Old May 27, 2003, 14:36   #1
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 20:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MOO3 for Mac: An Opinion
Decent game... not as good as Stronghold, but that's another story.

My main beef with this game is the lack of a tutorial... think about it, unless you read the book cover-to-cover you have to actually trust your planet viceroys (or whatever they're called) to decide what to build in the different regions.

I just don't like that.

I tried to do it myself, but not being as knowledgeable as the viceroy, I got screwed.

Then there's the lack of automation in other areas... if you automate the research, the unit building, etc. etc. you should really have automated the ship design stage as well.

There's nothing like a bunch of Eagle Attack ships going after ships armed with Rail guns... or Hawk Defense ships being a distant memory in just a couple of moments...

Thus far these are the only problems I've had... that and the AI going to war with me for looking at them wrong...

What problems should I be watching for and preparing myself against as I continue to try to understand the game?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
FlameFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 08:06   #2
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 22:28
Re: MOO3 for Mac: An Opinion
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Decent game... not as good as Stronghold, but that's another story.

My main beef with this game is the lack of a tutorial... think about it, unless you read the book cover-to-cover you have to actually trust your planet viceroys (or whatever they're called) to decide what to build in the different regions.

I just don't like that.
I agree. I would've loved a tutorial rather than pop-up help windows. I'm having some difficulty getting immersed in the game. Now that summer vacation is here, I should have plenty of time, aside from painting bedrooms in our new house.

I, too, found the ship design process confusing. Scrap those hawk defense and eagle attack ships right away and design your own. I'm still working on gathering my first fleet.

Hang in there. I know some very credible gamers who feel its got it all once its understood. And, that's before the code patch, which is coming soon.
dojoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 17:50   #3
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

I look forward to the code patch... Thus far, in the many restarts I think I enjoy Raas the best...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old July 28, 2003, 05:37   #4
Drake Tungsten
Deity

A tutorial would've been nice. It's a complicated game.
Drake Tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2003, 09:09   #5
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
A tutorial would've been nice. It's a complicated game.
I agree. I even got on the phone w/ someone to make head and tails of this game. Part of the reason why EU2 got my attention, although detailed in itself, the setting is more familiar.
Old August 15, 2003, 00:17   #6
FlameFlash
Emperor

Another beef:

The updater sucks. I need to now just delete and reinstall the original because version 1.2.5 doesn't work right.

Code is showing up onscreen and thanks to them not allowing the standard Mac screenshot key combo I can't show you what I'm talking about.

Old August 27, 2003, 09:55   #7
FlameFlash
Emperor

You know, updating to 1.2.5 is way helpful. I'm not having near as many problems as I once was, and it's actually become a fun game. If anybody has set it aside, now would be the time to restart.

Old August 27, 2003, 21:05   #8
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
You know, updating to 1.2.5 is way helpful. I'm not having near as many problems as I once was, and it's actually become a fun game. If anybody has set it aside, now would be the time to restart.
I was having some problems w/ 1.2.5 where the senate victory option would always be on, even when turned off in the start-up screen. Honestly, EU2 and beta-testing HOI has consumed all my gaming time for the most part. Just now, I'm finally playing a serious Civ3 game again.
Old August 28, 2003, 21:18   #9
FlameFlash
Emperor

I haven't had that problem... there were two releases of the 1.2.5 update for Mac... if you didn't get the later one (after July 11th or something) then you might want to redownload it.

Old October 14, 2003, 18:08   #10
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is this game worth getting?

I mean I can get it cheap, so I just want to know.
Old October 15, 2003, 10:03   #11
FlameFlash
Emperor

It depends...

I'd say not, but I haven't had an opportunity to enjoy the MP mode to see how that is.

Old October 15, 2003, 10:17   #12
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Is this game worth getting?

I mean I can get it cheap, so I just want to know.
I never got into it, really had problems locating and using specific screens. What I need to do is join a MOO3 SG to learn how. With Civ3, EU2, and HOI, I've not had the inclination.
Old October 20, 2003, 15:10   #13
FlameFlash
Emperor

Do either EU2 and/or Hearts of Iron have an MP ability? I'm slightly interested in Hearts of Iron but I need to know that before seriously thinking on it.

Old October 20, 2003, 16:51   #14
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Do either EU2 and/or Hearts of Iron have an MP ability? I'm slightly interested in Hearts of Iron but I need to know that before seriously thinking on it.
Yes, they both do.
Old October 21, 2003, 21:58   #15
FlameFlash
Emperor

Very cool.

Just MP over the 'net or a LAN thouh, right?

What's the monitor resolution requirements? My little iBook can't go all the way up to what my tower can, and I'd actually like to be able to play on both/either depending on my location (friends place or whatnot).

Somehow most of my friends have suddenly started getting Macs so I have more gaming options.

Old October 21, 2003, 22:21   #16
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Very cool.

Just MP over the 'net or a LAN thouh, right?
There is also a server, similar to GameRanger, called Vnet (supports Paradox Games).
Old October 21, 2003, 22:38   #17
FlameFlash
Emperor

Cool, though I'm guessing no hotseat, they're both RTS as opposed to TB, right?