Old May 27, 2003, 16:19   #1
DCMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ocean ROP
I don't know if this has been discussed before but as I was trying to explore the world in my current game, I thought it might be useful to have two types of right of passage agreements- one for land and one for sea. Maybe the next expansion could have this. Any thoughts?
Old May 27, 2003, 16:26   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
great idea..

easy to implement....

if the new editor is REALLY powerful in conquests we might even do it ourselves

cheers
Old May 27, 2003, 16:43   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Good idea.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old May 27, 2003, 16:54   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:28
Good idea. Although I've found the AI usually acts as if it has one with you anyway, at least before Navigation/Magnetism.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:28   #5
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 03:28
I thought sea and land you control were already considered the same way for ROP: when there is no ROP you are not authorized to go through the sea controlled by the AI.
Or do you mean you want to control land and sea ROP separately? If so, yes, it is a good idea.
Old May 28, 2003, 10:08   #6
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

You could even have land,sea and air
Old May 28, 2003, 12:39   #7
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
You could even have land,sea and air
Air ROP. Good idea too
Old May 28, 2003, 13:05   #8
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Air ROP... Why??????

Bomber, Fighter dont really fly over things... you just pick a zone to bombard and your bomber drop the bombs where you click...
Your bomber ic Civ3 dont fly like in Civ2... it got to be in a city or a AirPort... And when you "rebase" in a new city, your aircraft dont care about any distance or what is between the "source city" and the "destination city"...

But if the Air ROP can make you give the right to make AirPort in another Civilization, this can be a good thing...

I can't wait to see if Conquest got new option in the editor?
Anyone know if there a chat soon fixed with firaxis?

thanks and see ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; May 28, 2003 at 13:57.
Old May 28, 2003, 13:24   #9
Nym
Prince

For helicopters maybe
Old May 28, 2003, 19:26   #10
Roggan
Chieftain

rop isnt only mad in see

itis mad in land two

hance rops
Old May 28, 2003, 20:11   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:28
Sea ROPs would be of very limited use, namely pre-navigation sea exploration. While it would be enjoyable in the early game, it would become completely useless in the later game (where boats can fare outside of the Civ's territory).

Personally, to avoid the "trireme in foreign borders" syndrome, I've edited my game for Triremes to have four moves, and other ships to have many more.
Old May 28, 2003, 22:19   #12
WarpStorm
King

I just ignore the warnings the AI gives me for ship encroachments as it very rarely causes war (and they rarely encroach from sea).
Old May 29, 2003, 14:01   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 20:28
Quote:
rop isnt only mad in see

itis mad in land two

hance rops
Ottok got a DL!
Old May 29, 2003, 22:45   #14
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I don't see any added utility to having a land RoP and a sea RoP. The current situation mirrors the real world pretty well IMHO. Ancient civs may claim sea territory but have little ability to enforce it. The AI mirrors this when it tells you to leave, you ignore it, and nothing happens. As a Civ matures, I can see things like trading a RoP at navigational checkpoints for some type of consideration, but beyond that I believe that a general RoP should suffice.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 30, 2003, 03:44   #15
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
I can see things like trading a RoP at navigational checkpoints for some type of consideration
I think it is the main idea behind the sea ROP concept.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:01   #16
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Sea ROP, excelent idea. Air ROP also, but in CIV4 (if there is any...). I always wished there was an air transport unit which could move your tanks or at least artilery around.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:17   #17
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:28
On land, ROP agreements serve two purposes. (1) They allow civs to benefit from each other's roads and railroads. (2) They mean a civ won't demand that you leave or declare war if you end a turn in their borders.

Neither of these is an issue on the water. Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly.

Nathan
Old May 30, 2003, 11:10   #18
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 19:28
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
"... Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly."
Nathan
I find this to be true. The AI will ask you to leave, but if you say "sure" and continue moving through their waters, you may not hear from them again, or not for quite some time. And it doesn't really seem to harm attitude relations. IIRC, the AI does seem a bit touchier when you have multiple ships or ships loaded with units.
Old May 30, 2003, 17:18   #19
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
On land, ROP agreements serve two purposes. (1) They allow civs to benefit from each other's roads and railroads. (2) They mean a civ won't demand that you leave or declare war if you end a turn in their borders.

Neither of these is an issue on the water. Ships move just as quickly within someone else's borders without a ROP as they do with one, and while civs will ask you to leave if your ships end up in their territory, the "remove your forces or declare war" option does not exist with regard to ships. As best I can figure it, AIs are perfectly willing to ignore territorial sovereignty where water tiles are concerned, and they don't make a big fuss if humans behave similarly.

Nathan
I find this true also. I don't believe that a seperate general RoP for sea tiles would add much. Perhaps we should call it a Right of transit recognized at navigational chockpoints only and give it a 5 turm limit. This would preserve territorial security in some sensitive coastal areas while accomidating a culture that you do not want to extend a general RoP to.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll