Old June 15, 2003, 06:43   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 03:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?
Not necessarily flawed to the point of it being irrelevant and inferior to verbal legend... but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice? How did the idea come about, for instance - that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc. were credible in perfection of description of the events?

I always hear that the bible is "God's word" - but as it was described and physically created through human medium, can imperfections not be expected?
Old June 15, 2003, 06:49   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?
Old June 15, 2003, 06:55   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:45
Re: Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?
Old June 15, 2003, 06:57   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:45
I would probably imagine that this is how some Christians would account for the contradictions in the Bible.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old June 15, 2003, 07:03   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice?
Good question. Too tired to answer properly tonight, and I have an early morning tomorrow.

G'night all.
Old June 15, 2003, 07:55   #6
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
The band Coil use a recording technique called "Worship the glitch". In other words, if the sound is affected by some equipment behave strangely, the workings of chance should be respected and the machinery should be considered as making a valid artistic contribution in it's own right.

Somehow that concept seems to fit here, but it might only make sense to me.
Old June 15, 2003, 09:41   #7
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 23:45
I consider it as such.
Old June 15, 2003, 10:05   #8
Q Classic
Emperor

as far as i understand it, we catholics are supposed to take it figuratively and not literally; this, i assume, takes care of the contradictions?

i'm kinda fuzzy on that bit.
Old June 15, 2003, 11:05   #9
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Yes, humans are flawed. The meaning is divine though since it was inspired by the Holy Spirit. That's an idea anyway.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 15, 2003, 11:09   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Good post Zylka
Old June 15, 2003, 11:14   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

Unfortunately, they usually can't
Old June 15, 2003, 11:44   #12
JCG
Prince

Depends on the specific kind of Christian...But in general, the more they admit it, the more likely it is that they're somewhat close to abandoning their faith.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:04   #13
MrFun
Emperor

The Bible was written by people who recorded what they believed would be God's demands and expectations.

Not to mention that it becomes even more complicated due to the fact that it took hundreds of years of years for the Bible to be completed, by numerous people living in different, distant regions in different time periods.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:45   #14
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
Not necessarily flawed to the point of it being irrelevant and inferior to verbal legend... but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice? How did the idea come about, for instance - that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc. were credible in perfection of description of the events?

I always hear that the bible is "God's word" - but as it was described and physically created through human medium, can imperfections not be expected?
Yes, of course. The writers of the bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write it down, but that doesn't mean they got it perfectly. Of course- the 4 you mentioned: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John I think we should give a little more importance too and credibility too since they try to give a more historical outlook on Jesus's life, relating to us what Jesus said- as say opposed to the parts of the New Testament about the works of the apostles and their preachings.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old June 15, 2003, 13:51   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
of course, I've always known that the bible was written by man- even if it was supposedly dictated to by god. Inconsistencies are inevitable.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:53   #16
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

It should be noted that those who see the bible as the literal word of God(Fundamentalists) are a minority among Christians, most mainline churches reject the fundamentalist view.

Old June 15, 2003, 14:07   #17
Victor Galis
Emperor

Even if it were perfectly transcribed, it wasn't dictated by God in English, so the Bible as most American fundies read it is just a translation (add another layer of misinterpretation).
Old June 15, 2003, 15:53   #18
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Yes, of course. The writers of the bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write it down, but that doesn't mean they got it perfectly. Of course- the 4 you mentioned: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John I think we should give a little more importance too and credibility too since they try to give a more historical outlook on Jesus's life, relating to us what Jesus said- as say opposed to the parts of the New Testament about the works of the apostles and their preachings.
Indeed, yet I find it strange that the texts themselves are naturally clear in direction upon human interpretation, less so on divine inspiration. For example:

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seems good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilu, so that you may know the certainty of things you have been taught.

- Luke chapter 1, V. 1-4

So, that essentially says nothing along the lines of "I know this to be true, because God has been speaking to me in dreams", etc. Divine inspiration in creation of the texts is to a degree accepted by almost any Christian, I imagine - but this among others screams that the recording was a rather objective, human investigation (to me)

On the other hand, take a text like Pizan's The Book of the City of Ladies, which is concretely claimed by the author to have the direct voice of God answering many of her questions. Now if a Christian were to believe this, should not this text (or parts of it) be a new addition to the bible? Sure it often deals with previously unaddressed feminist issues - but that is exactly why it could land a purpose!
Old June 15, 2003, 16:01   #19
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
Even if it were perfectly transcribed, it wasn't dictated by God in English, so the Bible as most American fundies read it is just a translation (add another layer of misinterpretation).
...and what imperfections in translation do you think of? The only I've been presented was the rather face value mistaking of "Reid Sea" for "Red Sea" (which still doesn't make sense to me according to possible Greek language versions of the pretext)

In short, it was argued that due to this mistake - the Red Sea was not location of the parting, rather one of many smaller reid Seas
Old June 15, 2003, 17:25   #20
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 21:45
Obviously, the Bible was written by men, but it was inspired by God. So, that way it is still God's Word.

There can be small errors due to mistranslations. But if you study the Bible carefully, you will find that there are no serious contradictions.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old June 15, 2003, 17:28   #21
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"
So, that essentially says nothing along the lines of "I know this to be true, because God has been speaking to me in dreams", etc. Divine inspiration in creation of the texts is to a degree accepted by almost any Christian, I imagine - but this among others screams that the recording was a rather objective, human investigation "

I didn't mean that God was speaking to him or dictating the words, rather inspiration would mean that with the encouragement of the Holy Spirit they wrote the books. Christian tradition holds up the Evangelists'(Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) to be our best accounts of the life and works of Jesus, but that does not mean they are inerrant, this was first clearly shown in the works of Peter Abelard.

"Now if a Christian were to believe this, should not this text (or parts of it) be a new addition to the bible?"

I suppose if we believed that. We tend to be sceptical however of people claiming to be given the direct word of God personally nowadays.

But overall Zylka you are correct in pointing out the Bible is no the literal word of God.

Old June 15, 2003, 18:10   #22
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by JCG
Depends on the specific kind of Christian...But in general, the more they admit it, the more likely it is that they're somewhat close to abandoning their faith.
Actually, your a Christian if you profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your Life, that he died for your sins and 3 days later was ressurected, thus overcoming bindings of death.

John 3:16 states :For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whomsover believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That being said, a person could profess but not actually have a conversion. Matthew 7:21 states : Not everyone that that saith unto me Lord,Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Also a point to remember is backsliding. A person could be a Christian, but have backslidden, falling prey to Sins which are unconfessed or even Sins that are deemed acceptable in the human sense, but definetly not in Gods eyes. But, look at :

LUKE 15:7: I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

I share these out of Love, not for arguement. Please take them as such.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old June 15, 2003, 18:16   #23
Firelad
Settler

About translations: You have NO idea how different the translations are. The OT at least. We study the OT quite seriously at school... I just had a matriculation exam on it last wednsday. The intricacies of the text, wordplay, double and triple meanings etc. are unbelievable... If anything might convince me that there is some divine inspiration in the Bible (I'm sort of a mix between secular agnostic and pagan...) is the quality and complexity of the text. They've been working at interpreting it for a few millennia and there's still plenty of stuff to innovate. The bible really is an incredible text, and to me, as someone familiar with the original, the translations and the very idea thereof seems laughable.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:29   #24
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Firelad
About translations: You have NO idea how different the translations are. The OT at least. We study the OT quite seriously at school... I just had a matriculation exam on it last wednsday. The intricacies of the text, wordplay, double and triple meanings etc. are unbelievable... If anything might convince me that there is some divine inspiration in the Bible (I'm sort of a mix between secular agnostic and pagan...) is the quality and complexity of the text. They've been working at interpreting it for a few millennia and there's still plenty of stuff to innovate. The bible really is an incredible text, and to me, as someone familiar with the original, the translations and the very idea thereof seems laughable.
Translations are of course somewhat similiar and yet somewhat different.

As for the Bible being laughable, if I correctly interpretted your staement, is dangerous in context delivered.

If your stating that your schooled or being schooled as a Theologian or Scholar, head knowledge is one thing but heart knowledge is yet quite another.

I ask to better undertand your comment. I am not a schooled man, I have been a Christian for 12 years now, I have and do lead Bible studies. I am not a Theologian. I am merely a Christian with a heart for the Lord and if I may assist will provide direction for any, as to the autenticity of the Infallibel, Inspired written word of God.

Translations? Yes, the original Greek and Hebrew Text have been translated. Preferences?
I enjoy both the NIV as well as KJV, some others. Yes, some translations are indeed somewhat removed.

I pray your studies find you edifying our Creator, our Father and Eternal Destiny Holder!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old June 15, 2003, 18:36   #25
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 20:45
History is written by the victors. There were eighty-something gospels written, and only four made it in; that is those that made Jesus seem most divine and least like a person.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:37   #26
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Obviously, the Bible was written by men, but it was inspired by God. So, that way it is still God's Word.

There can be small errors due to mistranslations. But if you study the Bible carefully, you will find that there are no serious contradictions.
Uh, how about the two strikingly different stories about the creation of people in Genesis. The original creation and the Adam and Eve story do not fit together.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:45   #27
Firelad
Settler

Troll: I mean that the idea of translating the text I am familiar with is laughable. If any text ever was impossible to translate without losing its meaning almost entirely, it's the Old Testament (I am not familiar with the New Testament). We study in that we read the text and attempt to understand what it says. Key word here is trying. The Bible is an immensly complex text, with layers upon layers upon layers of meaning, often the meaning of whole chapters lie hinged upon one word - or one of the some two dozen punctuation marks that appear in the Bible. I have sometimes compared (not very often or very many though) pieces of original and translation and, well, I say that if you want to read the OT then go study biblical Hebrew. It's a very interesting language too, much deeper and more complex than modern Hebrew.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:48   #28
Firelad
Settler

Templar: I could get into the two creation stories - it's a very complicated deal, and there are a few conflicting opinions (notably secular scholars and religious scholars)... But frankly I've forgotten most of it
I can read up on it again in my notebook or somethin' and start talkin' though
Old June 15, 2003, 18:49   #29
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Uh, how about the two strikingly different stories about the creation of people in Genesis. The original creation and the Adam and Eve story do not fit together.
Question?

What makes you think they do not fit together?

God first spoke Creation into being. He created Eve from Adams Rib. He "created" both Adam and Eve. He created all other things, including all that live in this day and time, you,me,Ming and Solver. Even those that do not accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, because he gives all an option, to be quite literal.."Smoking"..Hell..or "Non-smoking" Heaven.

You see, you have to "confess with your mouth and believe in your heart" about whom Jesus Christ is.

I pray you know him as personal Lord and Savior!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old June 15, 2003, 18:50   #30
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 21:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Firelad
I wish I could read the OT in the original, so that I could fully apreciate all the intricacies.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"