Old June 15, 2003, 21:37   #1
natsoc
Settler

Local Time: 03:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pollution Problem
Hi all

Someone please help me.

I am playing Civ III with the 1.29f patch.

When I start getting polluted squares, the sun emblem appears on the box in the bottom right.

This emblem does not change to a darker colour as the pollution worsens or lighten as the pollution gets cleaned up.

Any ideas why.

Thanks
Old June 16, 2003, 01:59   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just because you are cleaning up your own pollution doesn't mean the AI civs are as well. They will often let pollution stick around on tiles they don't value. The more pollution that stays around any length of time the darker the sun gets as it heads toward global warming
Old June 16, 2003, 20:21   #3
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
hi ,

if you dont want the tiles to change , grassland to plains and so , then change the basic terrain setting to the terrain it is , this way you shall still have pollution but the terrain shall not change , ....

you can also change in the editor the pollution a building gives , ....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 04:47   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:47
As a test, save your game and then try to produce as much pollution as possible, while not cleaning any up. If the sun does not get darker, then it is a bug. Otherwise, it is just because of other civilizations.
Old June 17, 2003, 06:22   #5
natsoc
Settler

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I will try all the ideas posted, and I will let you all know what I find out.

Thanks
Old June 17, 2003, 16:25   #6
natsoc
Settler

I disbanded all my workers and let pollution run rife.

Only when most of my squares were polluted, did the sun emblem become darker. By then most of my squares had turned to desert.

Guess I will use the basic terrain setting next time.

Thanks.
Old June 18, 2003, 07:32   #7
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:47
An alternative approach I use a lot is to plant more forests before, during and after Industrialisation.

A forested square will revert back to it's original state - no real harm done. Having a plains city go down to a desert city is a real drag.

It's not a perfect answer but it does slow down the damage done by global warming.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 18, 2003, 07:43   #8
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 04:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
An alternative approach I use a lot is to plant more forests before, during and after Industrialisation.

A forested square will revert back to it's original state - no real harm done. Having a plains city go down to a desert city is a real drag.

It's not a perfect answer but it does slow down the damage done by global warming.
Not a perfect answer but with lots of worker having nothing to do except to clean pollution it is not a big problem with automation.
What else, if you are lucky, toundra can sometime be changed to grassland due to global warming.
Old June 18, 2003, 08:11   #9
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
I usually have so many workers when pollution strikes that I put most of them on automation and they do the job quickly and without problems.

Of course, if you're cleaning your polluted tiles but the AI civs are not doing the same, then global warming will end up hitting you no matter what.