President of the OT

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
May 2003 corp/gov't security breaches: Windows: 3,801 Linux: 19,208
Draw your own conclusions.
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles...rticleID=39231

Quote:
Linux Not as Secure as Windows Server
Curiously, this news will come as a surprise to some people, but according to a report from the security experts at mi2g, open-source poster child Linux is losing the security fight--big time--to Windows Server. Yes, you read that right: In May 2003 alone, Linux-based corporate and government systems experienced 19,208 successful breaches worldwide, whereas similarly oriented Microsoft Windows Server systems suffered only 3801 breaches. During this time period, more than 75 percent of all server-based breaches occurred on Linux systems; Windows systems were responsible for just 15 percent of breaches. Furthermore, the reports says that Windows-based systems were far more resilient than Linux-based systems during the Iraq war months from March to May 2003, a time of increased hacking activity. mi2g, which has been tracking server attacks since 1995, now oversees a database that contains more than 220,000 individual attacks and more than 7000 hacker groups. So why are Linux servers more easily compromised? The security experts quote several primary reasons: First, most Linux servers are improperly configured and don't come with decent default security configurations. Second, the open-source community doesn't have a coherent "trustworthy computing" initiative. Third, Linux is a target because of its increasing popularity in the server world. And, fourth, Frank Stallone. In other words, everything I've been saying about Windows, Linux, and security not only is true but is evolving in a wonderfully predictable way. Shouldn't we stop all the bogus "Windows isn't secure" baloney when a far less secure competitor is just waiting to be compromised?
Old June 9, 2003, 23:10   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: May 2003 corp/gov't security breaches: Windows: 3,801 Linux: 19,208
While it's probably true....You really should find a less-biased source
Old June 9, 2003, 23:12   #3
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 23:18
Hackers have better taste in targets.

How many Linux servers vs Windows servers are there?
And what about Unix and other flavors of servers?

(Just to place it in some context)
Old June 9, 2003, 23:12   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/frameset.ph...ess/110702.php

for the source from...the source.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:14   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:18
Okay.

First question - what is the source of said statistics?
Old June 9, 2003, 23:18   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Edan
Hackers have better taste in targets.

How many Linux servers vs Windows servers are there?
And what about Unix and other flavors of servers?

(Just to place it in some context)
http://archive.infoworld.com/article...er.xml?s=IDGNS

Windows Server: 49%
Linux: 25.7%

Although other sources say differently:
Old June 9, 2003, 23:22   #7
Urban Ranger
Deity

And, of course, there's also this interesting bit from CERT: all current issues are Windows-related.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:23   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Nice attempt at a countertroll, but more glaring is how you're trying to sidestep the issue that, in reality, although Windows servers vastly outnumber Linux ones, Linux security breaches vastly outnumber Windows.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:26   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
According to a new Aberdeen Group report, open-source solution Linux has surpassed Windows as the most vulnerable OS, contrary to the high-profile press Microsoft's security woes receive. Furthermore, the Aberdeen Group reports that more than 50 percent of all security advisories that CERT issued in the first 10 months of 2002 were for Linux and other open-source software solutions. The report muddles the argument that proprietary software such as Windows is inherently less secure than open solutions. And here's another blow to the status quo: Proprietary UNIX solutions were responsible for just as many security advisories as Linux in the same time period. Could Windows be the most secure mainstream OS available today?

"Open-source software, commonly used in many versions of Linux, UNIX, and network routing equipment, is now the major source of elevated security vulnerabilities for IT buyers," the report reads. "Security advisories for open-source and Linux software accounted for 16 out of the 29 security advisories--about one of every two advisories--published for the first 10 months of 2002. During this same time, vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft products numbered seven, or about one in four of all advisories."

The stunning report makes several claims that seem to fly in the face of widely accepted beliefs. First, the Aberdeen Group says that Windows-based Trojan horse attacks peaked in 2001, when CERT released six such advisories, then bottomed out this year, when CERT didn't issue any alerts. However, Trojan horse-based attacks on Linux, UNIX, and open-source projects jumped from one in 2001 to two in 2002. The Aberdeen Group says this information proves that Linux and UNIX are just as prone to Trojan horse attacks as any other OS, despite press reports to the contrary, and that Mac OS X, which is based on UNIX, is also vulnerable to such attacks. Even more troubling, perhaps, is the use of open-source software in routers, Web servers, firewalls, and other Internet-connected solutions. The Aberdeen Group says that this situation sets up these devices and software products to be "infectious carriers" that intruders can easily usurp.

According to the Aberdeen Group, the open-source community's claim that it can fix security vulnerabilities more quickly than proprietary developers can means little. The group says that the open-source software and hardware solutions need more rigorous security testing before they're released to customers. This statement is particularly problematic because many Linux distributions lack the sophisticated automatic-update technologies modern Windows versions contain.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:34   #10
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:18
Asher, you are so pro-microsoft you are starting to even scare me...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:36   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Just the facts, Fez, just the facts.

It annoys the hell out of me when Linux zealots run around saying everyone should switch to Linux because it's more secure.

Whoever's saying that obviously doesn't check for updates, my Linux partition gets about 30 security patches a week. (literally)
Old June 9, 2003, 23:38   #12
Giancarlo
King

Cute Asher.. very cute.. You really know how to clobber people with those things you call facts... Well you aren't as bad as MtG.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:44   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Well you aren't as bad as MtG.
As good as, you mean.

By the time I get to be his age, I sure as hell hope I am.
Old June 10, 2003, 00:10   #14
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

As good as, you mean.

Stay away from me.. Anybody who has MtG as one of their rolemodels will successfully scare me away.

Just imagine.. Asher taking control of this forum...
Old June 10, 2003, 00:41   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:18
linux sucks - it isn't Windows

you want a secure, efficient, powerful, RELIABLE OS? get windows XP
Old June 10, 2003, 01:13   #16
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Nice attempt at a countertroll, but more glaring is how you're trying to sidestep the issue that, in reality, although Windows servers vastly outnumber Linux ones, Linux security breaches vastly outnumber Windows.
In reality? As I said, we know nothing of how this statistic is derived, this, completely meaningless.

P.S. Oh yeah, the Aberdeen Group
Old June 10, 2003, 01:16   #17
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

you want a secure, efficient, powerful, RELIABLE OS? get windows XP
Such ignorance
Old June 10, 2003, 01:22   #18
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Furthermore, the Aberdeen Group reports that more than 50 percent of all security advisories that CERT issued in the first 10 months of 2002 were for Linux and other open-source software solutions.
Interestingly, an analysis of 2003 CERT advisories shows a different picture, yet Glonkie banish the new analysis with a wave of hand, but quotes the Aberdeen Group report to support his argument.

Talking about selective.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:32   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
linux is fun...

should everybody switch? no. but should people use it if they want? sure.

besides, it's not like i have anything a hacker wants. except plans for world domination, maybe.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:34   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
HEY! Let's be reasonable for a second.

There just are times you love the BSD.

Windows. For when you're too lazy to do anything else.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 10, 2003, 03:48   #21
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 19:18
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
HEY! Let's be reasonable for a second.

There just are times you love the BSD.

Windows. For when you're too lazy to do anything else.
Yeah. Like those times when you figure out you're in business to make money, not to make some political statement out of choosing an obscure OS.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:49   #22
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

As good as, you mean.

You'd better be better by then.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:51   #23
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Asher, you are so pro-microsoft you are starting to even scare me...
Asher's just the vocal advocate. Some of us are just taking our pro-MS positions to the bank.
Old June 10, 2003, 04:23   #24
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
That arguement is as valid as...

Windows sucks because it doesn't have a cute penguin mascot and it's not invented by a Finn.
Old June 10, 2003, 04:24   #25
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 06:18
Quote:
Second, the open-source community doesn't have a coherent "trustworthy computing" initiative
Yes, we do. It's called OpenBSD . Honestly, although I only use Linux myself, I've become more and more positive towards the BSDs lately... and to do some finger-pointing, RedHat sucks ! I think they've never heard about the value of 1) using pristine sources (which tend to be less buggy than patched ones, especially if you write the patches yourself) and 2) disabling everything by default and letting the admins enable stuff as needed...

As for the study... well, I don't have the means to pay for it so I'll just have to wait for someone else to check its credibility... especially since there was no connection between what was said about the study at mi2g's site and what WinInfo reported...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old June 10, 2003, 04:27   #26
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:18
I honestly couldn't care less what OS people use, and I should imagine I speak for the vast majority of people.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old June 10, 2003, 04:28   #27
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
I wouldn't wonder if there has been some warm handshakes in the background between this Aberdeen Group and Microsoft, nor would I wonder if MS would own them.

Speaking of non partial statements, the FBI has issued several warnings regarding Windows products like Win XP and its UPnP support. Also NSA has clearly chosen Linux with its NSA Linux initiative. Let that speak for itself.
Old June 10, 2003, 04:56   #28
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I knew it was Frank Stallone's fault
Old June 10, 2003, 05:51   #29
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
I wouldn't wonder if there has been some warm handshakes in the background between this Aberdeen Group and Microsoft, nor would I wonder if MS would own them.
There were some massive controversies over the last Aberdeen Group study that Glonkie quoted. IIRC, the study was found to be funded by Microsoft. I will try to locate some sources.
Old June 10, 2003, 09:01   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

UR...the "study" of the Aberdeen group consisted of someone looking at the CERT statistics and telling everyone what they were.