.21 when it first came out and I have had no problems with it. Check out the 1.21 patch, you can always reinstall 1.14 over it if you run into problems. Since the XP will not arrive before fall (and is probably slated for a X-Mas release) I would think about patching to 1.21 before getting the XP.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old May 31, 2003, 13:21   #15
johncmcleod
Prince

If I download the 1.21 patch will I be able to play my old saves?
Old May 31, 2003, 15:15   #16
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Are you using Civ3 or PTW?

If you're using Civ3, download 1.29; it greatly improves the game and fixes a lot of bugs. You can upgrade your old games too.

If you're using PTW, Civ3 is already patched to 1.29, and most PTW patches only improve multiplayer. But the 1.21 PTW patch is still worth the download for singleplayer; there's an AI improvement or two and Scientific civs get truly random techs as they are supposed to.
Old May 31, 2003, 15:22   #17
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Are you using Civ3 or PTW?

If you're using Civ3, download 1.29; it greatly improves the game and fixes a lot of bugs. You can upgrade your old games too.

If you're using PTW, Civ3 is already patched to 1.29, and most PTW patches only improve multiplayer. But the 1.21 PTW patch is still worth the download for singleplayer; there's an AI improvement or two and Scientific civs get truly random techs as they are supposed to.
hi ,

only upgrade to 1.21 ptw if you have the US english disk (!)

have a nice day