Old June 21, 2003, 21:01   #31
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
JW, who has read it already, can read him pages over the phone .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 21, 2003, 21:05   #32
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Hahaha... that'd be awesome!
Albert Speer
Old June 21, 2003, 21:31   #33
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Yes, he revealed himself as another who wants to make others miserable because he isn't "in" with the group.
If it had been anyone except Bodds, I would have said that's ridiculous, as anybody who feels excluded can just pick up the books and read them for himself.
Old June 21, 2003, 21:43   #34
Lonestar
inmate
King

Best quote so far is
Spoiler:
"Cho was Crying? You're that bad of a Kisser?"

Also, Ron ejaculated loudly on pg 242, about 3/4s of the way up.

Old June 21, 2003, 22:58   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
as anybody who feels excluded can just pick up the books and read them for himself
Oh yes... but those who have convinced themselves that they are 'children's books' won't do that, because that is not their place in society.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 21, 2003, 23:11   #36
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
My copy is 760-ish pages.
Yeah, the American version has bigger text apparently.

And JW, that list STILL had spoilers in them... you should label that better (even if the spoilers were a bit vague)... especially with Ginny and her b/f's .
I guess since I know who died, the fact that
Spoiler:
Dumbledore makes a midyear teaching appointment doesn't really count as a spoiler for me.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Last edited by Jaguar; June 21, 2003 at 23:28.
Old June 21, 2003, 23:18   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff

But it does for the REST of us!

And that statement included ANOTHER minor spoiler .
Old June 21, 2003, 23:21   #38
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Imran - I think the implication was that Bodds is illiterate.
Albert Speer
Old June 21, 2003, 23:22   #39
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Sorry JW, but that last hardly covered at all minor spoiler (which really pissed me off, btw!) puts you on my ignore list!
Old June 21, 2003, 23:22   #40
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
But it does for the REST of us!

And that statement included ANOTHER minor spoiler .
I already said that in the list. But if you really want I'll edit them all into the spoiler tag in case other posters are as silly as you.

Old June 21, 2003, 23:22   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff

mono, I know... but that isn't relevant.
Old June 21, 2003, 23:27   #42
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Well I've made it up to chapter 14... and looking forward to the rest! umbridge is a brilliant character, but I think Luna even moreso... I find her to be brilliantly hysterical.
Albert Speer
Old June 21, 2003, 23:29   #43
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Just finished it. Initial reaction - very good, but not as good as the fourth book. The whole angst thing was a bit overdone. Who died didn't surprise me, but the way it happened did. Favourite part - the departure of the twins.
Old June 21, 2003, 23:31   #44
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Sorry JW, but that last hardly covered at all minor spoiler (which really pissed me off, btw!) puts you on my ignore list!
Fine with me.

Old June 21, 2003, 23:32   #45
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
Just finished it. Initial reaction - very good, but not as good as the fourth book. The whole angst thing was a bit overdone. Who died didn't surprise me, but the way it happened did. Favourite part - the departure of the twins.
Yes, the departure of the twins ruled.

Old June 22, 2003, 01:17   #46
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

My initial reaction to the fourth book was that it wasn't as good as the third, so this time I'm going to be very suspicious of my initial reaction...
Albert Speer
Old June 22, 2003, 01:24   #47
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
My initial reaction to the fourth book was that it wasn't as good as the third, so this time I'm going to be very suspicious of my initial reaction...
IMO the 5th book is much much much better written than the previous ones, but its action isn't as interesting as the 4th book.

Old June 22, 2003, 01:26   #48
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

What is action? So far, action seems to have been traded for suspense. I don't mind.
Albert Speer
Old June 22, 2003, 01:54   #49
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
What is action? So far, action seems to have been traded for suspense. I don't mind.
I just mean that in IV you had the Yule Ball, the Triwizard, the Portkey, Cedric, and all sorts of good stuff.

The big events from V just aren't as awe-inspiring. (Not that it's boring or anything.)

Old June 22, 2003, 20:26   #50
Imran Siddiqui
staff

From the New York Times, a review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/21/books/21POTT.html

Quote:
Near the beginning of the fifth and latest installment of "Harry Potter," one of Harry's former teachers performs a "Disillusionment Charm" on him. It's a means of disguising his appearance and making him less visible to prying eyes, but it also serves as a metaphor for Harry's loss, in this volume, of his boyish illusions and for his teenage immersion into the ambiguities and perils of the grown-up world.

Already shorn of much of his innocence in his earlier battles with Lord Voldemort, this 15-year-old wizard is compelled, in "The Order of the Phoenix," to confront even more unsettling revelations about his relationship with that evil lord, as well as some uncomfortable truths about his own parents and the role that fate has chosen him to play.

This Harry Potter is less Prince Hal than a budding Henry V; less the callow boy in "The Sword in the Stone" and more of the young King Arthur.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Though Harry is still the brave, decent boy we've met in the earlier novels, he's a much angrier character in these pages, beset not only by the pressures of trying to save the world from Voldemort and his Death Eaters, but also by ordinary adolescent frustrations and the burden of fame that his exploits at Hogwarts have placed on his skinny shoulders — a burden not dissimilar, in some respects, to the fame that his creator, J. K. Rowling, has experienced herself with the extraordinary popularity of this series. Harry is trailed by reporters, gossiped about by schoolmates and constantly told that he is special.

Because Harry is often in an irritable mood and spends much of the opening chapters brooding about his problems, "The Order of the Phoenix" gets off to a somewhat ponderous start.

There is also less humor in these pages than in the earlier books, and fewer Quidditch games; magic has become less of an art and more of a means of war. The benevolent headmaster of Hogwarts, Dumbledore, is curiously absent — or distant — for large portions of the book, and so, for that matter, is Harry's Falstaffian friend, Hagrid, the school's gamekeeper. Instead, Harry and his pals, Ron and Hermione, must contend with the noxious omnipresence of Dolores Jane Umbridge, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and a government spy, who conceals beneath her fluffy pink cardigan the cold heart and bureaucratic soul of a Grand Inquisitor.

Harry finds himself subject to a series of alarming, Kafkaesque dreams — filled with long corridors and closed doors — while the grown-up members of the Order of the Phoenix, a secret society organized by Dumbledore to combat Lord Voldemort, find themselves battling incompetence, denial and cover-ups by the Ministry of Magic. Dread hovers over the novel, as everyone awaits the next move of He Who Must Not Be Named and ponders the loyalties of others, like Ron's brother Percy; Sirius's petulant house elf, Kreacher; and the perennially nasty Potions professor, Snape.

What Ms. Rowling is trying to do in the novel's first half is to delineate both the increasingly grim world in which her characters find themselves after the return of Lord Voldemort in the series' previous installment (Year 4: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire") and the awkward emotional changes her characters are going through as they grow up, something rarely addressed by this sort of children's story, which usually leaves its heroes frozen in a single snapshot in time. The themes of self-sacrifice and betrayal sounded in previous volumes are amplified here. New light is shed on Harry's relationship with his awful Muggle (i.e., nonmagical) relatives the Dursleys, and as Ms. Rowling has said in recent interviews, a character close to Harry dies.

Although it takes a while for the gears of this immensely long novel to mesh fully, the author's bravura storytelling skills and tirelessly inventive imagination soon take over, braiding together the mundane and the marvelous, the psychological and the allegorical with consummate authority and ease. Even as Harry discovers that his teachers and mentors are fallible, he must question how his own weaknesses — anger, pride and ambition — may be leading him into Voldemort's clutches. Even as he tries to comprehend the terrible fallout that Voldemort's return could have on the world, he must search the past for answers as to how to thwart him. And come to understand, as his beloved godfather, Sirius, tells him, that the world "isn't split into good people and Death Eaters," that there are more ambiguities to grown-up life than he imagined.

One of the things that has made the Potter books so appealing to children and many adults is Ms. Rowling's magpie ability to take archetypes and plot points from myriad sources — myths, fairy tales, children's classics and movies — and alchemize them into something new. The Potter novels are, at once, detective stories (with Harry and his friends playing the roles of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew all at the same time), moral fables, coming-of-age chronicles and action adventure epics. Harry has been written to embody a daunting gallery of associations (including Luke Skywalker, Telemachus and even Jesus), while Voldemort vibrates with the auras of Darth Vader, Hitler and Milton's Satan, among others.

Although Voldemort, who is trying to get his clammy hands on a powerful new weapon in this volume, can seem a bit cardboardy at times, like a silent-movie villain, Ms. Rowling has made Harry such a flesh-and-blood character that the reader has an instant sense of recognition. It's as if the boy next door had been miraculously transported from the Muggle world we all know to a magical realm where dementors and thestrals lurk, a world where people can pour their extra thoughts into a "Pensieve" or whisk themselves from one place to another with a Portkey.

As this volume, like its predecessors, attests, Ms. Rowling has imagined this universe in such minute and clever detail that we feel that we've been admitted to a looking-glass world as palpable as Tolkien's Middle Earth or L. Frank Baum's Oz. The wizards, witches and Muggles who live there share complicated, generations-old relationships with one another and inhabit a place with traditions, beliefs and a history all its own — a Grimm place where the fantastic and fabulous are routine, but also a place subject to all the limitations and losses of our own mortal world.
Old June 22, 2003, 20:47   #51
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"There is also less humor in these pages than in the earlier books"
I disagree with him here. I found lots to laugh about.

I'm halfway through now. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Albert Speer
Old June 22, 2003, 20:49   #52
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Wow... I probalby won;t actually read the book for many months. I am hardly willing to spend $30 on it. But thanks fr all the eads up (I really don;t crae about spoilers. Knwoing plot points is not the same as experiencing the actual product).
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 22, 2003, 21:00   #53
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I'm 3/4ths of the way through.... great stuff.

Quote:
"There is also less humor in these pages than in the earlier books"
I disagree with him here. I found lots to laugh about.
Yeah, but I also thought that the other books had more humor. Especially on a page per funny statement level. The darkness and psychological bits in this one don't really lend themselves to humor as do the lighter moments of class (& classmates) and Quiddich.
Old June 22, 2003, 22:02   #54
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
as anybody who feels excluded can just pick up the books and read them for himself
Oh yes... but those who have convinced themselves that they are 'children's books' won't do that, because that is not their place in society.
I haven't read one book yet, but not because I think it's merely a children's book (my friends have proven that theory wrong). If I do read it, I'll read them when all 7 come out, I can't stand waiting around 3 years if I read one for the next to come out...
Old June 23, 2003, 15:33   #55
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

imran - quality over quantity!!! Perhaps this book (I've finished it now) has less humour than the others, but when it DOES have humor, I was applauding and laughing as I read.

Dumbledore kicks ÅSS
Albert Speer
Old June 23, 2003, 15:42   #56
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
I agree with monolith on this. There are fewer jokes, but they're much funnier IMHO.
Old June 23, 2003, 15:46   #57
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I agree with FP

Old June 23, 2003, 15:46   #58
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Spoiler:
I LOVED when harry said to Lucius "yeah, I'm good at escaping...
Albert Speer
Old June 23, 2003, 15:48   #59
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Hw would one pornounce ass with the 'o' over the A?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 23, 2003, 15:53   #60
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

You tell me, I just did it to bypass the censors. Fûcking censors.
Albert Speer