Old May 28, 2003, 18:06   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question about production and shield loss
Let's say I have a city that produces 7 shields per turn, and I want to build a unit that costs 10 shields.

What happens to 4 the extra shields produced to make the 10 shield unit? (2 turns x 7 shields per turn -10 = 4 extra shields)

Are they just gone, or do you get an extra one gold for every extra shield produced?
Old May 28, 2003, 19:27   #2
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 18:32
/me thinks they just disappear, but advises you not to quote him on that
Old May 28, 2003, 21:35   #3
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

as with any surplus produced by a particular city (food when about to grow, beakers at the moment of a new tech, production used for the construction of anything, luxuries over 2 goblets per citizen), any surplus is wasted (truncated if you will ) and thrown away.

There inlies the basis for micromanagement
Old May 28, 2003, 22:49   #4
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

What SCG said.

Therein lies the basis of incremental rushbuying, to be more specific. Your 7 shield city would be better served to build Horsemen instead of Warriors, thereby building 1 every 3 turns with only 1 shield wasted.

(... or Labourers as opposed to Labour Brigades, as the case may be )

Similarly, you would build a 30 shield unit by letting 7 shields fill the box in 1 turn, rushing 3 shields, and then let the city finish building the unit in 3 more turns with 1 shield waste. Built without rushing, it would take 5 turns and waste 5 shields

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 28, 2003, 23:40   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

That's what I figured it was, thanks for confirming that guys.
Old May 29, 2003, 05:23   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Memo on Micro-management
The quest to avoid shield wastage introduces the subject of micro-management. At the end of each turn scroll through every city to check the following:

1) Cities that will grow next turn - will they fall into disorder?
2) Resource management - placing workers on high production tiles, sometimes at the expense of temporary hunger, to achieve a build the next turn. Conversely, if too many shields are being produced, put workers on tiles to gain more food or trade.
3) Can cities be made to celebrate by the manipulation of squares worked?

After doing the above check the research position. If the last city in the build list (i.e. the first one built) is also the SSC there is a good chance some science will be wasted. For example, say current research costs 1000 beakers with your SSC producing 100. 900 are already present in F6 - 100 more beakers are needed for the advance to be completed. F5 shows the cities processed before the SSC are producing 99, which means that the SSC contributes one beaker usefully and wastes 99. In this case one of the smaller cities need one more beaker - usually one worker put out to sea. Then the secret of Flower Arranging is announced before the SSC has made its contribution and the capital's 100 beakers go towards the next advance.

That example was extreme and easy to resolve. Usually some compromise must be made with the Tax Rate - reducing/increasing science or gold to prevent excessive wastage.

-------------------------

SG(2)
Old May 30, 2003, 01:47   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
This is why they call it a TBS game....... and why if you play with care.....the ai will never match your brains.....