View Poll Results: how should players be assigned to PBEM games?
First come first served 2 40.00%
Judgement of the CMN 0 0%
Seniority 1 20.00%
Point system based on games completed 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17, 2003, 11:33   #1
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Perennial PBEM Problem of Players Parting Precipitously & Persistent Procrastination
Any ideas on how to deal with this ongoing problem? part of it is newbies joining a bunch of games without realizing the slow pace of PBEM and then losing interest. But sometimes long-time players just disappear.

I wonder if the basic mechanism for assigning players to games should be reformed. It has always been first come first served. But maybe their needs to be some sort of seniority system or maybe a point system where points are assigned for completed PBEM games. Maybe there should be extra points for sticking with games you lose!

Any other ideas?
Old June 17, 2003, 13:53   #2
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Could lead to elitism and stop fresh new players. I do agree with the principal of it though as it does become frustrating, i dont mind when people post im going on hol for a week, sorry for inconvenience.
2 suggestions : An annonymous comments section in the players profile, comment -> mod -> attaches ?
A sticky at the top on guidelines for new players looking to start pbems would be good (beware they're long, dont get in too many, would you suit ip player better etc).

First come, first served - nice all invited welcoming game however it does have the most stalls and drop-outs.

Judgement of CMN - It's unlikely hes going to know many of the people so his only option is going to be length of time registered with poly really and its not that often its an experienced player setting up a pbem, most of the time it is noobs looking for their first MP experience.

Seniority - Well it would be nice to kick the arse of somebody ranked above me then again i can imagine the enthusiasm dropping out of a player when hes shoved aside for somebody else, i believe a courtesy among players would leave this as nothing more then the first come first served.

Points system - slow player, points lost. Drop out - big loss. Gains for completed and being quick and good sport. This seems a good idea.
Then again how many people can say they've completed more then half a dozen games so the points difference between the vast majority would not be much.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old June 18, 2003, 14:33   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Then again how many people can say they've completed more then half a dozen games

I've actually lost track but its somewhere around 20 games completed (with 3 or more players) and probably a dozen more duels. I really like multi-faction duels where each player controls 2 or even 3 factions. I've had a few games die, including every seven player game I was ever in (only two attempts ). I will likely never join any game with more than 4 players ever again ( Unless thay are all well known players to me.

On the poll, I did not vote . . .I don't see any point in formalizing things or setting up some strict regime. Players find the games they want. I have had good success inviting people to games and when I post that I am looking for a game, I seem to get a quick response from others that know I am a reliable player.

AS for

1. Parting Precipitously-- some of the most reliable people have just disappeared with no one knowing what happened. In those cases I just wait a while ( length varies on the perceived reliability of the missing player), then ask someone to step in as a replacement. Most experienced players have played out someone else's position ( even if it was awful) to allow some game to continue.

2. Persistent Procrastination

Well-- I have one game . . ."3players, 6 factions, one AI" That is ther slowest I have ever been in. I used to hound for the turn but neither of my opponents post in the turn tracking thread. It frustrated me for a while but now I just play the turn when it comes, whther the gap is days or weeks. The turn keeps coming slowly but surely . I am less avid than I was and have a lot more patience.

There is still a good PBEM community here and I find no problem getting good games with reliable players most of the time. erhaps I should do more to join in games with some new folks ( I have 5 games stalled while a player is in China)