Old June 18, 2003, 11:20   #1
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Some questions before I buy this game
I've played the trial version a bit and RoN seems like a good game, I have always liked the civ-like games and since I have played alot of Starcraft the rts-element does not bother me much. I don't really see how the game can be called a tbs though.

The game has not been out that long but how is the longevity and replayability? Is the multiplayer succesfully implemented? I have wasted money numerous times on full priced games that were left gathering dust on a shelf after a week so I hope never to do that again.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Footie Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 11:39   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There is a TBS conquer the world mode where you move armies around on a risk board and then enter into the rts for each 'battle'. This protion some like and some do not. I find it shallow compared to the Total War series myself.

IMO where this game shines is when you adjust the science to 'very expensive and slow' in a diplomacy quick battle on a big huge map. It does then feel somewhat like a real time civ game.

Multi player is multi player. Your experience will depend on those you battle and the relative abilities of each. I would not call MP far better or worse implimented than the majority of the games out there. I think it is the fact that the game itself is so balanced that it makes MP games more fun than I have had since the old days of Myth II multi player. ok, Im dating myself again...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 12:09   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
So how long does a multiplayer game take?
Are there any problems with lag?
Is the game run on a server or something like blizzards battlenet?
Is there a large multiplayer community?
Are there many bugs and how is the patching?

Thanks.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Footie Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 13:53   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:59
Buy the game Willie... coming from me, (considering I rarely buy games) that means a lot.

the RTS is fun... conquer the world is kind of dumb, you can only move one army per turn, but there are so many more possibilities for fun games. I'm not big on MP yet, I want to perfect my strategies before I start killing others.
Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 16:52   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
So how long does a multiplayer game take?
Are there any problems with lag?
Is the game run on a server or something like blizzards battlenet?
Is there a large multiplayer community?
Are there many bugs and how is the patching?

Thanks.
MP games depend on settings and skill of those involved. I've seen them from 10 mins to 2 hours.

Lag can be an issue for dial up folks. All in relative terms there, explained below.

The game is run through Gamespy matching service. This means you are basically just meeting in a chat room then setting up an IP game after finding the players in the chat room. This can be bad as it make lag widely varying especially for dial ups. All depends on the host and your IP connection to the host...

Define 'large'. I have yet to see the place without free games. Usually only 4-6 open, but I play EXTREMELY bizarre hours and not all that often...

Bugs now seem to mostly be with specific systems, and video glitches, not in the game so far that I've seen. The patches are handled automatically through the gamespy service (ala Battle.net) and also through stand-alone patches. Relatively painless. 2 patches already, 3rd on the way. Problems seem to be dealt with swiftly.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 04:53   #6
niDe
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:59
Most people here will tell you the game is great, and it is...so I suggest you buy it

Old June 19, 2003, 06:44   #7
Azrikam
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:59
I've had this game since release and I've barely scratched the surface yet. I'm a big fan of the CTW feature.

With multi-player and the large (yet well balanced) special abilities of all the civs, this game has a huge amount of replayability. I fully intend on beating CTW with all the civs when I get the time.

Probably the best single thing about this game is customization. You can easily setup and play a MP game from start to finish in an hour. Or, depending on the competition and the settings, the game might go on for 5 or 6 hours. (or more)

Somehow, BHG have managed to create an interface that gives you access to even the most micro-manage portions of the game, yet is intuitive and simple enough to allow quick actions in a hectic MP game. For the interface alone, this should get Strategy Game of the Year, IMO.
Azrikam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 11:31   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

If you loved nuking in Starcraft, you'll love nuking in this game! OMFG!
Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 15:08   #9
Bridger
Warlord

Multiplayer has had a few problems, but all have been resolved by the BHG guys, who post on these very forums, along with many others, to help people get past router difficulty.

At this point the only people who are having trouble are those who didn't setup their router correctly, or those who got a bad version of patch 2. If you are still having trouble it will be because your playing with such people.

As for me, i've played some 60 multiplayer games of RoN, and probably 45-50 of them have gone without a hitch, and at least half have been very thouroughly enjoyable (the others may not have had very balanced teams or some such thing).

As far as lag, this is one of the best netcodes i've ever seen. played a 4 player game with 56k host and NO LAG. There have been reports of 8 player 56k games with no lag. Any and all lag comes from bad 56k connections, or a host who doesn't have a good enough computer to host.