Old May 28, 2003, 15:11   #1
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is there a tool for calculating best city to build forbidden palace in?
Is there a program that can do it? It should probably read the save file and then calculate the optimal position of FP based on reduction in total corruption, size of neighbouring cities, and so on.

and I know I can test it by hand, but I am lazy 'cause I have about 10 city candidates for the position

By the way, if I disband my capitol, will I get another palace built somwhere else?
Old May 28, 2003, 16:59   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yes, it's called your brain.

As for disbanding your Palace, AFAIK, the only way to do that is to build one elsewhere or abandon the city it's in, which will automatically create another one. That's not a recommended option since you'll lose all the culture you've accumulated there.
Old May 28, 2003, 17:10   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 22:32
@ Willem.

VetLegion,

You might want to post your game in the strategy forum and ask for advice for where to put your FP. The strat forum regulars are not as quick 'n easy as a program, but we are pretty good at stuff like this...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 29, 2003, 22:04   #4
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 20:32
the best thought i can think of is think of a "ven diagram" never learned the spelling of that. but it is two circles that have an overlapping area (with the two centers being the palace and forbidden palace respectively). my thought would be put the Forbidden Palace in the biggest area where your palace isn't, if that makes sense...

edit: did it ever bother anyone that the FP is of Asian design for all civs where the palace you could change yourself?
Old May 29, 2003, 22:29   #5
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
I have always just kinda eye-balled it. I look for a good grouping of cities that are a good distance from my capital and then...right in the middle of them it goes. I would be interested if anyone had a logical methodology that they go through when selecting the city for the FP.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 29, 2003, 22:31   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
edit: did it ever bother anyone that the FP is of Asian design for all civs where the palace you could change yourself?
I guess it beats everyone having a "Western Whitehouse"!
Old May 29, 2003, 23:11   #7
Flight
Warlord

Local Time: 02:32
well the FP is a small wonder just like all the culturally specific wonders in the game so it isnt particularly surprising
Old May 30, 2003, 20:43   #8
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Flight
well the FP is a small wonder just like all the culturally specific wonders in the game so it isnt particularly surprising
It doesn't have to be if you have PTW. I've turned mine into a wonder, which adds an interesting element to the game, especially if another civ beats me to it. It gives me a good reason to capture the city it's in, instead of razing everything I come across as I usually do.
Old May 31, 2003, 08:17   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

It doesn't have to be if you have PTW. I've turned mine into a wonder, which adds an interesting element to the game, especially if another civ beats me to it. It gives me a good reason to capture the city it's in, instead of razing everything I come across as I usually do.
hi ,

done the same , only in a scenario and of course its for the chinese , boy , you should see how the ai tries to get it , ....

it should be made a wonder but then each other civ should have some other form of a second palace , ....

for example , the US could get state capitals , not as strong as a palace but they would lower corruption in lets say a 12 tile radius , .....

in south africa the gov moves in between a summer and winter palace

and there are plenty of other realistic examples of this in many other civs

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2003, 08:41   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

it should be made a wonder but then each other civ should have some other form of a second palace , ....
Yes, I've added a Supreme Court to my game in order to make up for the loss of the Forbidden Palace. I've created a few other anti-corruption wonders as well, I think they add a good element in the game.

I was so peeved in my last game. I was just about to take the Japanese city with the Forbidden Palace in it when the Zulu came along instead and ended up razing the city. It would have provided a good southern anchor for my empire. Bummer!
Old May 31, 2003, 09:04   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, I've added a Supreme Court to my game in order to make up for the loss of the Forbidden Palace. I've created a few other anti-corruption wonders as well, I think they add a good element in the game.

I was so peeved in my last game. I was just about to take the Japanese city with the Forbidden Palace in it when the Zulu came along instead and ended up razing the city. It would have provided a good southern anchor for my empire. Bummer!
hi ,

, ....

actually Willem we should put this in new ideas thread or so , ....

the supreme court , great , , maybe for democratic civs only

why cant we work in the editor with the FP like with the regular palace , .... why cant we let it jump ( on / off )also like with a regular palace , ......

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2003, 09:24   #12
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

, ....

actually Willem we should put this in new ideas thread or so , ....

the supreme court , great , , maybe for democratic civs only

why cant we work in the editor with the FP like with the regular palace , .... why cant we let it jump ( on / off )also like with a regular palace , ......

have a nice day
One thing I hope they fix in Conquests is the way a gov specific anti-corruption wonder will still have an effect after you switch govs. I was really hoping I could get an ebb and flow in my empire's corruption levels according to governments, but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

And I disagree, every government type has some sort of Supreme Court. Even the Soviets had the Supreme Soviet, which acted in much the same manner as, say, the British Supreme Court or that of the US, IIRC.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:33   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

One thing I hope they fix in Conquests is the way a gov specific anti-corruption wonder will still have an effect after you switch govs. I was really hoping I could get an ebb and flow in my empire's corruption levels according to governments, but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

And I disagree, every government type has some sort of Supreme Court. Even the Soviets had the Supreme Soviet, which acted in much the same manner as, say, the British Supreme Court or that of the US, IIRC.
hi ,

, okay , but its not exactly like every soviet citizens could appeal , ......

there is also a huge difference in law in the world , for example ; every where napoleon went there is a law till this day that is based on his "code" , if you where to compare it for example with the UK you would find there are huge differences , ......

each civ is bound to have something that can act as a second palace at one point in history or the other , and each civ should have something like a high court , ....

if a gov specific wonder was to be build into the game ( you have just made me think of that ) what would happen to the wonder , .....

maybe it should change then the way it works or it should not work then , ....

its indeed sad to see there is no ebb an flow , ....

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2003, 09:38   #14
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

if a gov specific wonder was to be build into the game ( you have just made me think of that ) what would happen to the wonder , .....
The wonder would disappear from the city list, but as it stands right now, it's effect would still remain. It looks to me like they fixed this problem with the wonder flags, but it's still a problem with flags for small wonders.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:49   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

The wonder would disappear from the city list, but as it stands right now, it's effect would still remain. It looks to me like they fixed this problem with the wonder flags, but it's still a problem with flags for small wonders.
hi ,

and what to do if the wonder is build and the gov changes

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2003, 11:11   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
hi ,

and what to do if the wonder is build and the gov changes

have a nice day
I guess the effect would be (temporarely) set a zero.
Old May 31, 2003, 11:37   #17
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 02:32
Just to go back to the original question, I've always just eye-balled it, too, trying to split the difference as best I could. In my current game, I've been expanding my empire militarily (and am about to do so again) and I built the FP in the middle of my more recent acquisitions (furthest from my palace). But, since my capital city started out on a promontory, 3/4 surrounded by ocean, I then built a new one more or less in the middle of my beginning group of cities (the ones I had before I went on my conquering rampage). Seems to me this is the only way you can get any kind of balanced effect.
Old June 2, 2003, 13:32   #18
PLATO
Emperor

Someone had suggested the idea of "provincial" capitals in another thread a while back. It seems like, if it was properly configured, that this would be a alternative to the FP. The FP could then be a wonder that would enhance the effects of the Provincial Capitals if your civ could build it.
Old June 2, 2003, 13:51   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
Someone had suggested the idea of "provincial" capitals in another thread a while back. It seems like, if it was properly configured, that this would be a alternative to the FP. The FP could then be a wonder that would enhance the effects of the Provincial Capitals if your civ could build it.
hi ,

i have been asking that for about a year now , ......

just take a look at the individual states the US of A has , .......

every 10th city or so , there should be a min and max distance from each other and from the head capitol , ......

many countries have this , look at a canadian province for example , ..... or a french one , or the french overseas dept , ......

Firaxis , .....

have a nice day