Old September 18, 2003, 23:49   #211
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You are more powerful than he, yet you are his slave.

Ironic, isn't it?
Old September 19, 2003, 00:32   #212
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Merely because they have the ability to properly displace water... I think we should know that by now.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old September 19, 2003, 07:28   #213
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:36
The latest message:

Quote:
Thanks for the messge-- I will incorporate your arguments into my attempts to make a deal. It does appear that energy only is the only option.

Other points

1. vagueness in the ind auto deal was due to it being negotiated by others-- I always like to nail things down ( occupational hazard I guess) and all future dealing will be with me

2. You MIGHT be able to buy it from the AI-- they can be reluctant to give up tech sometimes . . . Researching it yourself is the worst option as we both know.

3. I can see your arguments against tech and credits in this case-- it was just the way the last message was eordrd, it seemed that you would not pay credits plus tech for a tech EVER. That seemed odd and even unfriendly since we gave you credits earlier in an immediate tech for tech deal. we didn't think that deal was equal but we gave a little extra because we hoped to forge a strong friendship.

I'll be in touch

Flub
Old September 19, 2003, 10:57   #214
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 05:36
I think that the problem is not Flubber, he seems co-operative enough.

It's maybe the rest (or some) of the Peace faction who aren't willing to trade on a tech-tech basis with no EC's because of
1-we've granted them advantageous deals in the past and they feel they will get them again
and/or 2- they feel like they would be losing a lot when they gave us a tech while we still owed them one.

Maybe the straight energy-tech deal will prove satisfying ... otherwise I fear for our future relations
Old September 19, 2003, 17:37   #215
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

And I fear for the Pirates
Old September 19, 2003, 17:45   #216
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Actually we're below them on the powergraph. They have a higher mineral and energy production. We have missed the SPs the HGP and PTS. We have more reasons to be afraid.
Old September 19, 2003, 22:08   #217
Nubclear

It's not how powerful you are that matters.....
Old September 21, 2003, 15:24   #218
Maniac

PM from Flubber. I've told him I'll await reactions of other cyborgs:

Quote:
Re: DocFlex negotiations

Honored maniac

There seems to be a greater willingness to trade tech for future tech than I thought, particularly if we can get a tech back pretty quick. AS I understand it, you were willing to accept the mortgage idea in that you not trade on doc flex until we were fully paid it---

So heres the deal I think you were willing to accept . ..

-- We trade you doc flex in return for a future tech to be paid

-- you must switch to a level 2 tech of our choice and send it back to us ( this complete the old deal essentially)

-- you owe us a tech ( level 2 or up) and must make best efforts to return it to us and cannot trade doc flex until this second tech is paid.

Do I have this deal straight? Was this the deal that was acceptable to you.

Flub
Some observations:

Quote:
you must switch to a level 2 tech of our choice
Of their choice? So we wouldn't have a say in it?

Quote:
you owe us a tech ( level 2 or up)
So if we would eg research the for them very valuable level 3 tech Gene Splicing after EthCalc, we wouldn't be able to request a small amount of credits to compensate the higher value of this technology?

Last edited by Maniac; September 21, 2003 at 15:32.
Old September 21, 2003, 16:58   #219
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
We do not switch to a level 2 tech of their choice... we switch to Ethical Calculus... that's what we agreed upon.

And no, we won't give them 'a future tech'. We will give them 'gene splicing' once we research it, or 'Doctrine: Initiative' once we research it, or 'Intellectual Integrity' once we research it.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old September 21, 2003, 19:00   #220
Maniac

My response to the PM mentioned above:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Well that's a pleasant surprise. I'll await some reactions of other cyborgs before giving an official reaction.

Maniac
Flubber:

Quote:
Maniac

Don't get me wrong here-- I don't have a final agreement from our side but people do seem concerned about good relations and they like the idea of tech more than money apparently.

I have not checked operations for some time . . .. you are still a few turns before discovery . . . right ??
Me:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

I understand.
I checked and apparently we're still seven years away from research. So we have plenty of time. Though of course personally I would prefer to get the tech sooner than later.

Btw, I have a two personal & informal questions to help clarify this proposal.

Quote:
you must switch to a level 2 tech of our choice
Does that mean PEACE would have the full right to decide our next tech research, instead of that it would be decided in consensus?

Quote:
you owe us a tech ( level 2 or up)
While personally I don't have any problem with giving you most level 2 or 3 techs in exchange for DocFlex, I do give higher importance to Intellectual Integrity and especially Gene Splicing. I was wondering, if after researching eg EthCalc we would switch research to Gene Splicing and not some other level 2 tech, would you demand Gene Splicing right away, or would you be willing to pay an - of course minor- amount of credits to compensate the (IMHO) higher value of Gene Splicing?
This is merely a personal and informal question. I don't know what the others' opinion about Gene Splicing is.

Greetings,

Maniac
Flubber:

Quote:
Good questions

-- asking for extra credits would be pushing it BIG TIME IMHO since we will have to wait a number of turns to get a tech back anyway-- you want a tech AND credits to give a tech perhaps 10-20 years later -- YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!! Under the scenario I outlined you choose what to research ( from among ANYTHING we do not have), after giving us back one tech ( which we indicate) -- we would be delighted if it were GS but we live with it if its something else. Would you agree to pay US if it were poly soft ??? I won't even raise this in our forums because it would kill the possibility of a deal, as it follows so closely on your " not a microcredit" position when we asked for compensation for the fact that we won't get a tech back for what seems like forever.

--- I thought your own messages have indicated repeatedly that we could choose the level 2 tech we wanted back from you immediately and you would get it. I can look for the quotes again but that was definitely the sense I got -- I don't see that we are directing research so much as saying what we are trading for-- I did not think this would be contentious . . .

Third-- your preference to have doc flex "sooner rather than later" is evidence that acquiring a tech sooner is more valuable than later, a concept you have never acknowledged. If you are 7 years from doc flex, that means you are currently 7 years from returning a tech in completion of the Ind auto deal and perhaps 17-20 years from discovering your next tech by research.

Finally-- I thought what I set out was simply a restatement of what you had earlier indicated as being willing to accept. If thats not the case let me know what you would accept . Getting this deal approved on our side is tenuous as it is. WE have one player wishing to tell you to " stuff it", a couple of pro-traders and a couple on the fence it seems.

I look forward to your official position
Then I tried to send back the following, but his PM box is full.

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Quote:
-- asking for extra credits would be pushing it BIG TIME IMHO since...
[confidential]Good points. Let's forget I even mentioned it.[/confidential]

Quote:
--- I thought your own messages have indicated repeatedly that...
You are correct if you mean PEACE can choose unilaterally the tech it wants back in exchange for DocFlex. You are incorrect if you mean PEACE can choose unilaterally the tech it wants back to complete the IndAut deal. From your sentence "this complete the old deal essentially" I got the impression you were referring to the old deal. But the tech to complete the IndAut deal should be agreed upon by consensus, and I thought we had agreed on Ethical Calculus?

Quote:
Third-- your preference to have doc flex "sooner rather than later"...
I acknowledge the concepts bears weight in a "fair trade". It doesn't effect the price we're willing to pay in this "low demand - high supply" situation. It's PEACE's free choice to or not to accept the fact that we won't be able to repay DocFlex immediately.

Quote:
Finally-- I thought what I set out was simply a restatement of what you had earlier indicated as being willing to accept. If thats not the case let me know what you would accept .
To avoid surprises, could you please tell us the tech - or give a list of possible techs - you would accept in return? Or perhaps - if that would be shorter - a list of techs you wouldn't accept?

(New text...) Some time after writing the above, I was wondering what you would think about the following: Would you agree to the proposal that if the Consciousness started researching a tech that you indicated you'd want, that you will not trade for that tech with another faction, even if they offered it to you at a good price? This proposal would be to prevent that we would be in debt towards you for eternity.

Greetings,

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; September 22, 2003 at 13:04.
Old September 22, 2003, 12:20   #221
Phenix
Warlord

Seems nice to me, glad they are finally gaining reason
hope we can stick to this deal and get it through

my opinion on the future tech we'll owe them:
I don't care trading them Gene Sp. (or some other higher lvl tech) for Doc:Flex.
Like Flubber says they have to wait some time, which IMHO is enough compensation for the lvl2/lvl3 difference in tech.
Old September 22, 2003, 13:32   #222
Maniac

I liked Flubber's last proposal, but now he seems to be worsening the deal for us again:

Quote:
Latest personal note

We don't want you in debt to us for eternity either
. We want to get repaid sometime soon--

Lets think of the deal the opposite way from how I have portrayed it earlier -- you give us our " chosen tech" for doc flex immediately ( through switching research)-- Thats fair -- tech for tech and immediate. Period . end of this deal . . . .

The ind auto deal is still pending but it is as it was . . . you owe us a non level 1 tech and return it when you can, making good faith efforts to do so .

Ten or 15 years ago we wanted eth calc most but now, we are getting nervous militarily and are thinking that we want a weapons tech like non linear or HEC as soon as possible-- THis should be a good choice for you as well, considering you have AI in close proximity.

THose 2 techs could serve as a short list of sorts with non linear as first choice. If you have other techs you prefer, say so, but eth calc will not work for us now.

I think I could sway the naysayers in our faction by saying doc flex for nonlinear straight up, with your Nonlin being returned to us the turn after we send doc flex- this ends arguments about time value of techs since the return on this trade will be immediate.

The "owed tech " issue would still be there but I can portray that as an issue from a previous deal that should not impact on the "tech for tech" fairness of this deal.

Ther's a proposal. By altering how I present it, I should easily have the votes to swing this. Its essentially a simple tech for tech and ignoring the ind auto deal except for you to confirm the tech is owed and you will try to get a tech to us "soon".

That owed tech may be an issue between us and reflects the problems when people negotiate an uncertainty. Our people are unhappy they have not been paid yet while your people are unhappy to have a continuing debt. Bottom line is you will pay us back when you get a tech (non level 1) we don't have. If that tech happens to be MMI well all the better. but it will probably end up being something much less glamourous. My personal feeling is that we would accept pretty much any tech rather than wait and wait to get paid for 30 or 50 years

Flub
I'm wondering why they suddenly want a weapons tech. Do they fear us with DocFlex? Do they plan to attack us because we are, in their opinion probably, being so annoying in diplomacy? Or are they being treated military by the Angels or Hive?
Personally I wouldn't mind that much switching to HEC, as that is on the road to D:AP, but I don't really feel much for NonlMath right now... What do others think??

And if I understand them right, they would only give us DocFlex when we could give them NonlMath the turn after. That would mean we would only get DocFlex in six years! If that would be the case, I would actually prefer to buy DocFlex from the AI right now, as I was planning to ask Corellion if he wanted to switch production in Pi Square (which completes its current crawler production next year) to a gun foil or probe skimship, right after we got DocFlex.
Old September 22, 2003, 19:06   #223
Maniac

No comments?

If nothing has suggestions, I'll tell them that we won't be willing to switch to NonlMath, but we would to HEC. I would also tell them (in friendlier words) that unless they're willing to give DocFlex pre-accepted this turn, that the deal's off and that we will buy DocFlex from the AI as soon as we get our turn.

If you do not agree with this, please speak up before I screw the entire deal!
Old September 23, 2003, 09:08   #224
Maniac

My PM from yesterday:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Though a majority of cyborgs would probably have agreed with your previous proposal, I don't know what the opinion of the Collective about this would be. I'll need to consult first before I can give you an answer...

Greetings,

Maniac
His response I read today:

Quote:
Huh??

my initial proposal was always we get a tech of our choice right away and I initially had us getting the choice of your next couple after that-- I have now made it a very simple tech for tech deal and we deal with outstanding ind auto issues separately

What could be fairer??
There are still no comments. If I don't get any feedback, I'll send the following PM in a few hours...

Hi Flubber,

Our private forum seems to have become rather inactive the last two days, so I haven't received many comments yet - only one - on your latest PM. But I'll give you a reaction anyway, so negotiations don't get stalled. Please keep in mind what follows is purely my personal opinion. It won't become official policy until some 36 hours after the CyCon received their turn, and the official turn players haven't shown up yet. If I get several reactions of other cyborgs in the meantime, this PM might become invalid.

Quote:
What could be fairer??
Nothing. But for me in this deal fairness is not an issue.

My personal reaction to your previous PM to me would be:

1> I agree of representing the deal the opposite way. First we finish the DocFlex deal. IndAut is saved for a later - and hopefully close - date.
2> Personally I wouldn't mind switching to HEC as our next tech. I have some doubts about NonlMath though, as that isn't at all in our/my near future research wishes. Perhaps if you could disclose the nature of the military threat you face I would be more willing to help you out and switch to NonlMath...
3> It seems we have had a misunderstanding. For me you giving us DocFlex pre-accepted your next turn (so the CyCon would get the tech in MY 2138) is a conditio sine qua non for this deal. If you only would want to give us DocFlex when we could immediately repay you a tech, I would rather prefer to trade with the AI next turn. Again, I would be willing to pay you a sum of credits right away in return for DocFlex, but if you want a tech, you'll have to wait, unless you're satisfied with one of the techs we already have. Think of it this way: if you insist on getting paid right away, we can only offer you some 80 or 90 credits. If you are willing to wait six years, you will get a tech worth around 300 labs at the moment. The payment more than triples...

Again, please keep in mind that's my personal opinion. I'm more or less the most hardliner cyborg when it comes to negotiating with PEACE, so the opinion of the Collective might be different.

Greetings,

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; September 23, 2003 at 13:57.
Old September 23, 2003, 12:52   #225
Phenix
Warlord

OK, I agree with switching to HEC after getting Doc:Flex.

But like you say, we need Doc:Flex asap, so if they don't want to give it with a tech coming back about 5 turns later, we seriously have to consider trading with the AI
Old September 23, 2003, 14:02   #226
Maniac

Thanks for the comment.
Seeing you agree, I'm sending the PM above.
Old September 23, 2003, 16:10   #227
Maniac

Expected response. I told you guys I might tick of Flubber... Hopefully Flubber doesn't tell al these things I say to all the PEACE people.

Quote:
RE: Latest - again informal - note
Since we are just talking personal opinion I will be very forthright . . .

I am VERY disappointed/ somewhat ticked that fairness does not matter to you. If you are not willing to make a deal that even tries to be fair, I fear that no deal will be had. [Comment from Maniac: In that case: Angels here we come!]

. . this can be a LONG game and you don't seem to care about fostering a good relationship at all (you know the type of relationship where we might lend you a ship to interdict AI invaders etc). [Comment from Maniac: you know the type of relationship where you don't lie to each other about where you get techs or where you don't try to pretend you haven't met other factions yet.] If you would even try to meet me halfway we could probably help each other to great success but if you make no attempt to try to be fair, then I guess that means there is absolutely no consideration being given to us in an attempt to work together.

In our dealings, we have been looking for ANY sign that you folks wish to be good allies to us. We felt we had been nice to you when we tossed in 20 ec on the first tech deal -- it unbalanced the deal but we did it to make friends . . . The ind auto deal was also in your favor given that we have not been paid for it yet and now you seek yet another deal in your favor. ALL we are asking is ONE fair deal. [Comment from Maniac: They lie to us on how they got IndBase, they still get 40 credits extra and then they call the IndAut deal in our favour.]

LAST PITCH

The other way to think about this cost is that giving us a tech costs you nothing and bumps us both up the tech tree where more trades are possible. We have the ability to gain other techs that you do not have yet-- some that you would definitely want ( how about we could give you ethical calc to allow you to jump to Genesplicing and return it-- these are the possibilities) .. . playing fair now means a better relationship and more deals down the road. Going cutthroat on this deal means you can expect a similar stance from us in the future. [Well duh! Why didn't you act to this knowledge in the IndAut deal?]

. . . paying energy credits means you no longer have these energy credits or the rushed facility/unit they will bring. If we don't make this deal with you, you still owe us a tech and if that ends up being HEC or even ecological engineering , it would not upset me in the least. Whether we trade you doc flex or not, we get your next tech . . .

AS for the other tech you have available for immediate trade, we don't really want them!! I could have traded for either app pys and/or biogentics at any time for pittances. BUT, If we wanted them I would have tried to trade with you for them, again in the interests of sharing benefits with a supposed ally and friend.

You asked the basis of the military threat and its essentially AI close to us with doc flex. Weapons not armour is the best way to go with ships and seabases and we just want to have some protection.

Officially-- I will only post your requirement that any deal involve doc flex now ( or we are back to the energy which I see is now at 90 energy) and see what the faction decides . . . If I posted your fairness comment, I think that would kill this deal. I will also check whether HEC makes people happy. There may still be a deal here . . .

Personally I am totally frustrated by this negotiation . . . I have played maybe 40 PBEMS and congratulations, you are the most difficult negotiator I have faced [I learned it from the best.]
Btw, what am I supposed to answer to this PM?? Flubber takes the moral high ground, saying he has been trying to be a good ally etcetera. But if I tell him our side of the story, that they can be accused of the same things they are accusing us of, relations are going to deteriorate even more.

Last edited by Maniac; September 23, 2003 at 16:22.
Old September 23, 2003, 17:09   #228
Nubclear

Relations between CyCon and PEACE are gone. I think that much is apparent.
Old September 23, 2003, 19:19   #229
Maniac

Hi Flubber,

Quote:
I am VERY disappointed/ somewhat ticked that fairness does not matter to you. If you are not willing to make a deal that even tries to be fair, I fear that no deal will be had.
That may not have been the best comment I ever made. I simply wanted to indicate that, since we can buy from three parties, it's normal the price for us should decrease, even though - if one is not using market logic - this could be regarded as unfair.

Quote:
. . this can be a LONG game and you don't seem to care about fostering a good relationship at all
Quote:
In our dealings, we have been looking for ANY sign that you folks wish to be good allies to us.
Quote:
but we did it to make friends . . .
I'm glad to hear you say you want to be friends. We of the Consciousness certainly want that too!!!!!! It's just that, after you refused to trade DocFlex in our first deal and especially after you asked three techs and 100 ec in the second deal, several cyborgs of the Consciousness got the feeling that it was a majority of PEACE that wasn't interesting in fostering a good relationship, bur rather in "going cutthroat".

Quote:
(you know the type of relationship where we might lend you a ship to interdict AI invaders etc).
Do you think we might face an AI invasion soon? Anyway, be assured that if you face an AI invasion that I - if I would be External Affairs Function at that time - will plead before the Collective to send assistance!

Quote:
We felt we had been nice to you when we tossed in 20 ec on the first tech deal -- it unbalanced the deal
Please also consider our point of view. We gave you PlaNets and the ability to build probe foils. But you were unwilling to give us DocFlex and thus the same ability to build probe foils. We felt the deal was unfair thus asked 20 ec compensation.

Quote:
The ind auto deal was also in your favor given that we have not been paid for it yet
But you did get 40 credits more for it. This was considered unfair at the moment, though upon looking back, it is good compensation for the time you have to wait to get a second tech back.

Quote:
now you seek yet another deal in your favor.
As I have explained above, from the CyCon point of view the previous two deals are considered unfair to us, just like you find they are unfair to you.

But I would suggest we stop repeating the old arguments. It isn't going to help improve relations, rather the opposite.

Quote:
The other way to think about this cost is that giving us a tech costs you nothing and bumps us both up the tech tree where more trades are possible. . . . paying energy credits means you no longer have these energy credits or the rushed facility/unit they will bring.
I agree with your analysis. I definitely prefer exchanging techs over paying credits, but apparently a majority of PEACE seems unwilling to trade DocFlex right now.

Quote:
Personally I am totally frustrated by this negotiation . . . I have played maybe 40 PBEMS and congratulations, you are the most difficult negotiator I have faced
Actually I was thinking the same thing about PEACE negotiators.

Quote:
If we take cash for doc flex, will you continue down the HEC road to pay us back from the prior deal ?
I've just created a poll to ask that exact question. Personally I am inclined to say yes if that will help the prosperity of PEACE and the success of this deal.

Greetings,

Maniac
Old September 23, 2003, 20:25   #230
Maniac

Since the PEACE are so insisting on getting paid right away, how about the following idea? They give us DocFlex right now, we lend them 75 or 80 credits right now. When we research HEC in a few years, we give them HEC and they give us our 75-80 credits back. AFAIK we only need to hurry two formers in the next few years, so there's no urgent need for the 75-80 credits.
Old September 24, 2003, 10:44   #231
Phenix
Warlord

seems like a nice proposal, we use the EC's kinda as a mortage
Old September 24, 2003, 19:41   #232
Maniac

PMs are flooding in and out. Here are the two last official messages:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

I wanted to notify you that - in case you were still doubting that - I have confirmed we can buy DocFlex from the AI this turn.

But that is not the main reason for my communiqué. Since many PEACE members attach great importance to getting paid immediately, I was thinking of the following arrangement: We loan you / pay you in mortgage 75 credits this turn. You give us DocFlex in return this turn. In six year, we will probably research High Energy Chemistry. We then give you HEC, and in return you give us our 75 credits back. The end result is the same, but you have been paid immediately for the trade, which IMHO increases the fairness of this deal, and proves our good will.

I hope you will respond in the next 36 hours whether you want to trade or not, as our turn is waiting for us to be played.

In response to your previous PM:

Quote:
AS for intelligence . . . if we can get over our mutual pigheadedness and start acting like allies, sharing of intelligence free of charge would be something I would see as normal and natural.
If you want to know something from our intelligence services, just ask. AFAIK we have nothing to hide.

Greetings,

Maniac
Response from Flubber:

Quote:
Re: Umpteenth Official note plus one
In this loan/loan deal, I presume you would still owe us the tech from the ind auto deal ?? If so I will mention it as an additiional part of our poll.

I have a poll going on you latest offer. Selling to you outright for 90 ec ( your highest offer IIRC) is in a slight lead as long as you get HEC to us ( or nonlinear . . . we can dream) at the completion of your current research . .. There is a feeling that we want to get paid up for old deals and start fresh

I think it is the old deal that is still coloring everyone's feeling and the sooner we get paid for that the better.

I had the poll set to go for 2 days ( did not know the turn was with you) but I will get an answer to you ASAP. Making some sort of deal is leading over telling you to go away so I think its pretty clear we would be sending you Doc flex on our next turn
Old September 25, 2003, 02:33   #233
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Quote:
I wanted to notify you that - in case you were still doubting that - I have confirmed we can buy DocFlex from the AI this turn.
I assume that the current turn has been opened, and you have contacted Roze or Miriam and been offered DocFlex for 100 ec's, and are holding it saved at that point pending the PEACE reply?

Or has a parallel (or old) turn been played with the AI being contacted to elicit this information?

I trust the former is the case

G.
Old September 25, 2003, 07:30   #234
Maniac

I opened the current turn and contacted the Angels. I asked to exchange technologies and they offered DocFlex. Because, as far as I know (Is that possible???), you cannot save in the middle of negotiations, I had to refuse their offer. After that I saved. Probably PEACE will sell, if not the Believers will want to sell as well, or I can contact the Angels again, so hopefully my refusal won't be a problem.

But personally I think the playing-ahead rules for contacting AIs should be relaxed. When negotiating with humans you can ask tentative questions and switch between several different human negotiations at once. With the AI that isn't possible. AFAIK you can't ask what they're willing to offer, say "I'll get back to you in a minute." and contact another faction in the meanwhile, while that would be very realistic. So personally I would prefer to allow contacting AIs on parallel (not old) turns. (Also because you can't control this "cheat" and because one ACDG member has already admitted to me he has done it.)

Oh yes, my latest PM:

Hi Flubber,

Of course we still owe you the tech of IndAut!

If in the next 12 hours you haven't made a decision yet, is it ok if I offer 75 credits in the diplobox? You would then offer DocFlex and accept the deal, so we would get DocFlex in MY 2138. Depending on whether you choose the tech or the cash, we can then give you 15 more credits the next turn if necessary.

Greetings,

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; September 25, 2003 at 07:52.
Old September 25, 2003, 08:51   #235
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:53.
Old September 25, 2003, 09:01   #236
Maniac

Thanks.
Old September 25, 2003, 11:47   #237
Phenix
Warlord

Good work there Maniac seems the deal is finally getting round
Old September 28, 2003, 16:35   #238
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I second that, good work Maniac I think there is more to be gained, certainly in terms of fun, from attacking PEACE somepoint soon. If it's HEC for Doc Flex, then do it, but I'd rather a non-military tech. Non Math isn't on the table at all. IIRC, thats the situation? Sounds good to me, though I'd prefer the 90Ec, then we can kick the **** out of them

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 29, 2003, 13:37   #239
Maniac

Mailed to me directly by Hercules:

Quote:
Greetings Prime Function Mani -Alpha -3.

Ambassador Flubber has asked me to contact you due his being off line for the next 8 hours.

In fact it was because of his work internet access having gone awol that we had a small breakdown in communications. First I was going to be absent for 36 hours approx so I asked for views and comments by 13.00 deadline on Friday 26th so that I could play the turn, otherwise it would be delayed for that 36 hr period of time.

I received some feedback from fellow pirates on moves and builds but nothing from Flubber.

We had initiated a poll earlier on the choices including a straight ecs for tech deal and the tech for tech deal. It was fairly even, at the time. However before the poll was closed Flubber indicated in the thread that you had been in contact re a new 75ec offer/loan deal.

If his connection had not failed, no doubt he would have elaborated on the specifics but as it was it created a degree of uncertainty as to what had been concluded. Personally I thought Flubber was hammering out a deal in the background.

This combination of factors meant I was unsure what the offer was. and I also ran out of time. As you know well I usually am prepared to delay a little, even if it does annoy the Hive and others.

So my apologies if this delay has caused further confusion.

Also I would not be contacting you directly if not for Ambassador Flubbers suggestion I contact due to his present unavailability.

What I can say is the Doc:Flex is here sitting ready to go to you this turn. We just need to finalise agreement. Ambassador Flubber mentioned that the 75 ecs were for us to make use off, until HEC was delivered and then would be returned to you. Is that a correct understanding.

Cap'n Hercules
Very odd... Despite being online several times the last few days, only now they start communicating again, when the turn is again in our camp. My conviction is growing that they are only trying to prevent us from getting DocFlex in the near future. So I would propose that we still buy DocFlex from the Angels.
Is it ok if I just send a message back saying:

Quote:
Hi Captain Hercules,

Due to your silence of the last few days we assumed the deal was off. I'm afraid we have already bought DocFlex from the AI.

Greetings,

Mani Alpha-3
External Affairs Function of the Cybernetic Consciousness
Old September 29, 2003, 13:50   #240
Phenix
Warlord

Though their explication is a bit weird, it seems unlikely to me that Peace would go through this trouble just to stall us 1 more turn from getting Doc:Flex.

IMHO I would try to trade for one more turn. If they ARE trying a stalling manoevre , they'll want to take more time and we can trade with the AI next turn.

Let's give Peace one last chance