Old June 9, 2003, 21:18   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How Saddam bought Al Jazeera
Here's an editorial from last thursday's WSJ. It's an interesting read.
Quote:
Jeers for Jazeera
The Qatar-based network is independent, but its journalism is wanting.

Thursday, June 5, 2003 12:01 a.m. EDT

Al-Jazeera earned the nickname "the CNN of the Arab world" by broadcasting tapes of Osama bin Laden after the World Trade Center bombing. Perhaps a better nickname would've been the "Saddam News Network." It now turns out that the network might have been an appendage of Saddam Hussein's disinformation campaign. Files recovered from Iraq's intelligence service show that al-Jazeera was infiltrated by Iraqi agents. Days after the latest allegations surfaced, al-Jazeera's director general was fired--although ostensibly for reasons other than his unusual contacts with Saddam's agents.

The Arab world, where most media are state-owned and uncritical of Arab dictatorships, certainly needs an independent TV media outlet. Al-Jazeera had substantial promise; the emir of Qatar, who gave the station $150 million in seed money in 1996, apparently meant it when he said he wouldn't interfere in its broadcasts. He may now regret his hands-off approach as evidence mounts that al-Jazeera's anti-Western tilt may have stemmed from more than just ideological opposition to U.S. foreign policy.

While appalling, the evidence now surfacing about Saddam's reach shouldn't be all that surprising. The Iraqi dictator had a long history of trying to distort news reports and compromise journalists. Last month The Weekly Standard's Stephen Hayes laid out some of Saddam's methods. "Media people were paid monthly by the Iraqi Embassy in Amman," Jordanian journalist Salama Nimat told him. "They were also given presents, like cars and expensive watches." Saddam Hussein even built a housing complex for the Jordanian Press Association that cost $3 million. "In the newspapers in Jordan, you wouldn't have seen anything negative about Saddam Hussein," Mr. Nimat added. "I don't want to generalize too much, but many of the editors were bought by the regime." A top Egyptian editor told The Wall Street Journal in 1991 about a fascinating conversation he had with Saddam: "I remember him saying, 'Compared to tanks, journalists are cheap--and you get more for your money.' "
It's not a big leap, then, to believe that Saddam tried to corrupt employees of al-Jazeera. The network reaches an audience Saddam needed to manipulate, which is why he had the network infiltrated by three Iraqi intelligence agents, as the Times of London reported last month. The Times has files, recovered from Iraqi archives and authenticated by experts on Iraqi intelligence, that show that the Iraqi agents worked inside al-Jazeera to obtain favorable coverage of the regime and spiked negative stories. One story the agents spiked was a 1999 report that would have shown footage of the regime's 1988 chemical attack on a Kurdish city.

The files, which cover the period between 1999 and 2002, show that one agent working in the international division, code-named Jazeera 2, "provides us with detailed information of all that takes place in the channel" and even passed on letters written by Osama bin Laden. Iraqi officials refer to al-Jazeera in their memos as "an instrument employed by us." Al-Jazeera says that such charges are preposterous, although it acknowledges that the man known as Jazeera 2 was "terminated some time ago."

The most important name to surface in the Iraqi intelligence files was that of Mohammed Jasim Al-Ali, who served as the network's managing director from its founding in 1996 until his firing last week. A former official with Qatari television, he is listed in the files as having had extensive contacts with Iraqi intelligence, although there is no indication either that he was an agent or that he was being blackmailed by Iraq.

Al-Jazeera insists that Mr. Jasim's firing last week had nothing to do with the discovery of the Iraqi files. Jihad Ballout, an al-Jazeera spokesman. says "these rumors and allegations about al-Jazeera are not taken at face value." He noted that Mr. Jasim retains a seat on al-Jazeera's board of directors and claims that he simply left because he always planned to return to his post at Qatari television.

Ibrahim Hilal, the editor in chief of al-Jazeera, told Channel 4 News in Britain that he didn't believe Iraqi agents had worked at his network, but he added that "you can never guarantee that any person working in a newsroom cannot be an intelligence agent."

Perhaps, but the burden is on with al-Jazeera to clean up its act. Only last month it aired a tape it said was from Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's deputy, who called on Muslims to engage in terrorism against Jews, Americans and their allies. Al-Jazeera aired the tape--giving whoever who made the tape a platform to stir up hatred--instead of having a reporter paraphrase its content.

Al-Jazeera would also to do well to stifle its sneers at other media outlets trying to report on the Arab world. In April, Mr. Hilal trashed reporters for Radio Sawa, a new information channel funded by the State Department: "Arabs understand that it is a tool of the U.S. government." Are Arabs fully aware of the extent to Arab reporters became tools of Saddam?

I was in Qatar in April for a conference on the economic modernization of the Middle East hosted by Freedom House, Americans for Tax Reform and the government of Qatar. One of the panels dealt with the importance of establishing a free press, and I was scheduled to appear with Mr. Hilal, the editor-in-chief of al-Jazeera. He didn't show, and an empty chair on the dais was the only representation from the Arab media on the panel. (Later, someone told me that Mr. Hilal had been called to liberated Baghdad on short notice.)
I wish Mr. Hilal had been there. I took pains to praise al-Jazeera for trying to be an independent media voice but cautioned it to avoid the worst excesses of Western news channels. I would have asked him about al-Jazeera's decision to air video of murdered U.S. prisoners of war, a curious one since a few days later it rejected a request from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to air an ad that featured graphic images of slaughtered animals because it was too graphic. After I raised this mild criticism of al-Jazeera, a well-dressed woman in the audience walked out in disgust.

Another issue I raised concerned the different treatment two congressmen attending the Qatar conference received at the hands of al-Jazeera. Both members, Democrat Nick Rahall of West Virginia and Republican Darrell Issa of California, were invited to appear on a prime-time show. Mr. Rahall opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and Mr. Issa a supported it. Shortly before Mr. Issa was scheduled to go to al-Jazeera's studios, he was told that plans had changed and he wasn't needed. When Mr. Rahall arrived at al-Jazerra, he told me, he was ushered onto the set where the announcer told the audience that Mr. Issa had chosen not to appear and so Mr. Rahall would have to answer the questions prepared for both men.

I called Mr. Hilal's office to raise these questions again, but an aide said he was traveling again. I can understand why in the wake of recent revelations he might want to spend more time out of the office. Al-Jazeera has a fair distance to travel before its reports are accorded the respect and credibility its supporters in the Arab world say it wants to earn.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:20   #2
Oerdin
Deity

The short version is Saddam paid off many Arab reporters, especially in Al Jazeera, to guarentee they only aired pro-Saddam and anti-western articles prior to the last Gulf War.

Does anyone still think Al Jazeera is a creditable source?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:21   #3
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And people actually believed Al Jazeera... Even on this forum..
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:25   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:18
So, if I understand correctly, Saddam has had Al-Jazeera infiltrated, the biggest broadcast of the Arab world. And based on his past behaviour, he might have corrupted the Al-Jazeera people.

And the point is ? That Al-Jazeera is about as fair and balanced as FOXnews ?

MMore seriously, I thought all countries had some part of the intelligence devoted into infiltrating the press and easing disinformation and propaganda. I've read before the beginning of the war that there was such a specialized unit in the pentagon, whose role was to infiltrate Western news outlets in order to have the population more favourable.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:28   #5
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 04:18
Quote:
And people actually believed Al Jazeera... Even on this forum..
there wasn´t that much to believe. the homepage was destroyed by some hackers and the broadcast station was bombed during the war.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:31   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
More seriously, I thought all countries had some part of the intelligence devoted into infiltrating the press and easing disinformation and propaganda. I've read before the beginning of the war that there was such a specialized unit in the pentagon, whose role was to infiltrate Western news outlets in order to have the population more favourable.
Nope, psyops never infiltrates anyone and it is against the law for them to lie or to publish/disiminate miss information.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:32   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

So does that still mean Fox News is the Al Jazeera of the United States?

or are they off the hook?
Old June 9, 2003, 21:39   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:18
How Republicans bought Fox News.

Someone start this threa,d please.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:42   #9
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
honestly, even if al jazeera was bought, it was an interesting spin on the news...

i don't see what the problem is, so long as one doesn't make al jazeera one's only source of news...
Old June 9, 2003, 21:44   #10
Oerdin
Deity

The problem is with journalistic integrity; especially Al Jazeera's...
Old June 9, 2003, 21:47   #11
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I have to admit, if Saddam would give me 3 million $ for posting propaganda here, I would accept the money and do it.
it´s just I´m stupid enough doing this without being paid for it.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:50   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Don't you think it is valuable to know which news services willingly try to pass off propoganda as journalism? Don't you think that if you expose fraud that it will help to make fraud less common?
Old June 9, 2003, 21:51   #13
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Nope, psyops never infiltrates anyone and it is against the law for them to lie or to publish/disiminate miss information.
And that stops them? Sorry, but the CIA has been spoonfeeding the American media for years.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 9, 2003, 21:56   #14
Q Classic
Emperor

oerdin, that's true. however, i find that a lot of news sources, when close to government sources, often do try to pass off propaganda as journalism.

so long as the government can pay off capitalist corporations, you'll have yellow journalism to one degree or another.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:57   #15
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Don't you think it is valuable to know which news services willingly try to pass off propoganda as journalism? Don't you think that if you expose fraud that it will help to make fraud less common?
absolutely. and that´s why I watch several news, read several papers and surf through several pages. I don´t really have to know, who exactly pays for the propaganda. but there´s always someone behind it, paying for spreading a certain opinion. in many cases I can about figure who.
al jazeera was never a source for me, btw. mostly I saw some al-jazeera related clips in CNN. so I´m not quite sure, if I was watching CNN or al-jazeera in these cases.
Old June 9, 2003, 22:03   #16
Ned
King

Local Time: 19:18
Well, with the NY Times, LA Times and CNN fiasco's still front page news in the United States, journalist integrity has become a major issue in America today. To the extent that any media outlet is found to be "lying" by selective reporting or by out-and-out fabrication, that media outlet loses its credibility unless it goes out of it way to restore trust.

The NY Times has done this by cleaning house. CNN has not done this because it continues to admit that it biases its news coming out of Middle East. The LA Times has not done this because it admits that it provides a liberal spin to its reporting and has done nothing to change its biased reporting.

It looks like Al Jazeera may be cleaning house of corrupt management and reporters. They may be on the road to credibility. They are to be applauded.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:19   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

if Saddam gave me $3 million, I'd buy a gun and shoot him...

of course Al Jazeera is crap... but its sad that people can't see that other news sources *COUGHFOXCOUGH* are just as biased and stupid.
Old June 10, 2003, 00:39   #18
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
News is propaganda with a cute blonde presenter.
Old June 10, 2003, 00:44   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

The CIA doesn't "spoonfeed" the news... (FOX may be an exception, but I think their idiocy originated internally)
Old June 10, 2003, 01:10   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

News will be biased until there are AI robots that report it... and even then, one should be wary of eccentric programmers.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:27   #21
Q Classic
Emperor

bbc has some of the most attractive presenters...
Old June 10, 2003, 07:52   #22
C0ckney
King

you clearly haven't seen that ladyboy they had reporting on news 24 uke:

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 10, 2003, 08:13   #23
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

So you're the one who watches BBC News 24!
Old June 10, 2003, 08:24   #24
C0ckney
King

:

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 10, 2003, 09:35   #25
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
The CIA doesn't "spoonfeed" the news... (FOX may be an exception, but I think their idiocy originated internally)
Not only do they spoonfeed the news, but they have actually written articles that have been printed in major US papers. The New York Times has been particularly bad in this regard.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 10, 2003, 09:39   #26
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I trust noone - except my Mummy.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 10, 2003, 11:44   #27
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
I trust noone - except my Mummy.

does she provide a newspaper by the way?
Old June 10, 2003, 11:52   #28
Ned
King

Local Time: 19:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
News will be biased until there are AI robots that report it... and even then, one should be wary of eccentric programmers.
So long as human beings report the news, there will be biases in their reporting. To combat this, a news source should have reporters on both sides of the political spectrum covering events.

The perceived problem with FOX is that all the reporters seem to be from the right; but they deny this. The admitted problem with the LA Times is that all its reporters are from the left.

Al Jazeera needs to balance its reporting by having at least some "moderates" on its staff that are openly in favor of democracy and of peace with Israel.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:00   #29
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
So long as human beings report the news, there will be biases in their reporting. To combat this, a news source should have reporters on both sides of the political spectrum covering events.
No, the solution would be to have people keep their political beliefs to themselves.
Old June 10, 2003, 19:54   #30
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by oedo

does she provide a newspaper by the way?
Only when I have an accident.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?