Old June 3, 2003, 08:24   #31
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 02:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I wish they'd just give it a shot and let us be the judge of how good it is.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:50   #32
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Um... Asher, read the rest:

Quote:
If they're going to deny us something even as simple as a four-player mayhem mode, what they finally come up with needs to be really, really impressive.
Which also would indicate that they decided co-op and deathmatch mode was also being denied to the gaming public by Rockstar.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 3, 2003, 15:23   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:39
Do you realize that "the rest" is commentary by the review and in no way said by Rockstar?

Rockstar has simply said they'd only do multiplayer if it was as good as the singleplayer. The review said if they did do something, it'd have to be stellar.

In what world does this translate into Rockstar saying multiplayer will never been included because the multiplayer game will never be as good as the singleplayer?

All the signs are there. Early multiplayer code started (and released with the PC version, hidden), renegotiated contract with Sony, MS' huge cashpile and looking for a holiday-2003 killer app featuring Xbox Live...
Old June 3, 2003, 21:19   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
In what world does this translate into Rockstar saying multiplayer will never been included because the multiplayer game will never be as good as the singleplayer?
In the world where you read between the lines. It seems like Rockstar is saying we aren't going to do a multiplayer version of this game. I mean, if they didn't do one for the PC, then I don't think they'll do one at all.

There hasn't even been a peep about an expansion to GTA3, and if Rockstar is thinking of putting multiplayer in the X-Box port, they'll undoubtably be bringing it to the PC as well (easy cash).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; June 3, 2003 at 21:29.
Old June 3, 2003, 23:37   #35
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
In the world where you read between the lines. It seems like Rockstar is saying we aren't going to do a multiplayer version of this game. I mean, if they didn't do one for the PC, then I don't think they'll do one at all.

There hasn't even been a peep about an expansion to GTA3, and if Rockstar is thinking of putting multiplayer in the X-Box port, they'll undoubtably be bringing it to the PC as well (easy cash).
I guess you're not well-versed on the console world, so I'll just let you in on some stuff:

MS spends tons of money on Xbox, especially Xbox exclusives when they can get them.
GTA3 multiplayer on Live would not only be as good as single player, it'd be better as far as I'm concerned. Ever play the Midtown Madness series online? Ever played multiplayer GTA1/GTA2? You don't know what you're missing.

With Live, Rockstar doesn't need to do anything with servers. MS hosts, MS authenticates, MS does everything. All Rockstar needs to do is drop in Live support from the Xbox XDK and add in the multiplayer modes, which exist in an unfinished, hidden form in the PC version.

MS can, and will, in all likely-hood, pay Rockstar huge sums of money to add good multiplayer support to GTA3, make the multiplayer Xbox Exclusive, then tell anyone who wants to play it "You'll need to subscribe to Live!"

And for the record, Rockstar never said, nor implied, that there'd never be a multiplayer version of GTA3. They just said if there will be one, it'll have to be as good as the singleplayer.

No one in their sane mind could "read between the lines" to mean that there would be no multiplayer from that.
Old June 4, 2003, 02:35   #36
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I guess you're not well-versed on the console world, so I'll just let you in on some stuff:

Arrogance from a Canadian always humors me.
Old June 4, 2003, 09:08   #37
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Arrogance from a Canadian always humors me.
But it's true, Imran's constantly told everyone how much he hates consoles and doesn't play them. It only makes sense that he doesn't understand how the console world works, or more specifically, why it's certainly possible for MS to throw gobs of money at Rockstar to get multiplayer in GTA3.
Old June 4, 2003, 10:57   #38
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
MP for GTA3?

[dreaming mode]
Ahhhh... the good old days, where'd you drive around the city, knowing your friends are everywhere, and ready to shoot/drive you down, whenever you show up... ahhh yeah, that was the good old days...

If they'd only made co-op mode, the game would be perfect (of course this requires the missions to be much tougher, for each player on the mission)...
[/dreaming mode]

...What, only for xBox??? Make it avaliable for PC... Rockstar, you hear me?
Old June 4, 2003, 10:58   #39
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
Does anyone know if the MP mod for GTA3 also works for Vice City?