Old June 25, 2003, 19:46   #1
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Help Messages seems to cause RoN to freeze
I have been plagued by RoN freezing around 15 seconds into any game, or freezing while attempting to complete the tutorials. After trying a number of different things, I finally found a way to play the game without it freezing (as much). Set the message detail to low or off.

As to the freeze itself, the game freezes but for some time the mouse is still able to move. Windows then brings up a BSOD stating that the graphics driver has gone into an infinite loop and the problem seems to be with nv4_disp. After the computer resets, an XP error message states that "The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation."

My system is:
CPU: Athlon 1GHz
Memory: 512Mb
Mobo: Asus A7V kt133
Sound: Soundblaster Live Value Asound Express
Graphics: GeForce Ti 4600
Driver: 40.72 (WHQL signed)

One would think that a WHQL signed driver would not be the problem. While I can generally play the game now that Help Message detail is low, the game still does occasionally freeze and I don't have much idea yet what (for example) the effect a certain wonder has. Setting it lower to prevent freezes means I have no idea how much things cost.

If someone from BHG could look into this and perhaps fix this, that would be great. For others also experiencing continuous freezing, hopefully this might help you too.
Old June 29, 2003, 20:42   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Has anyone tried this? Did it help or not?
Please reply.