Old April 10, 2001, 13:45   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Recommend me some good scenarios please
yes I know there are rankings here at apolyton and I use them. but often I end up downloading crappy ones. To narrow it down I like historical (no fantasy for me) war scenarios. but I like some explorations scenarios- but most aren't done that well. And I have played red front, but the # of units is a turn off for me.

------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell; and spirituality is for people like me who have been there.

You're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinately.

"These are the cries of the carrots!" You see, Reverend Dissident, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."
"Let the rabbits wear glasses!"
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........
This is necessary.
Old April 10, 2001, 15:01   #2
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
Alright, you want age of exploration? You got it:
  • Alba De America By Jesus Balsinde You can play as Spain, Portugal, or the natives of the new world, such as the Inca or Aztecs. Availible from the Spanish Civilization site.
  • The Spanish Odessey by Jesus Munoz Similar to Alba, but slighty different map and events and units. Available from the Spanish Civilization site.
  • Colonies III By John Ellis You can play as Britain, France, Spain, and the New world civs, including the the Indians of North America. Available from the SCS also.
All of these scenarios start with limited cities and units at start, and you must try to build the great empires of the age. All three have new units, terrain, and wonders that are different from standard Civ-2. In fact, the Two Jesus are among the best at making their own units.
Edit: What war are you interested in? Anciet Rome? Crusades? American Civil War? Narrow it down a bit. Edit#2: Changed availablity of Colonies III. I didn't get it from ther, Jay Bee. I think I first got it from his homepage.
------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.

[This message has been edited by cpoulos (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old April 10, 2001, 16:06   #3
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 04-10-2001 03:01 PM
Colonies III By John Ellis You can play as Britain, France, Spain, and the New world civs, including the the Indians of North America. I'm not sure where I downloaded this one from

From the Spanish Civ Site too!!! (Link at the bottom of this page)
Old April 10, 2001, 16:43   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'll have to check that site out, I never knew there were links at the bottom of the page

as for what I'm interested in. I'm interested in everything (except maybe stone age war - warriors and horseman suck ass). Long as it is historical not fantasy.
[This message has been edited by Dissident (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old April 10, 2001, 20:07   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Red front was huge ! you spend the first five mins watching the germans pummell your pathetic russian troops..... if you play the germans its way too easy.....\

shoot sorry i missed the part where you played red front...... i think there is a sequel
[This message has been edited by War4ever (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old April 10, 2001, 21:56   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:57
Just about ANYTHING from the Spanish Civ II site is worth your while. El Dorado is very different from a regular game, and very cool to boot. They also have modern scenarios.

Colonies III by J.Ellis is excellent. His Hellas scenario is also very good, and tough to win.

Rome280bc from the Apolyton Scenario League (by Rick Westera) is a huge improvement over the game's original Rome scenario.

Spartacus, by Alex the Magnificent and Captain Nemo, is very creative (also on Scenario League site).

Artaxerxes (Stefan Härtel, also on Scenario League site) is fantastic.

Hanti's 4 Seas Gold is pretty cool - about the rise of Venice.

But before you do anything else, play AGE OF PIRACY by Shay Yates Roberts. This was Civ innovation before anybody even thought about innovating, and still ranks at the top for good playability. His Sacrificial Blood pack is out, but I've only gotten thru the first level. As one can expect from SYR, it is very innovative and fun to play.

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
[This message has been edited by Marquis de Sodaq (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old April 11, 2001, 13:42   #7
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 23:57
the alexander the great scenario that comes with Fantastic Worlds pack is a good one with limited starting units, but i'm not sure if it is avaliable as a download
Old April 11, 2001, 14:14   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I just downloaded the colonys3 scenario. It looks very good- I just started, but I ended up playing diablo2 with my brother even though I said I would never play that game again. Well I will only play with people I know.

I tried piracy but didn't like it much. colony3 looks great. This is the kind of scenario where I want to play as several diffent civs including the indians. most scenarios I usually only want to play 1 or 2 civs (or they design them that way)

and in all my scenarios I never thought of maiking ocean squares def 150%. this should work good. both civ2 and smac suffer the same problem where the attacker usually wins on sea battles.
[This message has been edited by Dissident (edited April 11, 2001).]
Old April 11, 2001, 15:37   #9
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
I'm glad you like it. I understand why you were put off as far as scenarios go, not having seen how far they have come since the early days. Here is a list of some of my all time favorites:[list=1][*]Anciet Empires, the Early Empires by Kull[*]Of Celts and Iberians by Jesus Balsinde[*]imperium Romanium by Bebro[*]Justian By Carl Fritz[*]Cross and Cresent by Bebro This is not the scenario with the CD[*]Bonaparte by John Ellis[*]Brown man's burden by Carl Fritz[*]The Cuba War by Jesus Balsinde and Jesus Munoz[*]Second Reich by Mike Jezenka[*]2194 Days of war by Captain Nemo and Alex Mor[*]Red Front by Captain Nemo and Alex Mor[*]Dawn of the Dead by Blackcove[*]Star Trek, Battle of the Alpha Quadrant by Kobayshi[*]Star Trek, Dominion War by Kobayshi[/list=a]Anciet empires is my all time favorite, and I strongly suggest you try it soon. You will never regret it. All of these are fine scenarios, with new units and terrain, and are quite excellent. There are many more fine scenarios besides these out there.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old April 11, 2001, 18:37   #10
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I kinda like the good old fashioned scenarios which don't come with new spanky units, govts, graphics etc.

I don't remember the names but the ones I played in no specific order:
[*]20th Century - the world as it looked just after WWI in 1918. Very nice though apparently many civs have TWO capitals. Victor and vanquished alike left Versailles bankrupt and impoverished. A vengeful Germany and her
neighbors create a new "Axis" alliance. Russia is consumed in a revolution that threatens to spread around the world. Britain struggles to maintain the Empire, while Japan seeks to forge a new one. The effectiveness of the newly created League of Nations is threatened when the United States seeks to return to isolationism.
[*]Holy land - same as new game, only middle east map and middle east civs. 7 tribes: Hittites, Assyrians, Jews, Medians, Babylonians, Persians and Egyptians, seek to build man's first organized civilization. Beginning in the 28th c. B.C., you have until 330 B.C., when the game ends due to Alexander the Great's massive army suddenly landing in Anatolia and wiping out everything you and your competitors have built. No new units, fairly nice to try and rebuild the ancient middle east into something it once was.

[*]The microprose WWII scenario !!!
[*]NW-Europe :
Jan 2025, economy collapsed, England, France, Italy, and several other nations joined named United Europe. Bosnia annexed into the nation in 2027. A commonwealth nation - the Balkan States: Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Albania and Yugoslavia. Germany in alliance with Poland and Austria. The seperated Russian provinces joined together under the leadership of the Ukraine. Europe is at war once again.

Has some new units but is quite well built and quite cool...
Old April 11, 2001, 20:56   #11
Cavalcadeus
Warlord

Local Time: 17:57
Sirotnikov, do you have the zip files for 20th Century and
NW-Europe? I also like the good old fashioned scenarios which don't come with new units, govts, graphics etc.
Old April 13, 2001, 19:21   #12
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:57
You want good scenarios? War scenarios? Here are my picks...

"1941dec" (SECOND WORLD WAR V1.0) .... B. Stein
This scenario is the best global World War II scenario I've ever played. The American and the British are one civ (which makes sense) and the sceanrio allows for getting unit upgrades at scripted times (true to actual history)...pick this puppy up.

"alt_WW79"...David Ledgard
This is a more "accurate" representation of the world of 1979. It is based on the original Microprose "WW79" scenario, but is more in tune with the political forces of 1979. Europe and Americans are one (as NATO), the Middle East is fundamentalist, there are Pro-Soviet and Pro-Western civs...great stuff.

"THE FIRST WORLD WAR vsn. 2.0."...Jesús Muñoz Fernández
Very intricate and detailed WWI scenario focusing on Europe. Large map. The scenario begins with the Germans fortified on a long front outside PAris. The French are opposite the Germans. There are only a handful of British units on the continent...very involving scenario which recreated the horrible slaughter of WWI when you see the massive amounts of units you'll have to sacrifice to break through enemy lines!

Those are my picks. If you want more, just ask! I found all these scenarios on the sites that are already linked to Apolyton, so you'll have no problems getting them!

Vitmore

------------------
"We should not go out and conquer the people, but give them no other choice in their minds but to be conquered." - Me