Old June 1, 2003, 19:46   #1
Nax
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Has there ever been a "really big city" challenge here?
I happen to actually be a newb, but I'm learning.

I've always been a fan of the really big city (you know, with ALL the wonders in it); imagine my surprise when I discovered supply crawlers and clean reactor formers.

I plan on trying a lal game going for biggest city possible. The really late hab dome was something of a shock to me, but I suppose I can cope.

I was hoping someone could clue me onto the current record for biggest city. I would also appreciate it if you could confirm my suspicions:
-Borehole = greatest raw total FOPs/square in game
-6 max boreholes/natural city radius
-2 nuts = 1 transcend = 8 nrg fop
-max nut/square = 6 w/out bonuses.
-so long as you can produce them there is no limit on the number of satelites you can produce.
-the game does not crash out or overflow at large base sizes

-Telepathic matrix not considered an atrocity?
-exactly what kind of improvements can you build in fungus to make it the most productive square in the game? (2/3/3 doesn't seem very productive to me)
-would I have to manually change all those workers to transcends one by one?

Thanks for any help.
Old June 1, 2003, 20:05   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I don't recall exactly but I thought that there is some absolute limit to the size of a single city ( 512??)-- I'm not sure

Yes boreholes are the best FoP you can get in a worked tile.

I have never seen a maximum on satellites

AS a challenge it reminds me of people trying for the highest score. You end up playing super-long turns in a game with no challenge and the fun quotiet is VERY low.
Old June 1, 2003, 20:19   #3
Sikander
King

Local Time: 19:50
Re: Has there ever been a "really big city" challenge here?
Quote:
Originally posted by Nax

I've always been a fan of the really big city (you know, with ALL the wonders in it); imagine my surprise when I discovered supply crawlers and clean reactor formers.

I plan on trying a lal game going for biggest city possible. The really late hab dome was something of a shock to me, but I suppose I can cope.
I can save you a lot of time by telling you that IIRC the max base size is 127.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
I was hoping someone could clue me onto the current record for biggest city. I would also appreciate it if you could confirm my suspicions:
-Borehole = greatest raw total FOPs/square in game
This is a very complicated question, and the answer varies depending on what tech you have. But rest assured, after satellite techs have been learned and satellites have been built, the most productive tile in the game is a farm / condensor / soil enricher, preferably with a crawler harvesting it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-6 max boreholes/natural city radius
Max borehole density is 1 in 4 tiles (same as max base density), and you are correct about 6 being the max with the possible (though unlikely) exception of a base near the borehole cluster landmark.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-2 nuts = 1 transcend = 8 nrg fop
Yes, though we often count it as 6 FOP because often those two psych points are redundant by this point in the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-max nut/square = 6 w/out bonuses.
Yes, farm / condensor / soil enricher. Nutrient specials and monsoon jungle tiles can produce significantly more of course, when terraformed as above.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-so long as you can produce them there is no limit on the number of satelites you can produce.
AFAIK yes, though you may as well stop at 127.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-the game does not crash out or overflow at large base sizes
No guarantee here, but I saw the game where Googlie? had the large base, and it didn't crash.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-Telepathic matrix not considered an atrocity?
nope

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-exactly what kind of improvements can you build in fungus to make it the most productive square in the game? (2/3/3 doesn't seem very productive to me)
You can't improve the productivity of fungus via terraforming (but you can build non-economic improvements like roads), only by building SPs (several of them affect this) and your planet rating in conjunction (higher is better). Max production (not including +2 econ) is 3-4-5 for all factions but the Gaians, who produce 4-4-5 when they have everything they need to max.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
-would I have to manually change all those workers to transcends one by one?
Unfortunately yes.
Old June 2, 2003, 02:14   #4
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 18:50
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I'm pretty sure that when a base gets larger than 127, the number rolls over into the negatives, or at least it used to in some pre-patch version.
Old June 2, 2003, 02:57   #5
Nax
Settler

Re: Re: Has there ever been a "really big city" challenge here?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

I can save you a lot of time by telling you that IIRC the max base size is 127.
Well poop.

Quote:
Yes, farm / condensor / soil enricher. Nutrient specials and monsoon jungle tiles can produce significantly more of course, when terraformed as above.
I remember reading something about the actual numbers somewhere, but can't seem to find it. Wasn't it something absurd like 32 nuts from a square or something.

Quote:
only by building SPs (several of them affect this) and your planet rating in conjunction (higher is better).
Which SPs affect it? Nethog's pages show fungus doing 2/3/3 at threshhold, and none of the SPs seem to affect fungus FOPs other than Manifold Harmonics.

In any case, now I'm at a loss as to what to do. The no facilities challenge doesn't particularly interest me. I believe Flubber when he says highest score is utterly boring.

So what exactly do you guys do to amuse yourself in the game now?
Old June 2, 2003, 04:15   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:50
127?!

the largest i've seen is 32.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old June 2, 2003, 08:21   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 02:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
We play against each other We try and trancend in under 60 turns

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 2, 2003, 08:46   #8
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:50
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that when a base gets larger than 127, the number rolls over into the negatives, or at least it used to in some pre-patch version.
thats true, happened to me in a scenario i was playing (the AI were all pacted and on a huge jungle, i had 3 bases with around 6 nut and mineral bonuses per base and an energy park for the main base, quite fun...well until they started hitting all my crawlers with noodles so i had to start slinging pb's around, planet didnt like that ) i nearly cried when the base collapsed and i lost all those units, the minerals the base is producing goes
massively into negative aswell otherwise all the crawlers that were attached to that base could have easily kept the support going.

And yes playing against each other in IP games is fun, especially when you start close to another player
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old June 2, 2003, 11:28   #9
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Has there ever been a "really big city" challenge here?
Quote:
Originally posted by Nax

Try the "switching factions" challenge. Build a faction up as well as you can and at some point ( ie when you are first in therankings or after say 75 years) you take over the LAST place faction. Build that one up and take over the last place faction again.

You find yourself in say 2250 with the worst faction and facing two monsters of your own creation. Now win

Oh and if that gets easy, you switch a third time
Old June 2, 2003, 13:53   #10
Nax
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

We play against each other We try and trancend in under 60 turns

-Jam
Which leads me to another question:

How did korn469 Transcend in 2185 with the Spartans?

I'd like to see a challenge to transcend as Miriam.
Old June 2, 2003, 19:42   #11
Sikander
King

Local Time: 19:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Nax

Which leads me to another question:

How did korn469 Transcend in 2185 with the Spartans?

I'd like to see a challenge to transcend as Miriam.
I'm not sure, but I imagine Korn played on a very small map and had himself 5 research slaves tout suite.
Old June 2, 2003, 23:29   #12
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
Re: Has there ever been a "really big city" challenge here?
Quote:
Originally posted by Nax

All the other questions appear to be handled. SO just a commnet. You can circumvent hab limits by simply having other bases build pods sending them to the taret base and hitting "B". THis is widely known as Pod booming and for themost part is considered a waste of time as the bases are ususally better served by building facilities or units.

OTOH to serve a super science city it may have value. A better varieant of this is known as the Planetary transit Pod booming whereing a base with judicious use of crawlers continues to be a pod producing base appearing and disapearing every so often. If you want details let me know I'll try to dig them up or search the boards here a ways back.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 3, 2003, 02:43   #13
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 22:50
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
It depends...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nax
... on your mood and whim.
You could:
  • Replace the faction leader portraits with people/creatures/things from other games , characters from anime/cartoon/comics , celebrities , prn stars?, body parts?
    I use the ladies from the Burn-Up Warrior anime action series: Lilika, Maki, Maria, Maya, Nambel, Rio, and Ruby. They're all so sweet .
  • Change the list of base names to anything from the wildly hilarious to the disgustingly obscene .
  • Edit alpha.txt in any number of ways to speed up ecodamage, slow or speed research, change production costs, add new technologies, and many more user-editable things. Be sure to keep a copy of the original alpha.txt or any other text or image file you experiment with!
  • Create a new faction, map, or scenario and share it here in AC-Creation!