Old June 15, 2003, 12:37   #1
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I wonder ...
what sort of FUTURE config will one need to run civ3 smothly.Since i'm of the very inpatient type i can't finish most of the games cause those 5min turns are killing me!!! like if you make the calculation you can make only 12 turns an hour and this only if your turn last milliseconds so let's say 10turns an hour. Frustrasting isnt it?

So how much future ram and futur CPU speed will we need? like my 900Mhz and 256 MB ram apears to be very not enough!!!! Can someone explain also why when the AI's turn is over and my pop ups appear i have to wait 2 min before i take control of my civ?
Old June 15, 2003, 12:51   #2
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
when i got a new computer, i specifically got 512 of RAM for this game, instead of a 100 GB larger harddrive. now i only have about 2-3 minute waits :|

when i had 92 MB, it was getting to be 15 min...

i feel for you and would also like an answer
Old June 15, 2003, 13:37   #3
BulMaster
Warlord

So will someone be kind enought to enlighten us on the matter
Old June 15, 2003, 14:42   #4
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 04:46
Quote:
Can someone explain also why when the AI's turn is over and my pop ups appear i have to wait 2 min before i take control of my civ?
Yeah...why is the longest waiting time after the AI's turn?? anyone know??
Old June 15, 2003, 15:01   #5
Patroklos
Emperor

I just bought a new comp (Dell has some great deals, btw), and one of my main buying considerations were those 10min turns I was getting during civ. So, I cut the bull and got 1GB of ram with my 2.6GHz system. gives instant turns for early games, but I had to head off to OCS before I got far into a game (feel lucky I spent some valuable weekend time on your question ).

I think the longest wait is the pop up because it is resetting everyting for the human player
Old June 15, 2003, 15:05   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
hi ,

get more ram , shut down all the programs you dont need , clean out your harddrive , the bigger c or d , the faster the comp , defrag , etc , .....

most firewall and security software causes a slowdown , close your internet connection , you dont need it when playing in SP , .....

have a nice day

edit ; typo

Last edited by Panag; June 15, 2003 at 15:21.
Old June 15, 2003, 15:18   #7
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 04:46
panag...how many times have you posted that very post?? must be like ten by now

Quote:
close your internet connection , you need it when playing
why should I close it if I need it when playing??
Old June 15, 2003, 15:25   #8
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thirgaral
panag...how many times have you posted that very post?? must be like ten by now

why should I close it if I need it when playing??
hi ,

how many posts by people who slow the comp down by themselfs yet complain about it , ......

how many posts of people asking what they can do in order to have a faster play , .....

how many people complaining about that the game does not work when they dont have a comp that meets the minimum requirements that are writen on the back of the game box , .....

btw , apolytons FAQ is also intresting to read

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2003, 16:37   #9
BulMaster
Warlord

hehe panag like why don't they make Civ run i dos this way i will shut down windows besides the crapy stuff about closing the programs i suggest don't botter except for some ofcourse.
Old June 15, 2003, 16:42   #10
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
hey I got a AMD 1.1ghz, 512 ram! Just turn off Friendly/Enemy Animation and it only take 30 sec ton complete the turn.

On my computer, 30sec to 1 min by turn maximum in the modern era.

See ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old June 15, 2003, 17:24   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Yeah...why is the longest waiting time after the AI's turn?? anyone know??
Improvements are build and thus the (possible) change in trade routes has to calculated (think: settling a city), things such as harbors can change a lot.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:42   #12
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Huge map, continents, 60 or 70% water, my wait was 2 to 3 minutes. I hit the higher scale when there is a war. 2 minutes is its quiet.

And believe it or not, my system is P III 450 MHZ, 512 RAM.

It's an old system though and the HARDDRIVE is slowing down.
Old June 15, 2003, 19:29   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

How many civs? Which is the deciding factor btw.
Old June 15, 2003, 19:58   #14
dexters
King

I play 16 civs.

Interestingly enough, my current game, also huge map with 16 civs, but on PANGEA loads much faster (from saves) and is faster between turns (1 to 2 minutes max, usually much less). I MAY have set the landmass smaller with more water. I can't be sure.

But I'm still trying to figure out what made the difference between my continents games and my current pangea game
Old June 15, 2003, 20:05   #15
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 22:46
Hi!

I've found that difficulty level also determines the IBT length. The higher you are, the more the AI seems to be "thinking", or "calculating." I recently went to cheiftain for a "relaxed game" and found the wait, very minimal compared to Monarchy/ Emperor.
Old June 15, 2003, 20:34   #16
alva
Deity

Dificulty has nothing to do with it, The AI is the same on chieftain as it is on deity.
-
Quote:
But I'm still trying to figure out what made the difference between my continents games and my current pangea game
Best guess and probably right - pathfinding -
Old June 15, 2003, 20:56   #17
dexters
King

You're saying 16 civs sharing on landmass offer less pathfinding load than sharing 2 continents?

With so many Civs crammed into one continent and the AI's habit of sometimes parking units right in the middle of their roads, my recent pangea game actually revealed for the first time that the autopathfinding abiliy of the game is not perfect, which I always assumed it was.

I'd try to move a unit from point A to point B, with a lot of the way through enemy territory, and the unit would maybe move halfway and simply refuse to move further. I'd move him manually and find that while the pathfinding system wants to go in X direction, there is some stupid ass unit in the way and the pathfinding system just doesn't know how to deal with it.

On the same token, the system would tell me that it would take say 2 turns to move my cavalry from my fully RRed empire to the war front, again, going through significant foreign territory. But surprise surprise, If I move my units in two parts, taking an alternate route based on what I think is best I can get to the same location in 1 turn. It's very strange.

Anyways, I kinda got of topic. Let me know how pathfinding is different if I'm on continents vs. pangea. From my experience, the latter seems more complicated whereas on Continents you usually have 8 civs on each landmass and its usually a simple north-south / east-west spread of Civs and there's not a lot of clutter in betten.

Quote:
Dificulty has nothing to do with it, The AI is the same on chieftain as it is on deity.
Actually it may have something to do with it. In Chieftain there are fewer units for AI to deal with. Actually, thinking about it, this may by why my pangea game is quicker. Smaller total landmass (at least it feels that way for me) means that the AI has a smaller empire and therefore fewer units. The Game's #2, Japan, has about 88 infantry and 34 cavalry. Whereas my last continents game, 88 infantry and 34 cavs would mean the #5 spot and the higher tier civs could easily have 120+ infantry plus offensive units.

Last edited by dexters; June 15, 2003 at 21:01.
Old June 16, 2003, 05:58   #18
BulMaster
Warlord

the ottomans i my game have 255 infantries now this was the number i could remember not to mention all the rest. Thing that bother's me is that the AI wake all it's units pay attention to a city at each turn you will see the unites awakes and fortifies again, that's stupid i will try to turn the animation off don't tell me they still run even when there is a fog of war?
Old June 16, 2003, 06:00   #19
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:46
Wait until you try to move a unit through another civs territory, with whom you have ROP and who has his empire partially railroaded. I did this once, using go-to, and found the only two zero movement paths were blocked. Now, does the pathfinder recognize this and give up two thrids of a movement point to take the road around one of the blocks? Nope, it simply bounces my unit back and forth between the two blocking units ad infinitum. Being that it's railroaded, said unit loses no movement points, ever, and would still be bouncing back and forth if not for Ctrl-Alt-Del. It may not be a crash, but it's just as good as one.
Old June 16, 2003, 11:31   #20
BulMaster
Warlord

we can only hope they will take the performance issue in consideration for the next exp otherwise we have to buy allien ware computer
Old June 16, 2003, 12:54   #21
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
it simply bounces my unit back and forth between the two blocking units ad infinitum. Being that it's railroaded, said unit loses no movement points, ever, and would still be bouncing back and forth if not for Ctrl-Alt-Del. It may not be a crash, but it's just as good as one.
Now that's crazy.

Also, the pathfinder will not avoid enemy units taking ZOC pot shots at you when doing so would cause no loss in movement points.
Old June 16, 2003, 16:24   #22
alva
Deity

Quote:
Also, the pathfinder will not avoid enemy units taking ZOC pot shots at you when doing so would cause no loss in movement points.
That IS annoying.

There is a small error too when leaving and returning to RR too, the cursor will indicate you can reach a cretain tile while in fact you can't.

Pathfinding has a couple of minor errors, but all in all it is pretty good.
Old June 16, 2003, 19:49   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
That IS annoying.

There is a small error too when leaving and returning to RR too, the cursor will indicate you can reach a cretain tile while in fact you can't.

Pathfinding has a couple of minor errors, but all in all it is pretty good.
hi ,

has this been reported allready to Firaxis , ....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 10:57   #24
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
yeah, the pathfinding can be a pain in the arse sometimes. I especially hate when I send a unit to a nearby city connected by road and it tries to send the unit over an un-roaded tile.
Old June 17, 2003, 11:07   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
yeah, the pathfinding can be a pain in the arse sometimes. I especially hate when I send a unit to a nearby city connected by road and it tries to send the unit over an un-roaded tile.
hi ,

it tends to do that if there is no difference in number of moves , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 12:28   #26
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
it tends to do that if there is no difference in number of moves , .....
It does indeed do that. It has to do with pathing toward what the AI perceives as the shortest distance between two points. If you're on a road with 2/3 of your movement points used up and need to get to "Point A" which is two road tiles away, the AI will occasionally recommend using that last 1/3 movement to travel onto a mountain next to the tile you want to get to, rather than going to the road tile that is also next to the tile you want to get to. I want maximum flexibility out of my movement points so I always try to make sure that a path doesn't cross an unroaded tile. If it does then I will manually run the unit along the path I want it to go.
Old June 18, 2003, 00:26   #27
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:46
Play on smaller maps...
Old June 18, 2003, 00:29   #28
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46

That would work. I just have this insane masochism to play large and huge maps. I'm learning though.
Old June 18, 2003, 02:36   #29
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 06:46
Re: waiting time between AI turn and human player

This may be caused by a slow hard disk, when auto-saving the game. My system has a 900 Mhz processor and 256 MB memory, but a veeeeeeerrryy slow hard disk. If you experience long delays when saving the game manually (especially true on huge maps in the late game, in my experience), then there lies your problem.

Re: infinite movement

I haven't seen this in Civ3. I thought this was fixed since Civ2. At least in my copy of Civ2 ToT is.
Old June 18, 2003, 05:58   #30
BulMaster
Warlord

I lova panag msgs always hi .... have a nice day I used to s
ay regards at the end but lost thebait maybe i should restart! Yeah i have that bad habit of playing huge maps also. somehow the standart is to small for me . somehow i was hoping that rr shal no longer be a way to cross the map it's insane to me but off topic here. Since i had not nerves to wait for my turn i started a new game This time huge map, 8 civ and no animations everything turned off and i'm in the medieval now and it runs well for now that is