Old June 4, 2003, 08:49   #1
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Let's Start an "ACS" (Apolyton Civ Site) Clan
I passed the initiation rite for the "DeathLords" clan last night, and they asked me to join. However I got to thinking, "Do I really want to join a clan named DeathLords?" I talked to a bunch of the guys in the clan, and they all seem nice, but I just don't think "DeathLords" is my style.

So rather than join that clan, I thought it would be a good idea to try to start an "ACS" clan (ACS = Apolyton Civilization Site). Unlike other clans, ACS will have no initiation rite and probably won't get involved in any clan "wars". Anyone can join ACS, just put "ACS_" in front of your GameSpy name. For example, I will be "ACS_albiedamned".

Joining ACS means you are the type of player who prefers a more strategic game. While there will be no absolute rules, in general this means we like slower game speeds, bigger maps, and diplomacy game types. In general, we don't like rushing either, although as I said there will be no absolute rules.

The advantage of starting this clan is that when you log on to GameSpy, you can look for other "ACS_" players and know that they will be generally interested in the same type of game as you.

If anyone is interested, please reply to this thread. Or just go ahead and change your name to prefix it with "ACS_". But please reply to this thread also, just so I'll know if there is any interest or not. I'll be online this evening (US Eastern time), and I'll change my name then.
Old June 4, 2003, 09:37   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I haven't played any online games yet, but I will soon and was planning to have my name as ACS_Poet or something similar. So I suppose you can consider me interested.
Old June 4, 2003, 13:09   #3
ArchAngel
Settler

ok... Although i donot agree with every rules u mentioned above, i would like to join it.

my id will be :ACS_ArchAngel.
ArchAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 13:52   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
It does sound interesting. It has, for several years, been my official policy not to be joining any clans, but I feel the urge to reconsider .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 13:56   #5
albiedamned
Prince

Solver - It's not really a clan like the other clans. It's mainly just a way of identifying other people that like to play with generally the same rules.

ArchAngel - That's fine if you don't agree with the rules I mentioned. Actually, I didn't say they were rules, just general guidelines. Nothing is to say we couldn't have a Normal speed game where everyone rushes!
Old June 4, 2003, 14:07   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
Albie, that's what I like about this . Hmm, I hope someone can recognize me by the name .

BTW, my gamespy name is, of course, Solver
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 15:29   #7
Altus
Settler

Excellent idea, Albie! I look forward to conquering the world with my ACS brethren.

ACS_Altus
Altus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 17:12   #8
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I don't really like clans, tags mess up my name. But since this is a clan thats not really a clan, why bother? Would be better if we all just listed our Gamespy name on here and added each other to the buddy/friends list.

I got by ChaosLord or ChaotikVisions on it, usually keep an eye out for Apolyton people while i'm on.
Old June 4, 2003, 17:17   #9
albiedamned
Prince

Ok, looks like we've got a pretty good response. I'm definitely hoping to see some ACS_* people when I go on tonight. I'm psyched that Altus is in, since he is my hosting buddy. He's hosted practically every game I've played online, and I don't think we've ever lost together . I can't host due to being behind a NAT Router, and Altus is one of the few people who hosts games on Slow. But hopefully with this ACS clan, we can find some more people to host on Slow. Although, of course, not every ACS games has to be Slow. No rules, just general guidelines.
Old June 4, 2003, 18:03   #10
Carch
Rise of Nations MultiplayerPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 19:58
Cool ... maybe I'll actually catch some of you online tonight.

ACS_Carch
Old June 4, 2003, 20:21   #11
albiedamned
Prince

First ACS game. . . ends in Armageddon!!

I spotted ACS_Mythrandir, and we played what was supposed to be a quick 1 on 1 before dinner. Turns out we slugged it out the entire game, dead even practically the whole time. I nuked him I think 3 times, and apparently he didn't like that as he started nuking me back as soon as he could. Mythrandir mercifully nuked us into Armageddon, to end the stalemate. I believe he is going to post the recorded game somewhere, in case anyone is interested. I'll be back on later looking for more ACS'ers to play.
Old June 4, 2003, 20:25   #12
Mythrandir_SSTW
Settler

Local Time: 03:58
And this is exactly why I like the ACS initiative. I know the people I play against, and we can discuss the games we play.

I'm going to post the replay in the Strategy section.
Mythrandir_SSTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 20:45   #13
Mythrandir_SSTW
Settler

here:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=88259
Old June 5, 2003, 01:51   #14
Carch
Rise of Nations MultiplayerPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer

I just finished an exhilarating game with Albie ... a French civil war! After a long period of buildup, we finally met on the field in the Gunpowder age, and I slowly, slowly pushed my way northwest against vicious resistance to the outskirts of Paris.

I'll post the replay with comments after I have a good look at it.
Old June 5, 2003, 03:44   #15
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Great idea on the ACS tag, I would definetly look for a poly player over someone else, simply because of the shared interest. See you there.
Snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2003, 04:53   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It's nice to see that the games are starting already.

Out of curiousity, how long does a typical game take on 1v1? 2v2? on Normal Speed? on Slow Speed?

I realise that it will vary a lot, but a general figure would be useful. I expect that they'll usually take longer than a game against the AI, is that the case?
Old June 5, 2003, 07:46   #17
Mythrandir_SSTW
Settler

The games I've played so far lasted 60 through 90 minutes. A couple of times it was less than 20 minutes since I managed to classical-gunpowder rush the enemy
Old June 5, 2003, 09:18   #18
Altus
Settler

With sixty or so "Slow Speed' games behind me, a pretty even mix of "1v1" and 2v2", roughly 80% took 30-40 minutes to complete. The one big exception being an epic "1v1" played last night against Mythrandir. After forty minutes, I saw my win on the hoizon, but each time I drew near he kept snatching my victory away from me. He magnificently turned an imminent loss around - repeatedly. Three hours later it was I who resigned the match, totally exhausted and battle weary. Most of the world control was now his and my economy in disrepair. An epic testament to Mythrandir's quick wit, skill and endurance! Bravo !
Altus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2003, 09:28   #19
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Thanks guys.
Old June 5, 2003, 09:34   #20
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 20:58
Count me as curious.

Question: Anyone here using dial-up? Is it possible to play 1-1 with dial up?

If it is, I may just be trying out the Aztecs on a few of you...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2003, 10:12   #21
albiedamned
Prince

My game against Mythrandir was played at normal speed and lasted about 1 hour 15 minutes I think, thus the game time was probably similar to Altus's 3 hour battle against Mythrandir on slow speed. So the moral of the story is - if you play Mythrandir, make sure you don't have to be somewhere soon!

Regarding dial-up, you certainly can play with it, but the GameSpy interface shows the ping time. So some people might notice your slower ping times and not want to play with you. 1v1 is probably your best bet, since I guess that runs the fastest (smaller map, less units, less AI etc.). I would go on GameSpy and create a game with a clear name like "Dialup 1v1" or something like that, so that anyone who jumps into your game will know what to expect.
Old June 5, 2003, 11:38   #22
albiedamned
Prince

Diplomacy Game Tonight
Is anyone interested in getting together a big diplomacy game tonight? Respond back here if you're interested and mention what time is good for you.
Old June 5, 2003, 17:23   #23
Timeline
King

I will play a diplomacy game, but I gotta play on normal speed, slow is just too......well slow! for me anyway.

I will be on 10:15pm EST time, and I can maybe host if I need to. (anyone know how to eliminate these pop ups in windows XP when your not running a firewall?).

Hope to see some ACS members on tonight!
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2003, 17:58   #24
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 20:58
If there is someone willing to try out a dial up with me, Ill be getting online to try it out tomorrow night (tonight and most of the day tomorrow Im too busy to play at all) around 11:00 PM EST.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2003, 19:29   #25
Mythrandir_SSTW
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
I will play a diplomacy game, but I gotta play on normal speed, slow is just too......well slow! for me anyway.
That's what I thought when I started playing vs Altus. But I can assure you, once in Modern Age, slow has become too fast

(btw. I'm not playing today because for some reason my hands hurt, could it be because I played RoN for 10 hours yesterday?

(btw Altus and albiedamned, these are the two longest RoN games I've played, usually I manage to kill off the enemy (or get killed myself) in or before modern age.

Hopefully I'll see you and other Apolyton players tomorrow night
Old June 6, 2003, 11:22   #26
Ivellios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mythrandir_SSTW

That's what I thought when I started playing vs Altus. But I can assure you, once in Modern Age, slow has become too fast
Indeed, Modern Age is almost unplayable on Normal speeds Slow also gives you more of a Civ-like feeling.
Ivellios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2003, 14:28   #27
Carch

Over on RON Heaven some players are setting up a "non-clan" clan with similar goals. Check out this thread for info on the "APC" (Average Players Clan) clan:

http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...&f=1,1638,0,10
Old June 6, 2003, 15:20   #28
albiedamned
Prince

Cool. I just read that thread, and it does sound like they are kindred spirits.. Looks like they've designated room 6 as the gathering spot. So why don't we check out room 6 as well? I know everyone is basically in room 0 right now, so it will take a leap of faith to go to room 6. I'll try to bounce back and forth between the rooms for now myself.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:09   #29
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Wow, just played my first evening of RON MP and I must say that it was great fun!

I saw a few of you online (I'm ACS_Poet) and added you to my buddy list - sorry I didn't offer to play with you, but I had arranged to meet a friend from another forum for a few games this evening.

I'll catch you guys another day.

(btw, I suck at this game. )
Old June 6, 2003, 20:12   #30
albiedamned
Prince

I'll be online soon myself. I'm listening to the TSNCentral interview right now (see Bridger's post).