Old June 13, 2003, 16:15   #1
kurek
Settler

Local Time: 03:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Some Questions
I bought Civ3 pretty much when it first came out, I was immensely disapointed.
For starters I couldnt even make a proper scenario!
When I played the world map all locaions were random.
And the game took up loads of my system resources and was slow as hell.

After a long time of Civ3 being relegated to the bottom of a drawer I found it again and was thinking about it.
Idealy I would want to go back to Civ2, but my Game of the year edition of civ2 vanished a long time ago...
So im left with Civ3...

Now I know theres a lot of patches, and I have a very slow 56k connection.
I want to know what changes these patches have made, I want to know if these patches are worth the download, more importantly, can I make proper scenarios like with Civ2?
Thanks

Kurek
Old June 13, 2003, 16:20   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The patches are worth it, even with a slow download time. A lot of bugs were fixed, though obviously not all. As to the editor it's fair in vanilla Civ3, and a little better with PTW expansion. There are many things you cannot change because they are hardcoded in, but you should be able to make a fair scenario with it. Read the Forum-Creation threads for more info on this. Good luck.
Old June 13, 2003, 16:24   #3
kurek
Settler

Then I'll give it another chance, I'll post back here after I tested the patches out.
PTW? Play the World? I dont have a clue what this expansion pack is about, can you give me some details please?
Thanks.
Old June 13, 2003, 16:29   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
The Play The World expansion added more features, more civilizations (Mongols, etc.), more editor options, and the ability to play other people in multiplayer or email games (haven't tried that part of it yet so I have no recommendations on it). I'm sure it's available in Great Britain (assuming that's where you live from your flag).
Old June 13, 2003, 17:04   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:38
Last I knew you could still buy the gold edition of CivII, I see it all the time and I think they offer it here.
If not Test Of Time has teh whole thing, plus all the addons and some new stuff. You can play it in the classic style or the newer graphics.
PTW has the patches for CivIII to 1.29F.
Old December 2, 2003, 21:06   #6
kurek
Settler

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I remembered posting this a long while ago and though I'd share my views now.
Well I did download the patch... but then never got around to installing it, until a few weeks ago that is when I found my poor old CivIII CD in a pile of other neglected CD's

Well I decided to take it for a spin,patched it up and started the game up, played as the English on a huge random map, it was a crap game... I wasnt enjoying it, BAH! I thought, but I didnt give up, well I did give up and started a new game, this time as the Romans on a medium size world... and after several days of near non stop play I now give this game my thumbs up!

Now I am thinking about buying one of the add-ons or something, well need the cash first.

Once again sorry for digging up a old post but as I did promise several months ago I would come back and report how I got on...

Cheers
~Kurek
Old December 2, 2003, 21:43   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
We are almost there... C3C is a dramatic improvement, albeit with a couple of bugs waiting to be patched. From what I can tell, the ability to make great scenarios (with great AI play) is just waiting on the faithful.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.