Old June 11, 2003, 18:23   #61
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Frank Stallone and ottok in the same thread Surpise!
Old June 12, 2003, 01:24   #62
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
btw, asher... are you trying to convert anyone? i mean, i don't really have any strong emotion towards microsoft... but i resent feeling like i'm being prosetylized to.

linux has its purposes, as does *nix, and windows, and mac. people will use what they want. let them.

give it a rest, man.

indeed, the only computer company i actively detest is AOL, and it's less to do with its godawful "internet" than with what it did to Time Warner.
Old June 12, 2003, 01:25   #63
Q Classic
Emperor

pushy prosetylizers are often the ones least heeded.

look at the baptists standing at street corners asking people if they've been saved?

or handing out chick tracts...
Old June 12, 2003, 01:44   #64
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:18
Quote:
btw, asher... are you trying to convert anyone?
Convert? No.
Awaken? Yes.

I don't see why you'd feel I was "prosetylizing" you, because I haven't made any posts towards you except for this one.

If you don't wanna read it, don't read it. Perhaps some people will benefit from having their illusions shattered and reality sink in.

I'm just totally confused why an idle fence-sitter like you takes offence when somebody presents a case against the mythical benefits of open source security, in a thread about that very thing.

I also think that you did a stunning job by somehow taking a thread about server security into something about "letting people use what they like". People can use what they like, but a much-touted "benefit" of Linux was supposedly how secure it is compared to Windows. Clearly, that's not the case.

So what's your problem? Don't read what you don't like. And don't clutter the thread with off-topic trolls like that one.
Old June 12, 2003, 01:51   #65
Q Classic
Emperor

lol it sounds like conversion. and i'm not offended, just kinda tired of it, because it seems like whenever you or agathon or what not start a thread talking about the merits of one os or another, it devolves quite quickly into "my os can beat up your os".

anyway, the security issue doesn't affect me at all. i've got nothing a hacker would want to steal, and i'm going to be helping to put windows server 2000 or 2003 (i want the latter, but not until sp1 comes out) on a network where i'm working.

security is something that can only be acheived with vigilance; indeed, windows can be just as vulnerable as linux if the sysadmin has his head up his arse and doesn't update for the patches.