Old June 10, 2003, 01:02   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should I get PTW?
I really like civ3 and I'm thinking about getting PTW. I like the new single player features such as the new worker actions (especially building the airfield). I also would like some of the new civilizations. Anotehr thing I'd really like is the rename unit feature. I'd name every unit names like the 19th Royal Leeds Rifles, the 24th Seattle Regiment, the 3rd Marines, or the 14th Spokane Volunteers etc. etc. And I'm name carriers after leaders, battleships after cities, submarines after mythological figures such as HMS Titan or USS Einherjar, and AEGIS Cruisers after animals, and other ships names such as Dauntless. I'm straying from the point, but you can tell how much I'd like that feature. And then you get multiplayer. I'd think it'd be awesome to have this, but I've heard the multiplayer is so bad especially for 56k (my connection) that it's not even worth trying. I also do not have a job and I have little money. Should I get it?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 10, 2003, 01:08   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes.

For the SP experience, it's worth the money.

Improved AI
More units
More Civs
More buildings

Having 24 civs to play against makes for nice games when you set your civs to random. The 16 in Civ III was getting a bit state after a while.

Oh John, be sure to BUY a copy and not go the other route as I saw you suggest in the other thread.
Old June 10, 2003, 01:49   #3
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
Oh John, be sure to BUY a copy and not go the other route as I saw you suggest in the other thread.
The reason why I want to get it off the net is not what you think. I'm not a thief, but it's actually because my parents are freaks and regulate my spending. They won't let me buy any more games because of the years I've bought a ton. So I end up spending about the same money on games per year whether I reall want some games or not. I only get to buy a couple per year (there's no limit but after that they won't let me buy). So I might not be getting the game anyway but it'd be nice to have it. What I mean is is it worth it to spend my precious 'game rations' if you will on this game instead of another.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 10, 2003, 01:55   #4
dexters
King

Get your dad addicted, or get a job. Civilization is played by a surprisingly large number of adults. I'm 22, and I'm probably on the young scale of playerbase.

Besides, show your parents what Civilization is. Whip out the Civiciclopedia. Dazzle them with your knowledge of Hammurabi and his code of laws. If they are the computer illeterate type, they'll think its Ecarta in game format.
Old June 10, 2003, 01:58   #5
dexters
King

Use Catchwords like Edu-tainment , Learning world history, where applicable.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:30   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:19
hi ,

yes its worth it

and it aint costing that much , .....

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2003, 08:23   #7
tomcat ha
Warlord

Local Time: 04:19
i think im the jungest civ 2 player ever started playing it when i was 8 or 9 or so
Old June 10, 2003, 09:46   #8
georges bonbon
Warlord

Buy it, playing PTW will make you think even harder than CivIII.
Old June 10, 2003, 10:15   #9
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:19
Less than 20 bucks
I got it cheap at a game store (new too) - should cost just under $20 at Walmart (etc). And you can try Ebay and may get it for even less, but... I didn't have any luck on Ebay 'cause I didn't want a Thai version. Might be more of them listed now though... these things go in spurts it seems.

I got mine a week ago and love it! I've been turned evil though so I'm not sure that's so good for my mental health. Am busy thinking of ways to get halfway across the continent to burn down a Korean Wonder City when I really should be completing something at work since my deadline is 3 hours from now...

(So why am I here typing...?????)
Old June 10, 2003, 10:28   #10
dexters
King

mimi, so you plan mass genocide now?
Old June 10, 2003, 10:40   #11
sozopol
Settler

I'm also considering getting PTW... Any other opinions? I've seen a lot of complaining about it on this site; it's buggy, it's not worth the money, etc. I'd be playing single-player, probably not multi-player (56K). I like the sound of better AI, though, and if that is really the case, I'd consider it.
Old June 10, 2003, 10:47   #12
dexters
King

It's not buggy if you play single player.

And frankly Civ is too slow a game for MP. I guess if you have another Civvy friend who can do a quick game. But it's no StarCraft.

Trust me. The SP stuff are worth it. For me, the improved AI is worth it. Anything that makes my game more interesting.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:16   #13
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Yup it's worth it Now only if I could find a way to declare a war on the ottomans and win it and take over the city of Istanbul. That city alone produces 50 CP per turn LOL but i have 5 colonies that i won't be able to defend in a war if my spy is write that guy has hundreds of troops and yes he has i don't know how many cities but porpbably 3x more than me. Oh sorry off topic yup ptw is great value if you can buy the Us version of course LOL
Old June 10, 2003, 12:24   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I say it is worth it. It has added new elements so on and so forth.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 10, 2003, 15:26   #15
Boracks
Warlord

I posted this question here some months ago and was assured PTW was worth it for single player alone. So I bought it and I have to say that it is worth it for single player.

Buy it, you'll like it.

(IMHO, of course. )
Old June 10, 2003, 16:02   #16
Brundlefly
Prince

Things to do instead of buying PTW:

1) Exercise;
2) Interact with other people (face to face);
3) Find a girlfriend;
4) Get laid.

If you follow this advice, you will thank me later...
Old June 10, 2003, 16:15   #17
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Things to do instead of buying PTW:

1) Exercise;
2) Interact with other people (face to face);
3) Find a girlfriend;
4) Get laid.

If you follow this advice, you will thank me later...
hahahhahahahahhahahahahahaha, this is one of the funniest thing I've ever heard in this forum! hahahahahah

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old June 10, 2003, 17:51   #18
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 05:19
it is well worth you money and more worth your time than a normal sex life

cheers
Old June 10, 2003, 22:20   #19
Hellish
Settler

I started playing civ of my SNES, im 17 now
Old June 11, 2003, 08:59   #20
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 22:19
Well actually after that latest non PTW patch (got a new comp at the beginning of April & reinstalled C3) I found I could rename my Elites after they generated GL's Well it was new to me at least (and very cool)!