Old June 5, 2003, 15:50   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Need... to... control... self
I can't do it... just can't do it! I want to play a builder game. I really do. Picked the Carth and haven't had a war yet! (Am near the front of tech and have just gotten Sistine after a palace pre-build for it...) Egypt/Greece are often a tech or two ahead of me but will trade... everyone is just sooooo nice... I think they're all polite except Rome who's getting its butt kicked by Egypt and for some reason wants tribute from me when it's probably 10 techs behind and losing a big war. Anyway... no wars yet, am near front of pack, 8 civs (or whatever was default for large map, can't remember exactly), got good infrastructure and etc but I WANT TO DESTROY THEM ALL. I hate looking at their stupid colored lines pressing on my borders. I feel like just marching my army across the border and starting to wipe them all out...
But I'm trying to win a builders game... SIGH...
Old June 5, 2003, 16:09   #2
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 21:05
try starting on a good sized island. maybe an edited game to be sure you can do that. that way it will hardly be worth attacking another civ
Old June 5, 2003, 16:50   #3
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
Good advice, bobbo... I have to do just that if I want to play as a builder... if I don't have the continent to myself, I start getting aggressive.
Old June 5, 2003, 17:23   #4
Thoth
King

Patience. Build more buildings, ignore your military. The AI will attack.
Old June 5, 2003, 17:37   #5
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 21:05
yeah, just make sure youre not on too small of an island.

edit: and if you choose to attack late in the game, it will be difficult, but planning landings with air and sea support is fun.
Old June 5, 2003, 18:49   #6
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Someone's gonna come after you one of these days, mimi.
Old June 5, 2003, 19:21   #7
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Pangea is best in terms of wars, and intrigue as well as threats.

Continents usually mean you face off against 8 civs for most of the game. And since the AI isn't a major threat navally, the other 8 are usually good as trading partners and sometimes start world wars that piss you off.

Before Civ 3 hit the streets, it was promised us that AI would be more effective navally, but right now, aside from distraction invasions, the AI has yet done anything worthwhile navally. I find it odd that it can get its settlers on those islands but can't manage to send an army in the same direction.
Old June 6, 2003, 07:57   #8
mimi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MyOlde
Someone's gonna come after you one of these days, mimi.
Hey... I'm now researching electricity and still no attacks, everyone's still polite but at least I know why - I'm trading 100gpt to 3 different countries (the 3 powerhouses) for tech because I can't keep up. Switched to demo as soon as someone would sell it to me (250 gpt by the way) and ever since I am broke by buying techs! Egypt rocks now and stole 2 Wonders from me by 3-4 turns. I really really wish they were my close neighbors and I'd say to heck with this peaceful junk! But, there are 3 other nations between us and it seems as though they are all in MPP.

Got one over on the Chinese though - Japan and China went to war and China took a Japan city and their radius shrunk at the same time as coal appeared one square outside that radius. I don't have coal so I ran a settler down there, hoped they wouldn't kill me and built on the coal before they expanded. There are 2 Japan Cities and 2 now-chinese between my coal project and my own land, but hey! Sent a bunch of calvary to it and can at least build rail now since the only one with spare coal to sell is Germany, and you can imagine what they said when I asked to buy some!
Old June 6, 2003, 11:26   #9
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

I have a world war now in europe and asia I have the ottomans that occupy the russian teritory and Egypt that is located in current china. I rule the entire eurpe hehe. So egypt demanded me something and declared war at me. No in the beginning I didn't want to involve anyone in it, but i couldnt get to egypt cause no one was willing to let me pass. When egypt somehow managed to trave to Europe i caled the ottomans to declare war on them. After that almost all the country in asia na frica joined the war. Egyp was a great super power and is kicking dust now. The prob is the whole war is financed by me. I'm like spendig 150GP to the others to atack egypt. I went backward of that and now am probably 4,5 techs behind. Egypt is stripped of her power and even my knights are constantly beating their cavalery. I'm starting to end my 8 alliances agaisnt egypt and gain my money back it's good that the ottomans also paid some of the countries to join the war so it wasn't just me spending money. I'm economicy stable was earning about 200GP from trade. Waring countries pay so much for goods but countries which were at peace reduced the price by 50% . Now i have another war to fight since the egyptians cities were with very high culture they had to be burned instead of captured and the war for the free space begins. If only someone can tell me how to catch up the tech race I'm so backward thing like 6 techs behind. I have to catch up cause the ottomans are the only great great great power in game they have like i don't know the entire asia is theirs :S and a war with them ooh my it will be an expensive luxory which might end in a disaster. I'm again pissed of by the tech speed. i'm in 1400 and the indoustrious age has started excetp for me. And no i don't have accelareted productin only the normal opitons. So can anyone solve my tech prob?