Old June 23, 2003, 15:29   #1
Shin-Shishi
Settler

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ultima Online
Ultima Online has always been my favourite Online-game, although the graphics are, well, let's say: far from modern. What makes UO huge in my opinion is that you can really do a lot of things, play different types of characters, interact with other players, and, errm, kill them

Unfortunatly EA (the company who owns the game) has totally turned what UO was some years ago into a nightmare - so, I quit my account (hell, why pay for something that is not fun after all?). Luckily a friend of mine told me, that you can play UO for free too, on the so-called "freeshards" - which are, in fact, UO-servers run by players for players. Now, woosh, there were many, many shards, and it really took me some while to find one I like....

Long speech, short sense, my new favourite UO-shard can be found at www.endeffect.org. What I like about this shard, is that there is no pressure or endless interviews to get on - there is friendly staff that really cares about your issues, and the people who are playing there are really nice too. The gamestyle is a *lot* like the UO of the old those, if one of you actually played it. This means: PvP is encouraged, so is RPG, but it is not enforced. An unique thing there is too, that the clients support the UO:Third Dawn version of the game too (at least I did not see that on any other shard I checked out, which does not mean that there isn't another one) - so, if you maybe want to try out UO, or return to the game, check out this server! And, of course, it does not cost a penny
Old June 24, 2003, 09:23   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Free UO? Now that is tempting. I certainly wouldn't pay to play more of a game which I used more as a blacksmithing simulator than anythign else in the past

If you have the original CD, do you have to d/l a gig of patch data to play?
Old June 26, 2003, 16:37   #3
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 06:22
So If I buy UO I can play wuithout monthly/annual/daily Fees?
Old June 30, 2003, 07:12   #4
Shin-Shishi
Settler

Local Time: 04:22
If you got a copy of UO (really, any - I think you can even download the old versions for free, would be worth a try maybe) you can play without monthly fees - so without spending any money at all

For most freeshards you will have to download their clients, though - which is not a big deal after all. Patching is usally not required, and if it is only in that far that you would simply let it patch...

Not much effort, in my opinion, and well worth a try