Old June 11, 2003, 09:34   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sucky Great Leaders
I thought, hey, I'll try the Au 208 game. And I'll play the Mongols on Regent.

So there I am, 4 cities founded before making contact with anyone (got 3 techs and a settler from huts). Of course, then I'm at war with 2 nations within a turn of meeting them. Wonderful... I have archers...

So I head on up to the first civ and begin my battles. 2nd attack gives me a GL and for the first time I get to name my units. Very cool I think. So my leader heads home and builds the Pyramids all by himself.

3 more battles and I have a 2nd GL! Even more wow... so he heads back and builds an army 'cause I don't want to waste him on the Collosus which is the only wonder I can build.

My next battle? ANOTHER GL! Wow... I send him home and save him while I try to fend off the other civ that has marched down to beat me up. Then I rush the Great Library with him which is very exciting...

So then my defending elite spear generates a 4th GL!!!!!! I'm not kidding. I haven't had 4 GL in total before this game!

So, why is this sucky you ask? Because I'm trying to play that stupid AU 208 and I can't stand the frustration of it 'cause I waited too long to take out the civ to my NE and now all I can do is keep up my defence... can't make enough troops with 4 towns to launch an offensive and I loose about 1 unit per turn in defensive battles. And they've just trashed my roads so I can't get to my Western city fast enough to assist it's defence against that other civ.

So, for the 1st time I get a plethora of GLs and they're no use to me 'cause I can't continue this game 'cause I'm gonna get crushed!!!!

(and a Q while I'm here... how do you use resources that are on a different landmass if that resource is within your borders? Is there a tech/city improvement other than harbors you have to have first?)
Old June 11, 2003, 12:51   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You need to have a Harbor on both land masses and they need to have "line of sight". That is you need to be able to use the tiles in between. This means if they are sea tiles, no problems, but if they are ocean you will need to have astrom (I think that is the tech).
You could also do it with airports, but that is a bit late for AU208.
You should post this in the spoiler thread for au208.
Old June 11, 2003, 16:31   #3
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does AU 208 increase the odds of GL's?

Too many leaders sounds like a good thing, almost. I'm playing a game now where I have them coming every 5 or 6 turns(lots of fighting ). The good news is that I'm able to build every available wonder almost immediately after I discover the tech(no wonders for the AI ). The bad news is that the city I build them in (my capitol) is 4 turns away which means that(in theory) many possibly GL-generating battles are 'vasted'

Remember that your trade lines can only go where your ships can stay. Before astronomy(or the lighthouse) enemy territory and units(including barbarians) will interrupt your trade lines.
Old June 11, 2003, 17:15   #4
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Does AU 208 increase the odds of GL's?
Only in that you are alway or nearly alway at war and if you picked a military civ.
I say nearly as I two got peace for a time when all the civs I knew were eliminated, so I have no one to be at war with for a time.
Old June 12, 2003, 12:32   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:26
I was the Zulu one game and I won about 15 battles with elite and I didn't get a leader.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 12, 2003, 15:33   #6
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That's normal isn't it? Whatever the odds you are not guaranteed anything.
Old June 12, 2003, 16:17   #7
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 22:26
What is AU 208? Is it a scenario?
Old June 12, 2003, 17:59   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
What is AU 208? Is it a scenario?
It is a scenario created for the Apolyton University.
208 is the course number, cute huh.
It is an extreme map and you are required to declare war at the first contact with any civ and never accept peace.
Old June 12, 2003, 18:02   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I was the Zulu one game and I won about 15 battles with elite and I didn't get a leader.
Don't feel bad, I just finished AU401 at monarch level as Cleo and I got my first leader in 1730 AD and only got one more in the whole game. This is the lowest numner I have ever seen.