Old August 19, 1999, 02:33   #31
Kung Sune
Settler

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Is there really noone who knows where the fourth vesion of the scneario is?
Old September 22, 1999, 00:02   #32
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:34
Well, the site that Valmont suggested did have a LOR Mac scenario and the ReadMe file/instructions said Version 3. However, Caspian and I have been trying to play it as a PBEM Hot Seat game and finally realized that his PC version 3 was different from my Mac Ver.3! My version has 57 Units in the Unit.PICT file while his Unit.GIF files has 70 units mapped in different squares! Needless to say this caused some confusion!

Caspian feels that my Mac LOR must be version 2 rather than 3. Does anyone know of another Mac conversion? Should I get brave and try to convert the PC Vers 3? Did anyone every find out about the mysterious PC ver 4? Can Harlan Thompson be contacted? and who is John Galt?

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Old September 25, 1999, 15:43   #33
af Ulm
Chieftain

Can't anyone just be nice and tell me where it's hidden.
Old September 25, 1999, 23:20   #34
MacUser
Prince

Actually that's why I just logged on! Caspian is actually playing with ver 4 and I have 3. He doesn't remember where he got it, but he is sending me the files in several pieces. If you would like me to email them to you let me have a valid email address and they are as good as yours; Kung Sune the email address in your profile is no longer valid - I tried to send them to you today. af Ulm, I will try to send them to you now.

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Old September 25, 1999, 23:48   #35
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 18:34
"I am the Great and Powerful Sauron! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
Old October 9, 1999, 11:38   #36
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If anyone is still interested in version 4... Version 4.1 of Harlan's Lord of the Rings is NOW available at http://civ2.sidgames.com
(no sounds (yet) I'm afraid).
Old October 10, 1999, 00:21   #37
Sir David
Emperor

Hey, two swedes in one thread!!! now its three...
Old October 10, 1999, 17:30   #38
af Ulm
Chieftain

Danke schön.
Old October 10, 1999, 23:37   #39
mrtemba

wow! EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION NOW! ITS AMAZING! but much harder....
Old October 12, 1999, 17:12   #40
af Ulm
Chieftain

Yeah, it's almost impossible, I didn't even get a marginal victory. And by the way it's a bit buggy too.
Old October 12, 1999, 17:14   #41
af Ulm
Chieftain

Yeah, it's almost impossible, I didn't even get a marginal victory. And by the way it's a bit buggy too.
Old October 19, 1999, 20:25   #42
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:34
Dang, and I couldn't win in the old version.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
www.sidgames.com/imperialism/
www.sidgames.com/sidportal/
www.sidgames.com/forums/
Member of the AUP!
Old October 20, 1999, 17:23   #43
Quiksilver
Settler

can someone tell me what the Lord of the Ring scenario is? ive heard of a book called that, i liked it, so im interested in this. and tell me what the website is where i can get it
Old October 21, 1999, 07:15   #44
MacUser
Prince

QuickSilver, download the file shown above for Ver 4.1 or go to the ACS Scenarios page for ver 3. Either way there is an extensive Read Me/instructions file that will explaine the game. You have read the trilogy (3 books) "Lord of the Rings" and the Hobbit by Tolkin, haven't you? If not, go get a copy of the Hobbit followed by the trilogy. You'll love them! Civ will still be here when you are done!

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Old October 21, 1999, 13:47   #45
Quiksilver
Settler

i read "The Hobbit" but when i started reading the first book of the trilogy it seemed to go too slow and i stopped when there was some big counsel or something like that.......what does ACS stand for?
Old October 22, 1999, 17:36   #46
Huey

You never finished "Lord of the Rings"? It's one of the best books I ever read...!

ACS is the site you are right now,Apolyton Civilization Site

Old October 22, 1999, 20:29   #47
MacUser
Prince

Yeah, what he said!

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Old October 28, 1999, 01:30   #48
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:34
Hi,
Ian pointed out to me that this discussion is going on- I don't check Civ2 discussions much anymore. Glad to see people are still interesting in playing this scenario.

Version 4.1 is indeed the latest version. There are sounds for that version too. I've got em, and will send them to SidGames and Apolyton soon. Jorrit from SidGames recently sent me a message asking for the latest versions of all my scenarios. I'll have to dig around and send them off- I thought everything I did was out there, but seeing how noone can find the sounds for these, that must not be the case.

What's this about a "non-Harlan" version of this scenario? I never heard about that, no one asked me any permission about fixing my stuff.

One last thing. I've given up on doing Civ2 stuff myself, but this scenario could use a bit of tinkering. Specifically, I was always bummed that I didn't have enough room in the events.txt to do everything I wanted. I've heard though that some of these more recent CD-add ons have increased the max size of the events.txt file. If this is true, I'd give an open invitation to anyone who wants to add to that file to take advantage of that space, plus fix whatever bugs there may be. Let me know if you're interested.

Harlan

PS- By the way, version 4 is much harder. I wanted it to be a big challenge and get rid of loopholes like bribing.
Old October 28, 1999, 17:02   #49
Peter Hennesy
Warlord

got ta go with quiksilver here. Lover the hobbit - one of the best books I ever read - but vcould get into lord of the rings. got stuck on book 1 to. (tho admittedly this was 20 years a\go) My question - I downloaded this a while back but havnt played it. Only remember it now. Would it be good to play even not having read the book? Or is it really a tolkeiners only job?
Old October 28, 1999, 17:03   #50
Peter Hennesy
Warlord

got ta go with quiksilver here. Lover the hobbit - one of the best books I ever read - but vcould get into lord of the rings. got stuck on book 1 to. (tho admittedly this was 20 years a\go) My question - I downloaded this a while back but havnt played it. Only remember it now. Would it be good to play even not having read the book? Or is it really a tolkeiners only job?
Old October 28, 1999, 22:28   #51
Hunter Hutchins
Warlord

Local Time: 15:34
I dont know...
Old January 14, 2000, 03:06   #52
LordEmperor Platypus
Settler

Hi all, I am really excited to try this scenario out. I downloaded version 4 from Mercators site but he didnt have any sounds with the file.
I then emailed Harlan at his hawaii email listed on the preceeding note a few weeks back but never heard back from him...

My question is... Does anyone have the sounds that go with version 4??? ]

If so please send them to me (just use the email with my profile - Garibaldi@or.freei.net)

Thanks in advance....

------------------
LordEmperor Platypus
"Platypi shall inherit the world"
Old January 17, 2000, 08:30   #53
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think Harlan didn't make any sounds. Especially his later versions tend not to have sounds. E.g. his Mongols scenario (v3) didn't have any sounds, the reason you do find sounds on my website is that I made them myself.
Old January 19, 2000, 06:57   #54
iadkins

The sound file is in the Apol db?
I think Harlan said the same sounds would work from earlier versions?

------------------
*THE DEITY*

Old January 19, 2000, 07:00   #55
iadkins

Yes, the Secondary file (sound) is in the Apol db along with V.4.

------------------
*THE DEITY*

Old January 19, 2000, 16:12   #56
LordEmperor Platypus
Settler

By golly it sure is... many thanks... either that just got updated... or I was blind the last time I checked there. In any case I am downloading the files and look forward to trying this scenario.

------------------
LordEmperor Platypus
"Platypi shall inherit the world"
Old March 10, 2000, 11:51   #57
Sieve Too
Prince

I finally got around to trying this scenario, the 4.1 version, and thought I would solicit advice from the good folks here.

First, a couple comments about the ReadMe.txt. Unfortunately, the ReadMe.txt is incorrect about several enemy unit stats which has led me to attack units I shouldn't have.

1) First and foremost: Orcs, Wolves, Wainriders, and Uruk Hai have Fp of 2, not 1. Given the large number of these units, this is fairly significant.

2) Wainriders are ADM 6/3/2 not 5/2/2. Combined with Fp 2, these are very tough units. Don't try to take them out with Dunedain unless yours are vets and they are on grass or plains. Even then it's iffy.

3) Easterlings are ADM 7/2/3 not 6/1/3.

4) Haradrim are ADM 6/3/3, not 6/2/3. Mumakil are ADM 0/4/2 not 0/3/1.

5) Your Knights are only ADM 4/2/2, not 5/2/2. As such, even vet Knights are too weak to take out even one lousy Orc. On defense, the only thing that makes them better than Pikemen is their Hps of 2 but they cost 50, whereas Pikemen cost only 20.

6) Sam is ADM 9/5/1, not 9/6/1.

7) Now the good news: Nazgul only have 6 Hps not 7. Dragons only have 4 Hps, not 6.

8) Despite these mistakes, the ReadMe is very detailed and helpful.

Now some questions:

In the south, I actively pillage my forts. I also pillage roads to slow down Wolves, Battering Rams and other high movement units. Is this a good idea?

Any ideas on how to hold the southern most Gondor city (forget the name)? It starts off surrounded by enemy occupied forts and the city itself sits on grass. As such it gets hammered by Haradrim and Dromund. I've thought of selling off the walls and letting Harad destroy the city but obviously I'd rather not do this.

What do you do about Nazgul? There are 3 up north right at the start. They kill anything they attack. Killing them with Gandalf or Radagast only transports them to the south, where things are even worse.

Which is better? Building Pikemen as fast as possible to use as cannon fodder or spending a lot of money on Dunedain?

Without giving much away, am I correct in assuming that I will eventually be able to build my own Spies? At the start of the game researching science grants an advance once every 40+ turns so I'm guessing I'm not likely to gain much of anything from research.

Thanks for any and all answers! I just started my 2nd game (got creamed on my first) and so far have found this scenario to truly be one of the best. Hats off to Harlan!
Old March 10, 2000, 15:08   #58
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 23:34
Right, lets see.

The best thing to do with the Nazgul in the north is to use your Rangers. Being air units, they can`t go far, but if they are out of cities and airbases, the Nazgul will try to attack them, but can`t. It`s the best advice I can offer.

Build Pikemen in Minas Tirith. You can build one a turn, which is handy. Try your best to back them up with reinforcements, if you can. This may be hard, but remember it was hard in the book for Gondor to pull up any reinforcements. If you have MGE, start a hotseat game with you controlling both Gondor and Rohan. This may help.

Dunedain are strong, but build them only in your most productive cities (except Minas Tirith). You start off with some in Dol Amroth (representing Prince Imrahil). Keep them there. Dol Amroth is on hills, and won`t fall if you do this.

The southernmost Gondor city is Pelargir (forget the exact spelling, might be wrong), and it is hard to hold onto. If your can, get some Dunedain into it and fortify them. Failing that, there`s not other help I can give you.

Finally, if you haven`t already done so, READ THE BOOK!. It is nigh on impossible to do this scenario if you don`t know what is going on. You have to get your heroes to go the right way towards Minas Tirith, or you will fail! Believe me, I speak from experience. I failed miserably on this, so it convinced me to read the book, and I realised that it`s one of the greatest works of literature ever.

Keep at it. It is possible to win, although I`ve only done it once.

------------------
D`oh!
Homer Simpson
Choppa
Briton Villager, AOE II
Old March 10, 2000, 16:46   #59
Sieve Too
Prince

Thanks for the response!

I've seen the Nazgul try to attack Rangers, Gandalf and Radagast - with no luck of course. However, their range is so short that they can't make it to Rivendell from the Shire.

I'll try building more Pikemen and bringing them up for reinforcements.

So you've had trouble holding on to Pelargir too? The Dunedain are strong but even vets behind walls are no match for repeated attacks by Haradrim and Dromund.

I've actually read the books 3 times. They are truly excellent. I've considered following the book but the thought of going by Moria and facing the Balrog seems ill-advisable. One question about that: In the book all the heroes leave Rivendell together for the journey, but the fellowship eventually breaks up. Do you generally send all the unique units together or do you split them up right away (some to Isengard, some stay in Rivendell, some to Minas Tirith)?
Old March 10, 2000, 19:31   #60
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 23:34
Pelargir is touch to hold onto, admittedly, but it`s supposed to be.

With my heroes, I generally send the hobbits to join the others at Rivendell, before setting off on the journey. Some do get split from the pack though (Aragorn, Gandalf) due to their increased speed. It`s not essential for them all to reach Gondor, but Aragorn and Gandalf are definitely the most important ones.

Don`t go anywhere near Moria: it`s just plain stupidity to take on the Balrog.