Old May 30, 2003, 09:12   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
miriam surrenders
another new feature for me (coming from Civ2) the abject surrender of a faction. I had miriam down to one city, when she gives in and makes pact. A touch of realism, that also helps gameplay (since together with diplo victory it reduces need to go conquering everwhere to win) A nice game design touch.

Now my only real enemy is Santiago. Hive is ally, miriam has surrendered, Dierdre is marginal and in truce.

I currently have truce with Santiago. Shes east across sea from me. Im sending a colony pod to start a city (oops - a base) on an island in between, which will put my choppers withing easier reach of her major coastal cities. Should be easy win after that (actually i may have enough votes for diplo win now, but have to wait several more years to propose to council)

I realize there were several other options to attack santiago - use a sea colony pod to start a sea base - use missiles plus drop squads - or simply launch a conventional amphibious landing. But ive got so many choppers left over from previous campaigns, and i dont much care for the micromanagement of matching ground troops with transport. Oh, yeah, i also thought of using formers to create a land bridge - but again with so many choppers, whats the point?
Old May 30, 2003, 09:53   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If I didn't know any better LoTM, I'ld say we have yet another convert.

Glad your finding it enjoyable. One of the best reasons this game is such a infinitely replayable one is the multitude of approaches one can follow. You just described a circumstance wherein you could choose a numbe of avenues to a win as opposed tot he more formulaic approaches required in other games that I shall not mention. **Cough** **CIV3** **Cough**

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old May 30, 2003, 21:24   #3
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:41
I'd say destroy Deidre. From my experience (90% of my games are me as Hive), she'll eventually turn on you.

But I think you're playing as University, so I don't have much experience with Uni-Gaian diplomacy.

good job in whuppin' Miriams butt. I think I say it for everyone here that we all hate Miriam.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 30, 2003, 21:27   #4
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:41
One of the sneakier tricks I found that's entertaining is when you have another faction on the same continent as you that you don't like but don't want a Vendetta against.

What I do is make Colony pods and establish bases at the perimeter of my territory to push back the other factions border. It helps when they get that nice cluster of nutrients before I get to them.

May be an insignificant tip, but it's underhanded and fun.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 30, 2003, 22:56   #5
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

LoTM, consider the merits of building a few cheap improvements in the bases you captured from Mimi (tanks, commons, jacks), and giving her the bases back. It's a bit of a project, but it makes your submissives much more useful in helping you prosecute your wars of aggression. In addition, you may find the extra commerce income in your core bases significantly outweighs the FOPs you gain from Mimi's ravaged bases. Finally, your bureaucracy drones and conquest drones no longer need as much babysitting.

As for your military development, you're absolutely right, continue to bully your opponents with your choppers, until they get wise and start building AAA guys and interceptors to shut you down. A good tech to start beelining for is Nanometallurgy, for deep pressure hull and of course, Carrier Deck.
Old May 31, 2003, 12:47   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
LoTM, consider the merits of building a few cheap improvements in the bases you captured from Mimi (tanks, commons, jacks), and giving her the bases back. It's a bit of a project, but it makes your submissives much more useful in helping you prosecute your wars of aggression. In addition, you may find the extra commerce income in your core bases significantly outweighs the FOPs you gain from Mimi's ravaged bases. Finally, your bureaucracy drones and conquest drones no longer need as much babysitting.

As for your military development, you're absolutely right, continue to bully your opponents with your choppers, until they get wise and start building AAA guys and interceptors to shut you down. A good tech to start beelining for is Nanometallurgy, for deep pressure hull and of course, Carrier Deck.

Ive started the attack on Santiago and taken one big coastal city. She has 4 armor and AAA, so the 8 choppers are less effective - I'll either have to upgrade. or sacrifice them to wear her down (ive got enough that seems to work) I took the first city with 8 choppers and marines. i can start bringing in infantry - its only a matter of time now
Old May 31, 2003, 13:17   #7
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
One of the sneakier tricks I found that's entertaining is when you have another faction on the same continent as you that you don't like but don't want a Vendetta against.

What I do is make Colony pods and establish bases at the perimeter of my territory to push back the other factions border. It helps when they get that nice cluster of nutrients before I get to them.

May be an insignificant tip, but it's underhanded and fun.
Im a mediocre player myself, but one of my favorite tactics is poop out a couple of formers and start planting fungus around the faction's border cities.

I usually play as the gaians, and I love watching their cities choke on all that fungus All the while I have a nice path for my captured native life to roll through.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 31, 2003, 16:35   #8
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
Miriam surrenders - Oh yes, Miriam loves to surrender. She's almost always the first to surrender. There was a post where in a war without battles Miriam sent a ship all the way from north to south Planet only to surrender. Indeed, Miriam loves to surrender

Only to sneak attack you later.
Old June 1, 2003, 18:35   #9
lord of the mark
Deity

finally won, diplovictory in 2347, with my own votes, those of long time ally Hive, and newly submissive Miriam.

On to emperor (oops, I mean "thinker")
Old June 1, 2003, 20:27   #10
Sikander
King

Local Time: 19:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
Miriam surrenders - Oh yes, Miriam loves to surrender. She's almost always the first to surrender. There was a post where in a war without battles Miriam sent a ship all the way from north to south Planet only to surrender. Indeed, Miriam loves to surrender

Only to sneak attack you later.
Hee hee, that was probably me. It took over 100 years for her Unity foil with her independent scout patrol aboard to reach my continent. In the mean time, she got my frequency and had declared war (along with everyone else). She had two tiny bases on a smallish island, and by the time she got to me, she was so impressed that she just surrendered. (I was huge by then)