Old June 24, 2003, 16:26   #1
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have a suggestion for the Poly admins and mods related to the unfortunate suspension of avatars due to the server slowness...

In my brief experience with vBulletin I believe there is an option to disable uploading avatars as well as disabling the avatar gallery. But there is still another option that remains which is to link to a picture outside the board.

That means, for example, you can upload your avatar to somewhere else (say if you're registered in another forum you can use that pic) and link to it here. That would not cause any bandwidth problems as every time the page loads the bandwidth would be occupied by the other site and not Apolyton.

The only problem I see is that people may start uploading avatars to their upload accounts and linking them there... but after the recent "crackdown" on uploads, perhaps people will think twice

-MZ

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 24, 2003, 16:34   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't know that it would do me any good but if it gave a shot to get my screaming baby avatar back up I'd go for it.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:51   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:27
Sheesh, why are people making such a big deal out of the avatar thing? What would you rather have? Avatars, or actually being able to access the site?

We went 4 years without them so we can do with another a few days/weeks...
Old June 24, 2003, 16:54   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:27
ZEN, even when you link them, the server downloads them, i've tested it.
Old June 24, 2003, 17:02   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I still have webspace from ISP provider I don't really use, so I could have a couple of avatars on there.
Old June 24, 2003, 17:20   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
we'd like both

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you are saying.

I have a website I can put my avatar on if that's what you mean.

This poses a qustion I was wondering about. does linking images to Apolyton using the image tag reduce bandwith and take up server space?
Old June 24, 2003, 18:22   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

The only bandwidth it would consume would be to convert the img tags into html code so that it can be displayed. The actual picture itself wouldn't take up any bandwidth.

Personally, I would support allowing off-site avatars, because then I could point mine to a PHP script on my website and have it select a random avatar every time somebody views a page with my posts on it.
Old June 24, 2003, 19:39   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 05:27
Well let's see what the next week or so holds for the avatars and general server reliability before considering drastic changes.
Old June 24, 2003, 20:01   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
The only bandwidth it would consume would be to convert the img tags into html code so that it can be displayed. The actual picture itself wouldn't take up any bandwidth.

Personally, I would support allowing off-site avatars, because then I could point mine to a PHP script on my website and have it select a random avatar every time somebody views a page with my posts on it.
you'd only be able to link to images, you nit wit.

i don't think they'd want me with the ability to add PHP and javascript code to poly pages
Old June 24, 2003, 21:48   #10
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
ZEN, even when you link them, the server downloads them, i've tested it.
how so? you are downloading them from another site, not Apolyton, in fact you can check in the status bar of your browser and see how when that image is being downloaded, it shows the link to the other site.

I know a lot of forums do this precisely to avoid bandwidth problems.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 24, 2003, 21:49   #11
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Off-site avatars ARE supported, check it one avatars are re-enables, problem is that since you are able to upload them, most people choose to upload rather than link.

Old June 24, 2003, 22:00   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
ooOOOOooooOOooo Look at me.....
-
No alternating avatars btw , confusing enough as it is...
Old June 24, 2003, 22:17   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:27
With Markos off in the army at right now, and Dan holding the fort by himself, I don't think this will be a priority. Sure, it would be good, but the effort needed would probably be prohibitive. Besides, all we need to do is wait until the RoN Rush (tm) is over and avatars should be back.
Old June 24, 2003, 22:42   #14
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
With Markos off in the army at right now, and Dan holding the fort by himself, I don't think this will be a priority. Sure, it would be good, but the effort needed would probably be prohibitive. Besides, all we need to do is wait until the RoN Rush (tm) is over and avatars should be back.
IIRC switching these things is just a few clicks in the Admin CP away...

Old June 24, 2003, 22:53   #15
alva
Deity

Summer should help traffic too.
Old June 25, 2003, 00:34   #16
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Off-site avatars ARE supported, check it one avatars are re-enables, problem is that since you are able to upload them, most people choose to upload rather than link.
I know that you can link to an avatar that is currently off site. HOWEVER, like Uberkrux said earlier, without a hack to the forums software, vbulletin will save the image to the server the forums are running on and load it from there. Believe me, I've tested it.
Old June 25, 2003, 01:14   #17
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

I know that you can link to an avatar that is currently off site. HOWEVER, like Uberkrux said earlier, without a hack to the forums software, vbulletin will save the image to the server the forums are running on and load it from there. Believe me, I've tested it.
ah that sucks then... oh well, I guess we'll have to wait

Old June 25, 2003, 09:45   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

MZ,

you say you have experience with vB? Then you would have known that. Meh.

To be precise, by standard all avatars are saved by vBulletin in the MySQL database, including all gallery avatars, uploaded custom avatars and custom avatars saved by the vB PHP script into the MySQL database. On ACS Forums the difference is that all avatars are saved as regular files via Apache, so they are not located in the database as usually. This reduces the number of time required to load pages and reduces the number of SQL queries. You could of course change the off-site avatars to be directly loaded from the entered location, however that would require some work by Markos or Dan, which doesn't seem to be possible now as both seem to be very occupied. Also using the tweak seen on vBulletin.org is ruled out as it's not compliant with the current system in which avatars are as files. However you could of course always change the policy so that only actual off-site avatars are allowed.

Ergo epso facto, like Loc said, avatars aren't the #1 priority. What is more important is to make the service stable first as there has been frequently very high load spikes and the QoS has dropped. Keepin all avatars disabled is maybe an equal solution for now. Ideas worth to concider are using a separate server for MySQL, mirror server and the various forms of financial support, which could result in a database or mirror server. Apolyton is after all already very large with ~35 000 users registered and many anonymous ones.

Quote:
Ixy,

that would require enabling dynamic addresses for images, which is possibly opposed by the site ownership due to the fact it opens a backdoor.
Old June 25, 2003, 09:53   #19
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Darn DP
Old June 25, 2003, 09:53   #20
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Personally, I could do without the little group icons. They can be a bit overwelming when you have over half a dozen of them.
Old June 25, 2003, 10:29   #21
Rasbelin
Emperor

Yes, Rah, those are also a way to decrease the database load.
Old June 25, 2003, 10:33   #22
alva
Deity

Can't disagree on that one, one or two are nice, but too much is too much

And if it helps, get rid of them (temporarely?).
Old June 25, 2003, 12:49   #23
ixnay
Emperor

Also, if you do have to do some tinkering around to get avatars back, could you enable .pngs for avatars while you're at it?
Old June 25, 2003, 13:57   #24
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Can't disagree on that one, one or two are nice, but too much is too much
They're getting as bad as medals on a generals uniform.
Just how meaningful are they? I don't even know what some of them stand for. At least Avatars add some personality, but I do understand and support why we're not using them for a period. They'll be back.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:31   #25
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
MZ,

you say you have experience with vB? Then you would have known that. Meh.
I said brief experience. A couple of days of trying it out does not mean I know the whole system. The board I use for my site doesn't save images on the database so I assumed vB did the same.

Old June 25, 2003, 14:37   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

ah, the site is so much faster now that Avatars are disabled!

Ban the avatars forever!

I feel so happy!
Old June 25, 2003, 15:29   #27
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

The board I use for my site doesn't save images on the database so I assumed vB did the same.
Invision Power Boards and vBulletin are two different PHP scripts, so don't make too hasty assuptions. They're very different from each other.
Old June 25, 2003, 16:04   #28
Japher
Emperor

I miss the Avatars, but since the have gone I have had no problem loading the pages...