Old June 16, 2003, 07:36   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Taught them all a LESSON!
My commie game went quite well. Took me a long time to control my own 4 civ continent (had to wait for my riders to eliminate the mongols though a very early archer rush took out France).

The other continent had persia, carthage, india and aztecs (I got the luck of the draw not starting there!). They were all trekking along so I encouraged Carthage to join me in a war vs Persia. This caused India and Aztec to join Persia but that's ok 'cause I wasn't on that landmass!! Hahahha. I did eventually send a bunch of galleons with calvary over but they got picked off as they landed... so I got a rop with Carthage, sent a bunch more with infantry and dropped them all off on a hill at the same time (yeah, I guess I should have known the first time - combined arms, but I was so excited to get to crushing...) - still got lots picked down a few health, but...

Took a persian 12 city right next to the capital and was going to raze it 'cept it had Smiths! Not razing that so I moved about 40 units in and then proceeded to take out the capital to increase my chances of holding Smiths. I lost 11 calvary against a single infantry. Not kidding, no river, don't think it was on a hill - 11 calvary died vs 1 infantry (only about 3 retreated too)! Very annoying. But not as annoying as a later battle where I lost about 9 units on attack but didn't have enough to finish the city that turn so I planned to wait until my next turn to take it but Carthage popped on over and attacked with one calvary and took out the last unit and took the city! That's really cheesy!

Burnt the capital and Carthage actually fought (mostly in alliances they sit around for a few turns then negotiate peace) so I didn't have a swarm of Persians after me...

Played the whole game in despot until commie... researching things in about 14 turns so I turned my research off, collected the 700gpt and started stealing techs. Got 3 from Persia, no problem (most safe way only cost about 2200)! Cranked my research up loosing about 190 gpt and used my saved leader and got ToE. That put me in the tech lead, the long war put them all commie too so...

Two questions arose: if I have a rop can my troops heal in the allies land or do I still require the battlefield medicine? If someone I have a gpt agreement with is in my land and I demand they leave or declare war and they declare war, does this hurt my rep for gpt trades?

(Oh yeah, gotta admit I sometimes played fundamentalist in civ 2 - something to be said for not having to be nice in a game.)
Old June 16, 2003, 08:46   #2
Brundlefly
Prince

mimi, post a picture of yourself please
Old June 16, 2003, 09:06   #3
mimi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
mimi, post a picture of yourself please
Old June 16, 2003, 09:22   #4
mimi
Warlord

But now that I've gotten this war-game out of the way, I think I'll try it again but on a large island map. Should be interesting.

I think I'll try the new PTW civ that has a unit that can attack from a ship - can't remember which one it is at the moment.
Old June 16, 2003, 11:41   #5
burly
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Vikings/Scandinavia. Those Berserkers annoyed the piss out of me the first time I played PTW!
"These rocks, he thought, are here for me; waiting for the drill, the dynamite and my voice; waiting to be split, ripped, pounded, reborn; waiting for the shape my hands will give them". -Ayn Rand , The Fountainhead
Old June 16, 2003, 12:56   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Next time you assault a city like that and there is a chance that another civ could walk in, surround the city with units. They can not reach it without attacking you.
It also prevents them from sending more troops in, they have to fight outside.
Old June 16, 2003, 12:58   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:48
Re: Taught them all a LESSON!
Quote:
Originally posted by mimi
Two questions arose: if I have a rop can my troops heal in the allies land or do I still require the battlefield medicine? If someone I have a gpt agreement with is in my land and I demand they leave or declare war and they declare war, does this hurt my rep for gpt trades?
Two answers: (though I'm at work so don't quote me). 1) I believe it's only enemies land that you can't heal your units. Allied land should be fine. 2) If the AI declares war on you then they are the ones that break the trade, not you. It still won't hurt their rep much since the AI tends to trade with each other no matter the rep hits.

Interesting game by the way. I still have yet to play a Communist game, though I might try it as soon as I get to that point in AU208 (haven't decided yet).
Old June 16, 2003, 13:12   #8
mimi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Next time you assault a city like that and there is a chance that another civ could walk in, surround the city with units. They can not reach it without attacking you.
It also prevents them from sending more troops in, they have to fight outside.
I was kinda stuck - any forces that could get close enough to the city without leaving other cities undefended were all either dead or down to 1 or 2 health ('cause I kept pulling more units over to attack 'cause I figured it'd have to fall soon) so I had them all stacked with my 2 healthy infantry 'cause otherwise persia or india rushes over and picks them off easily and that really really irks me.

If any other troops were within reach I would've finished taking the city myself 'cause I figured there couldn't be any more than 1 or 2 defenders left. Figures Carth would manage to keep it too - I guess it was close enough to them that it didn't flip (or perhaps AI doesn't suffer flipping?)
Old June 18, 2003, 05:31   #9
Matthijs
Settler

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Great game , and very inspiring too. Hmm, might try such a game myself too Although not on monarch, but on regent

BTW do you have any screenshots?
Old June 18, 2003, 06:59   #10
mimi
Warlord

I did notice a lot of people have screen shots and I suppose I could figure out how to do that but... I think that would distract me from war and destruction!

Next time something exciting happens and I think of it...
Old June 18, 2003, 11:57   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:48
Quote:
Originally posted by mimi
I did notice a lot of people have screen shots and I suppose I could figure out how to do that but... I think that would distract me from war and destruction!
It's not difficult. Hit the print screen key, hit the windows key to exit to windows without quitting your game, and then paste it into a graphics program (Adobe, etc. though Paint works) and then save it as a 800x600 pixel .jpg file (.bmp's are too big).
Old June 18, 2003, 12:49   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Irfanview is a free tool that can capture screens and make them jpegs and resize them. Works great on CivIII.