Old June 26, 2003, 13:45   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Recommend Me A Good Space Strategy Games
Real Time or turn based would be acceptable. I'm up here and often have a few hours at a time free and I'm looking for a good space strategy games. I need something that will immerse me in the story line. All recommondations are welcome.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 26, 2003, 13:48   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
The only one I can recommmend from experience is MOO2 (or MOO1).

galcivs seems popular, and there is Homeworld.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 26, 2003, 13:50   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

MOO1 would be my recommendation, and it's probably real cheap about now.
Old June 26, 2003, 13:52   #4
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MOO3 is cheaper.
Old June 26, 2003, 13:53   #5
Sprayber
Emperor

Whats the big difference between MOO1 and MOO2? or do you have to have MOO1 to get MOO2
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 26, 2003, 13:53   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Wrong forum! No +1s for us!!!

Galciv is good, especially in the storyline department. MOO2 seems to be what you want, though.

Also, Imperium Galactica 2 would be good for diversionary means, just don't expect it to be perfect. It does have a terrific interface, though, and lovely graphics and sound.

Avoid MOO3 at all costs.
Old June 26, 2003, 13:57   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
galcivs seems popular, and there is Homeworld.
GalCiv, judging by the demo, seems good. MOO1 and MOO2 are on the same vein. Imperium Galactica II is a nice choice as well.

Homeworld is labeled as "a real-time strategy game" but I'd rather call it a real time tactical game. I usually don't like the pace of RT games but Homeworld's is just right. It's much, much more immersive than the TBS games in terms of storyline and could be just the thing you're looking for. It's quite aged (1999) so you should find it for cheap. There's also a half-sequel called Cataclysm that doesn't quite live up to the original Homeworld, and Homeworld 2 is going to be released later this year.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 26, 2003 at 14:05.
Old June 26, 2003, 14:04   #8
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Wrong forum! No +1s for us!!!
I can't have you getting close to my post count now .

Quote:
Galciv is good, especially in the storyline department. MOO2 seems to be what you want, though.

Also, Imperium Galactica 2 would be good for diversionary means, just don't expect it to be perfect. It does have a terrific interface, though, and lovely graphics and sound.

Avoid MOO3 at all costs.

I've heard of Galciv and looked at the forum here on poly.

Has anyone ever heard of Haegemonia Legions of Iron? I saw it the other day but didnt have time to look at any details
Old June 26, 2003, 14:07   #9
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia

GalCiv, judging by the demo, seems good. MOO1 and MOO2 are on the same vein. Imperium Galactica II is a nice choice as well.

Homeworld is labeled as "a real-time strategy game" but I'd rather call it a real time tactical game. I usually don't like the pace of RT games but Homeworld's is just right. It's much, much more immersive than the TBS games in terms of storyline and could be just the thing you're looking for. It's quite aged (1999) so you should find it for cheap. There's also a half-sequel called Cataclysm that doesn't quite live up to the original Homeworld, and Homeworld 2 is going to be released later this year.
Hey Kass. long time no see I knew about Homeworld but thought it was heavy on the tactical side. I might check it out though
Old June 26, 2003, 14:08   #10
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Just got GalCiv a couple of weeks ago. It is really a pretty decent game. (Of course I don't think it compares to Civ). I think that Boris is right, the storyline is good.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 26, 2003, 14:09   #11
The diplomat
King

Re: Recommend Me A Good Space Strategy Games
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Real Time or turn based would be acceptable. I'm up here and often have a few hours at a time free and I'm looking for a good space strategy games. I need something that will immerse me in the story line. All recommondations are welcome.
Conquest: Frontier Wars is a great Real-time space strategy game. It is a lot of fun and has some unique featuers as well. You build infrastructure around planets. Each planet can only take a certain number of infrastructure. There are 3 planet types, rocky, gas, and earth type. Rocky give you ore, gas give you well gas, and earth type give you ore, gas and crew. The 3 ressources are ore, gas and crew. There are also nebula to give you gas, and asteroid fields to give you ore. Ressources do deplete over time.
The game has a unique map system. Each system has its own map with planets, nebulas and asteroid fields. Each map is separate and are linked by wormholes. So, the only way to travel from one map to the next is through the wormholes. You can build jumpgates on the wormhole to prevent enemy ships from using it. Also, infrastructure that is in a system that does not have a HQ will not function unless you have a jumgate connecting the system to a system that does have a HQ.
The game also has an excellent supply system. Every time a ship fires its weapons, it uses up some ammunition. You can send supply ships with your fleet, to resupply your ships of ammo on the spot. Or, you can resupply your ships by sending them back to supply stations. it works well.
The game also lets you recruit Admirals, which give your fleet special bonuses.
There are 3 unique races to choose from. The humans, all around fair, a cybernetic race with excellent defensive tech and awesome end tech, and an insect-like hive race that has amazing carrier tech.

I highly recommend the game. It is a blast!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old June 26, 2003, 14:12   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
Quote:

I can't have you getting close to my post count now .

im only 195 posts away from king. I will therefore officially boycott any game related thread on the OT Forum
Old June 26, 2003, 14:15   #13
Sprayber
Emperor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look them all up and check them out. Right now I'm off to the shop for more work.
Old June 26, 2003, 14:28   #14
Q Classic
Emperor

moo2 and homeworld.
Old June 26, 2003, 22:25   #15
Rex Little
Prince

Quote:
Whats the big difference between MOO1 and MOO2? or do you have to have MOO1 to get MOO2
Not only are they independent (you don't need one to play the other) but they're very different games. Development in MOO1 is more abstract; you colonize and develop star systems, rather than individual planets, and you spend production points building industrial capacity, research capacity and/or ships. In MOO2 you occupy planets (most star systems have more than one) and you build specific facilities on each planet which have different benefits. It's more like Civ that way.

Ship combat in MOO1 involves fleets of ships represented by one icon per fleet; it's not uncommon to see a fleet of small, cheap ships numbering 1000 or more. In MOO2 each ship has its own icon, and the "command point" system makes it virtually impossible to have more than 20-30 ships in your entire empire.
Old June 26, 2003, 23:09   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

GalCiv definately. That is the best strategy game EVER on first release, and it's still going strong.

If you're into (or don't mind) micromanagement, I'd suggest Star Wars: Rebellion. I liked it, though the MM got to me and I stopped playing. It's quite old; I don't know if they even sell it anymore, though you can probably find it in bargain bins.
Old June 26, 2003, 23:11   #17
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
If you're into (or don't mind) micromanagement, I'd suggest Star Wars: Rebellion. I liked it, though the MM got to me and I stopped playing. It's quite old; I don't know if they even sell it anymore, though you can probably find it in bargain bins.
You would have to really hate a person to recommend the stinkfest that was Rebellion to them. Or such a SW zealot as to defy all reason!

Spray, don't listen to him. Avoid Rebellion at all costs. It will make MOO3 seem entertaining!
Old June 26, 2003, 23:14   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

That's why I put the MM warning in. Plus he wouldn't be out more than five bucks probably.
Old June 26, 2003, 23:40   #19
Lonestar
inmate
King

Birth of the Federation.
Old June 27, 2003, 01:17   #20
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rex Little
Ship combat in MOO1 involves fleets of ships represented by one icon per fleet; it's not uncommon to see a fleet of small, cheap ships numbering 1000 or more. In MOO2 each ship has its own icon, and the "command point" system makes it virtually impossible to have more than 20-30 ships in your entire empire.
Nice clear summaries of the differences. Obviosuly MOO2 is more advanced. Diplomacy is more complex, and you can have multiracial empires (unlike before) and you can custom make your races.

Oh, and RL: 20-30 ships? I have had single battles were each side had 70+ ships. You can pay for ships beyond Command points. In MOO1 , the most any single ship type could have was 32000.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 28, 2003, 02:57   #21
Rex Little
Prince

Well, I admit I pulled that 20-30 figure out of my a**; it's been awhile since I played the game (the CD's gone missing). My point was that the numbers are orders of magnitude less than in MOO1. Anyway, I know I never saw anything close to 70 ships in a fleet in any game I played.
Old June 28, 2003, 03:05   #22
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Birth of the Federation.
Ill! ::barf::

There's a little known game called Starships Unlimited, which is excellent.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Stars! or Space Empire.
Old June 28, 2003, 05:00   #23
geeslaka
Prince

Try the Escape Velocity series by Ambrosia. http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/evo/
I know those games are not strategy but they are very good space games. Before my mac died (broken back) EV Override kept me entertained for hours on end. If you do get it, make sure you install ResEdit as well so you can make plugins. I was playing it on a powermac 6600 so you wouldn't need a high-end mac to play it.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old June 28, 2003, 06:50   #24
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 05:35
Master of Orion 2

And be prepared to do something else (cooking, working, sleeping,...) while its the computers turn in a gigantic space battle
Old June 28, 2003, 06:53   #25
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
Personally, I like MoO 1 better.
Old June 28, 2003, 08:30   #26
VJ
King

I second Kassi, except for Imperium Galactica 2, which I haven't played (read some reviews, though).
Old June 28, 2003, 08:39   #27
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:35
ImpGal2 sucked IMO. Imperium Galactica I is much better!
Old June 28, 2003, 10:03   #28
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
That's why I put the MM warning in. Plus he wouldn't be out more than five bucks probably.
MM isn't the most of Rebellion's woes. The interface is so ludicrously cumbersome I have to wonder if anyone actually sat down and played the game prior to release. The build and travel times are agonizingly slow, the fleet tactical combat is horribly uninteresting, the planet maintenance system is crap, and the game simply fails to capture a real aura of the SW universe. It's as if they designed a (bad) space conquest game and then just slapped SW graphics and terminology on it.

The only things I found good about Rebellion that I'd like to see transferred to other games were the fleet and ship nomenclature system and the character missions.
Old June 28, 2003, 10:08   #29
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
ImpGal2 sucked IMO. Imperium Galactica I is much better!
IG2 has one huge flaw in that, by the late game, the vaunted tactics of fleet combat are rendered moot by the super-huge ships you can build which are pretty much immune to smaller ships and fighters. So you can just build up one massive fleet of 300 or so ships and fly it around, demolishing every enemy fleet you encounter. Worse, the way combat works means that even if your fleet of 300 encounters and enemy fleet of, say, 150 ships, the enemy will be totally annhiliated and you will suffer minimal casualties. That makes a superfleet pretty much unstoppable.

However, IG2 has superb graphics for its day(the tactical combat graphics really shine), an engrossing atmosphere and storyline, and probably the best GUI I've seen to this day in a 4X game.
Old June 28, 2003, 10:10   #30
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

This would really be easier for me to do if you would list a few Good Space Strategy Games you liked already.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club