Old June 27, 2003, 10:59   #31
Grond
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
War3 is all about micro. Blizzard designed it as the ultimate micro test. If you learn all the hotkeys and have a fast computer its doable but micro was definitely maximized as much as posible and macro was all but eliminated with the supply penalty. Brian Reynolds best game, Gettysburg, also has morale in fact its all about morale. The flanking implmentation is also very similar to Gettysburg.
Grond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2003, 11:27   #32
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
If war3 is all about micro, then I don't see the big deal about it... I liked it
Old July 4, 2003, 14:13   #33
Nameless One
Settler

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Josephus I

Paratroopers would be great. I was thinking about that last night in a game I was in, how cool it would be to send in a commando team and take out my enemy's missile silos.
Cruise missles are your friend here. If you haven't got that far then it is best to send in as many bombers as possible.

I got nuked 6 times once before being able to fire back. Luckily nukes can only be targeted at cities so the military and some infrastructure was left.
Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2003, 14:34   #34
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Nameless One
I got nuked 6 times once before being able to fire back. Luckily nukes can only be targeted at cities so the military and some infrastructure was left.

The nukes can also target other buildings... not just cities... or is it only ICBM that can do that?
Old July 8, 2003, 11:03   #35
Proserpine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Knights and Merchants also implemented the military and civilian need for food. It is a fun game.
. . . though rather simple, and with no real strategy to speak of. Thanks! I had thought I was the only person who enjoyed K&M.
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2003, 23:32   #36
RKJanus
Settler

Conquest Frontier Wars had this. Each unit had a limited amount of ammo, that could only be resupplied by supply bases or supply ships.

Better would be if you had to have a number of 'drivers/pilots' for each vehicle you built who had health and took splash damage from any damage to the vehicle. These guys also need food. You can also recrew the vechicle say by using your villagers or infantry units.

As food demand outstrips supply, you have various degrees of suffering in your population.

90% necessary food: units fight less effectively.
80% necessary food: infantry units furthest from farms start to lose health.
70% necessary food: all military units start to suffer.
50% and belwo: all units start to suffer.
RKJanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2003, 11:31   #37
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

What do people think of the Research system in Ron?
It dosen't appear to matter if you only have 1 library unless you want to research multiple sciences, which is interesting.

I do like the 'luxury' bonuses resources that give you specific bonuses like faster healing ships with Citrus etc.

I've only played the RON trial demo version for a couple of days which is only a small section of the whole game.

The main research tree looks too simple, I thought Age of Kings seemed to have a better system, with more tech branches.. some techs needing 2 others. There are no real government or production tech types, you can't have communism against democracy.. the civil administration side seems very basic.. though its good that corruption can be fixed by just resaerching more civic tech.

Its great that techs need resources.
It would have been nice to have Relic items like in AOE or AOK, collectable items that give good advantages.

I think microsoft may have not wanted this game to be too much of a mix of gameplay types, it would have been interesting to have more God game in this, maybe more character unit interaction and morale etc.

I think it seems a great RTS strategy game, with some of the best city building engine i've seen.. though i'd like to be able to build Bridges over rivers(dosen't appear possible) to reduce movement costs.

I'm not sure about if the upgrade function is silly or not, it would be better if units had to go back to barracks to upgrade.. its too easy to have your units half way acros s the world suddenly become Tanks.

Its great the amount of units and special nation units.

I hope i can buy this game soon.
Admiral PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2003, 20:55   #38
iamlod
Chieftain

This is completely unrelated to food, citizens, or morale in any way.

I'd like to see some changes to the wonders of RoN. I think it would be cool if certain nations got additional bonuses for building certain nations. This could be based on whether or not the nation actually build that wonder. (It might have to change to nations from a certain region of the world get extra bonuses from building wonders that appeared in that same region because I don't think they should make 1 wonder per nation). (did anyone understand that?)
Say, if Egypt build the Pyramids they would get some extra bonus. Or instead: if and nation who started in eastern europe built Versaille, they would recieve extra benifits.
iamlod is offline   Reply With Quote