Old June 22, 2003, 20:47   #1
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Military Garrisons
Another issue to deal with... should we increase military funding?

With a foreign power contacted, we run the risk of invasion (granted, it is small at this early stage), but still, should we increase the number and quality of the military we produce.

The most pertinant application of this issue right now is this... should we increase the garrison at Pi Square? It is open to attack from PEACE from the sea, and they can transport their troops quickly. Is one Scout Patrol enough to protect our frontline base, even if PEACE appears benign, or at least indifferent, at this point?
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 23, 2003, 08:47   #2
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

/me puts up a really big carboard stand-up of the Gorilla in the Pi Square base*

They shouldn't be bothering us
Old June 23, 2003, 15:51   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't think it's needed. Growing, especially with our growth penalty, is our #1 concern ATM IMHO, and so I think we should grow first. We do not need to defend from the Pirates, as they do not have a huge army by any means, and we are at treaty with them. This is unlikely to change, as we are more benefit to them trading techs. I think we should go for as much friendship as possible, and only garrison it properly when we have formers and CPs being built, and our faction growing. A good point to discuss, but not needed yet IMHO.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 23, 2003, 16:03   #4
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

If this treaty breaks down, we presumably wouldnt want to get caught with out pants down, so perhaps we should keep some degree of military. In a hypothetical war with the pirates, how can we expect to fare? If not very well, then we need to increase spending, if not, then we can justify keeping it as it is.

There is no use in having a high rate of growth if it means us getting annihilated.
Old June 23, 2003, 20:13   #5
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

It won't break down. They would lose face for doing so, and have more to gain through our cooperation. Even if we did, they don't even have laser yet, so they couldn't beat our scout, and they would need time to produce and get over here, easily enough to get a synthmetal or two. We have nothing to worry about. Being a sea faction too, and us a land faction, even if they destroyed that, they probably don't have the land troops to take the base. We're safe, and growth now could determine who wins the game. The early game is extremely important, and we need to grow outwards, since we grow slowly in population per base. We need many bases to help our tech and to grow even faster. If we grow fast, there are more bases to take too, but that will not happen.

Old June 23, 2003, 21:20   #6
Corellion
Prince

I fully agree. I was just posting this to bring up discussion on the issue. In any case, let's make sure we always have at least one SP in Pi Square, just in case.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old June 24, 2003, 09:19   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i agree with drogue but as military function i would like to say that we need to keep an eye on the situation...and as soon as we are not clear what to build in any base build a garrison for Pi square
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 24, 2003, 11:30   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
I'd say we only need to worry if we see they have Applied Physics (then we should build some synthmetal 1-2-2 skirmishers) or Planetary Networks (then we should build a 0-1-1 probe defence in Pi Square).
Old June 24, 2003, 15:39   #9
Drogue
staff

Building a probe soon might be a good idea to be safe, but they don't have laser yet, and are willing to trade Industrial Base which they may be getting in a couple of turns. If they had military intentions, I don't think they would trade us synthmetal tech personally. And if they do, then we get impact, foils, and go and tech steal some bases

Old June 25, 2003, 01:04   #10
Corellion
Prince

Indeed!