Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GTA Exclusivity Contract Ammended -- Rockstar hints at Xbox ports
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/421/421504p1.html

Quote:
May 29, 2003 - In Take-Two Interactive's conference call with analysts early this week the company said that its exclusivity contract with Sony Computer Entertainment America has been amended and, additionally, executives strongly hinted that a version of Grand Theft Auto may come to Xbox.
During the Q&A section of the conference call, Take-Two's Jeffrey Lapin stated that an unannounced SKU would appear on Xbox in the fourth quarter of the company's fiscal year (which, for Rockstar, is November to January). Lapin didn't confirm it was Grand Theft Auto, but he implied, according to a source who listened in on the call, that it was a Grand Theft Auto title. If rumor proves true, then a previously published version of the game, i.e. Grand Theft Auto III or Grand Theft Auto Vice City, is in the works for Xbox.

According to the conference transcript, the relevant question asked in the call was: "Is GTA for Xbox coming, and when it is coming?" Lapin's answer was: "We said that there will be an Xbox SKU from Rockstar in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2004 [Nov. to Jan.], but we're not going to comment on what it is at this point."

It is assumed by analysts that the Xbox title Lapin refers to isn't a version of Mafia or Max Payne 2, two potential games that have already been announced or hinted at.

SCEA's contract with Rockstar originally stated that all Grand Theft Auto titles would be exclusive to PlayStation 2 (with the exception of the PC) from 2001 to year's end 2004. Apparently, SCEA and Rockstar have re-negotiated the contract to permit the game to appear on other consoles. Rockstar is currently working on the next Grand Theft Auto title, due for year's end in 2004, which will, as we understand it, complete the original exclusivity contract with SCEA. (Unless that too has been renegotiated.)

A second question was asked: "Will the Sony deal allow you to ship a non-PS2 GTA product even if it's not the most current?" The answer was: "We're not going to comment on terms of the at deal although by the next conference call we'll be able to give some more color."

Take-Two is most likely to announce the full, confirmed news in its next analyst call this August. And you know we'll have more on that when it comes.
I wonder if it'll be like Rockstar's State of Emergency. The Xbox port of it was way better: better sound, graphics, longer singleplayer campaign, and multiplayer was added.

GTA3 multiplayer...maybe even on Live? Ohhh, speculation, but oh-so-sweet speculation.

Last edited by Asher; May 29, 2003 at 23:44.
Old May 30, 2003, 04:36   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That would be a nifty title to add to Xbox's collection. Very nice game, that.
Old May 30, 2003, 04:44   #3
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
GTA MP? What do you do? Steal each other's car?
Old May 30, 2003, 04:57   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:39
Apparently GTA 1 and/or 2 had multiplayer, so it might be like that. Or not.
Old May 30, 2003, 09:04   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

GTA multiplayer just rules...

It's more like a gang of hooligans rather than a lone wolf.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:55   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 22:39
It won't have multiplayer, that's for sure. Rockstar has always said they won't make GTA3 (or Vice City) multiplayer until they are sure that it will be equally as good as single player... which is just code for... **** off .

Likely have to wait until GTA4. Then again, multiplayer GTA doesn't even sound that good.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 30, 2003, 13:45   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:39
There's a multi-player mod for GTA 3.
Old May 30, 2003, 16:33   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff

But isn't supported by Rockstar... they've not budged on this.

And as for a longer single player campaign, I doubt that as well .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old May 30, 2003, 19:49   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
It won't have multiplayer, that's for sure. Rockstar has always said they won't make GTA3 (or Vice City) multiplayer until they are sure that it will be equally as good as single player... which is just code for... **** off .
Why wouldn't it be as good as single player?

Can you imagine being able to play cooperatively GTA3:VC over Xbox Live (broadband, voice communication?)

Can you imagine how much money MS would be willing to pay for that.
Old May 30, 2003, 20:16   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Has no interest for me. The best parts of the game (by far) are the scripted missions and the story arc. Multiplayer GTA would utterly bore the Hell of out me.
Old May 30, 2003, 21:11   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

Has no interest for me. The best parts of the game (by far) are the scripted missions and the story arc. Multiplayer GTA would utterly bore the Hell of out me.
Are you unfamiliar with how multiplayer cooperative play works?

It wouldn't be a deathmatch, you'd be working together, doing the scripted missions and the story arc, but with someone else.

Have you never played games like Halo co-op?
Old May 31, 2003, 00:55   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff

No. I usually don't play multiplayer. Waste of my time.

What is the point of playing GTA co-op? You ever play the game before, Asher? Another person (helping you) would only get in the way in some missions... and plenty of missions the other guy wouldn't really even have much to do. What, he should knock down all the cop cars and sacrifice himself so you can escape? That wouldn't be fun for me!

I don't NEED anyone else, and I don't see how they simply wouldn't get in the way.

Old May 31, 2003, 01:15   #13
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Yeah, the Xbox gets some more leftovers from the PS2! I'm as pumped for this as I was for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance!

Old May 31, 2003, 15:58   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
No. I usually don't play multiplayer. Waste of my time.

What is the point of playing GTA co-op? You ever play the game before, Asher? Another person (helping you) would only get in the way in some missions... and plenty of missions the other guy wouldn't really even have much to do. What, he should knock down all the cop cars and sacrifice himself so you can escape? That wouldn't be fun for me!

I don't NEED anyone else, and I don't see how they simply wouldn't get in the way.

The point is, it's fun. You don't need someone else, but it's damn fun terrorizing the city with your best friend rather than just alone.

It's not necessary, it's a damn good addition to most games.

You just don't understand because you're just a PC gamer, with no appreciation for social gaming.
Old May 31, 2003, 15:58   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Yeah, the Xbox gets some more leftovers from the PS2! I'm as pumped for this as I was for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance!

Getting all the AAA "leftovers" from the PS2, with improvements, doesn't hurt anyone. Because then the Xbox has the good AAA games from the PS2, in better versions, with exclusive AAA games itself.

You're just jealous because the Gamecube's in trouble.
Old May 31, 2003, 16:07   #16
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

This is some sweet news.

I never had the chance to really actually play through any of the GTA games, but if they come out for X-box, I'd definitely scoop them.

Still not as exciting as Halo 2 though.
Old May 31, 2003, 20:46   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The point is, it's fun.
No it isn't, not to me anyway. What would I care that my friend is also 'terrorizing' the town? It's just make the missions simple, resulting in lack of challenge.

In a game like GTA, having a deathmatch would also suck, because the city is too big for that (it'd have to be much smaller to make it fun... and it'd usually depend on the car you picked up and not really any skill).

GTA is MEANT to be played single player.
Old May 31, 2003, 20:52   #18
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:39
I'm with Imran on this point. I fail to see any value MP would add to a game like GTA3. It'd be akin to taking it on to a Metroid game.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 31, 2003, 21:32   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
No it isn't, not to me anyway.
You just don't get it, do you? That's fine, you don't play those kinds of games.

Play a game like ToeJam and Earl singleplayer, then multiplayer co-op. Play a game like Halo singleplayer, then multiplayer coop. Play a game like Perfect Dark singleplayer, then multiplayer coop.

It IS much more fun when you play the games with friends. At least for most people who bother trying it.

Quote:
GTA is MEANT to be played single player.
You've obviously never played the originals.

GTA was MEANT to be played multiplayer. Inadequate PS2 hardware forced them to only develop for singleplayer. GTA1, and GTA2, had incredibly popular multiplayer components.

The fact is, your assertion that they'll never put multiplayer in GTA3 is absurd. GTA3 is the first GTA game to ship without it, and that was because of a PS2 limitation.

Then you look at the market conditions: GTA3 for Xbox would be due out for Holiday 2003. The same time MS launches Xbox Live 2.0 as a free upgrade. Halo 2 was supposed to be the "killer app" for the holiday season and for Xbox Live. But it's now a 2004 game.

The solution? Throw money around. Tons of money. At Rockstar. Suddenly Rockstar has a ton of money so they can squirm out of the exclusivity deal with Sony, and MS wants a killer app for Xbox Live with a franchise with proven sales success and proven multiplayer success.

Suddenly your 'never' comment looks mighty silly...

Quote:
I'm with Imran on this point. I fail to see any value MP would add to a game like GTA3. It'd be akin to taking it on to a Metroid game.
Have you ever played GTA1 or GTA2, or more importantly, the multiplayer components?
Old May 31, 2003, 21:39   #20
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
GTA3 is the first GTA game to ship without it, and that was because of a PS2 limitation.
What's the excuse now that the game is out on the PC?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 31, 2003, 21:46   #21
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Quote:
GTA3 is the first GTA game to ship without it, and that was because of a PS2 limitation.
What's the excuse now that the game is out on the PC?
The PC version is a direct port.

MS doesn't do direct ports of big games for Xbox, they always pay $$$$ to get extras. And since they're heavily trying to promote Xbox live...
Old June 1, 2003, 01:16   #22
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

The PC version is a direct port.
Wasnt exact copy... I hear that they included few features not worth mentioning (support for mouse that turned out to be horrible, graphic improvements for whole loads of problems wit it.. etc)
Old June 1, 2003, 04:24   #23
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Apparently there is some unimplemented multiplayer code in GTA3PC, which is how some modders managed to cobble together a barely functional multiplayer mod.
Old June 1, 2003, 22:36   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
It IS much more fun when you play the games with friends. At least for most people who bother trying it.
I HAVE tried it. It's a . Unless multiplayer is competitive, it just isn't fun.

Quote:
The fact is, your assertion that they'll never put multiplayer in GTA3 is absurd. GTA3 is the first GTA game to ship without it, and that was because of a PS2 limitation.
It's because GTA3 was actually a decent game, critically acclaimed and everything and any multiplayer wouldn't be able to match the amazing single player game. You don't want to cheapen your game for a crappy multiplayer component.

Quote:
Suddenly your 'never' comment looks mighty silly...
Seeing as how Rockstar themselves basically said this, I don't think it is silly at all!

Quote:
support for mouse that turned out to be horrible, graphic improvements for whole loads of problems wit it
Mouse support is EXCELLENT! And graphics are very nice.
Old June 1, 2003, 23:40   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
It's because GTA3 was actually a decent game, critically acclaimed and everything and any multiplayer wouldn't be able to match the amazing single player game. You don't want to cheapen your game for a crappy multiplayer component.
Maybe that'd be why they'd add a good multiplayer component?

Quote:
Seeing as how Rockstar themselves basically said this, I don't think it is silly at all!
No, what they said is they wouldn't do it unless it was equally as good as the singleplayer game. Live would enable that, easily.

How do you explain the partial multiplayer support in the PC version?

Quote:
I HAVE tried it.
Oh yeah? What consoles, which games?

For someone who despises consoles as much as you do, I find this very hard to believe.
Old June 2, 2003, 00:40   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
No, what they said is they wouldn't do it unless it was equally as good as the singleplayer game. Live would enable that, easily.
How would a connectivity program enable that? Equally good as the singleplayer game has meant options and features that wouldn't make multiplayer a joke. Rockstar has basically said that deathmatch and co-op play just wouldn't be as good as the single player experience in GTA3.

Quote:
For someone who despises consoles as much as you do, I find this very hard to believe.
When someone tells me you HAVE TO TRY THIS GAME, ITS AWESOME! You kinda try it. The game was Halo. From what I remember of the little I played of it, I liked the single player game (and thus will probably get it for PC), but found the co-op pretty boring. Totally lost the immersive factor of the game that way, IMO.
Old June 2, 2003, 01:40   #27
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
but found the co-op pretty boring. Totally lost the immersive factor of the game that way, IMO.
Did you try Prisoners set on Rockets only? That was one of the best DM experiences I've ever had.
Old June 2, 2003, 01:40   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
How would a connectivity program enable that? Equally good as the singleplayer game has meant options and features that wouldn't make multiplayer a joke. Rockstar has basically said that deathmatch and co-op play just wouldn't be as good as the single player experience in GTA3.
Link?

And Live is more than a "connectivity program".

Players are 1) guaranteed to be on broadband, 2) guaranteed to have voice communication, 3) guaranteed not to be cheating

By far, the best parts of GTA1/GTA2 multiplayer was being able to just yell at your friends as you play it. On the PC, this wouldn't pan out very well (not to mention the nightmare that is PC networking support).

Quote:
When someone tells me you HAVE TO TRY THIS GAME, ITS AWESOME! You kinda try it. The game was Halo. From what I remember of the little I played of it, I liked the single player game (and thus will probably get it for PC), but found the co-op pretty boring. Totally lost the immersive factor of the game that way, IMO.

I'm lost. How is it that the co-op playing is any worse, seeing as it's the same single player experience, campaign, and levels, but with a friend?

You're seriously telling me it's more fun to drive the Warthog with the AI gunner in the back rather than you or your friend driving, while the other one mans the machine gun?

Well, if that floats your boat. Everyone else I know would tell you otherwise.
Old June 2, 2003, 16:06   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Link?
Gladly:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/410/410052p4.html

Finally, and let me assure you that Rockstar sees this one coming a mile away, we're still disappointed that there's no multiplayer mode. I've finally come to buy into Rockstar's response that they won't add multiplayer to the series until they can make it as engaging and interesting as the game's single-player mode. Our only concern at that point is that Rockstar eventually does do something new and exciting on the multiplayer front. If they're going to deny us something even as simple as a four-player mayhem mode, what they finally come up with needs to be really, really impressive.
Old June 2, 2003, 22:54   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I know they said the bolded stuff, but I asked for a link of when they said:
Quote:
Rockstar has basically said that deathmatch and co-op play just wouldn't be as good as the single player experience in GTA3.
They mean two completely different things, you know.