Old June 26, 2003, 19:07   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This troll was slow going up the kill, but now it's like a speeding bullet
Old June 26, 2003, 19:11   #32
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Ok, let's see if I can speak for you accurately.

Equal opportunity is something which is impossible to achieve. Even if it was a possibility, success would be determined strictly by ability as skywalker has stated. If success was determined strictly by ability it doesn't follow that the losers would benefit from the system. Communism is a system that recognizes that opportunity can not be equal and that the govt should benefit everyone and treat everyone fairly.
No, communism is a goverment that the government should benefit everyone and treat everyone equally, which is stupid. Discrimination on basis of ability is perfectly acceptable... last time I checked, at least.

Also, equal opportunity is NOT impossible to achieve. As long as there is no discrimination on basis of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or nationality, you have equal opportunity.
Old June 26, 2003, 19:17   #33
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
No, communism is a goverment that the government should benefit everyone and treat everyone equally
Nope, you got it right about the equal opportunity in the last post, but you just pulled this out of your ass. I won't even read the rest of the post.
Old June 26, 2003, 19:28   #34
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I disagree with Bodd's premise. To me equal opportunity means access to a decent education for all, unbiased hiring and unbiased financial opportunities. I see utterly no advantage to leaving the working classes undereducated. I work a lot with lower income people and believe me, my job is a lot easier when I deal with rational, reasonably educated people.
Old June 26, 2003, 19:32   #35
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Nope, you got it right about the equal opportunity in the last post, but you just pulled this out of your ass. I won't even read the rest of the post.
No, I didn't "just pull it out of my ass". And, if you had read the rest of the post, you would find that it wasn't about communism anyways...
Old June 26, 2003, 20:47   #36
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
There is no such thing as equal opportunity, nor is it possible for there ever to be.
Actually, there is one way to reach pure equal opportunity, but I don't think anybody would want it.
Simply put all children in State-Run orphanages where they are attended truly equally by nurses following a strict bureaucratic code. Of course, the parents are not to see their kids, to make sure they cannot skew the opportunities.

Also being a big equal-opportunityist, I don't support this option, go figure
Old June 26, 2003, 20:55   #37
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Also, equal opportunity is NOT impossible to achieve. As long as there is no discrimination on basis of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or nationality, you have equal opportunity.
As long as parents raise their children (I suppose we all want it to stay so), they have a huge impact on their children's education, learning ability, values* etc. This means that richer, more educated or more integrated parents are more likely to give better opportunities to their children, to give them a better start in their life.

Of course that's appealing. And everybody wants his kids to be successful in life. But by doing so, parents create inequal opportunity. This explains why so many people remain in about the same social category as their parents (or slightly higher).

In a pure equal-opportunity system, people from poor and uneducated families would have it as easy becoming doctors as children of doctors. It is obviously not the case right now : it demands a huge motivation to rise to the top when you are starting at the bare bottom (I acknowledge it is possible). It takes much less motivation and effort if you are already starting high.
Old June 26, 2003, 21:09   #38
LulThyme

I agree with Drogue
in principle, positive discrimination is just as bad discrimination...
In practice, I would accept it in extreme cases (getting into university is extreme) but I believe its actually bad long term. For example helping racial minorities to get in university DIRECTLY (not because they are poor or whatever but just BECAUSE of their skin color) is like giving them an electric wheelchair. SUre its fun to play around with all the buttons, but its even harder to catch up the others once you've stayed on it too long.
For equality among sexes, will not be reached when 50% of bank employees are female (or male) whatever these ppl making the quotas think. Equality will be achieved when at all levels, sex is NOT a factor at all for these kind of decisions.

Old June 26, 2003, 21:22   #39
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
I guess people who never have kids are a bunch fo sueless freaks. After all, without children, man does nothing to strive to succeed. I mena, look at that Loser Alexander the great. He neevr ahd kids, and he amounted to nothing. What did he think he was doing anyway?
Biological warfare, genocide, mass slavery. Yep, Alexander was a standup guy.

Quote:
Thinking that people do it all for the children is an arguement that is absurd on it face. Many of the most ambitious and driven people on earth could give a **** about their kids and what happens to them, even while they are alive.
Yeah, we need more "**** the future, I'm in it for myself here and now, baby!" types. More people should emulate Addi and Uncle Joe, too - they were paragons of ambition and drive.
Old June 26, 2003, 21:46   #40
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 04:36
In terms of hiring and firing, as a private employer, one can hire who one wants. Ideally, it should be based on ability not race, but whether it is or not is down to the education and dispositions of that employer. If he chooses to hire only a certain demographic, then in his own private endeavor, that is his perogative.

Certainly in public institutions, under the control of the government, while I dont think equal opportunities in terms of employment should be staturatory, I think they shuold be encouraged and as a guideline, these insitutions should hire solely on the basis of ability.
Old June 26, 2003, 23:25   #41
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 23:36
i agree with bodds. i hope equal opportunities will never exist. only people of asian extraction should get good jobs. people of african, european, and american extraction can all do the grunt work and the labor with slave collars around their necks.
Old June 27, 2003, 00:16   #42
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

i dont understand Boddington... not even the most conservative americans would take a position like this. i know england was not founded on the idea of oppurtunity but still...
Old June 27, 2003, 00:25   #43
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:36
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Biological warfare, genocide, mass slavery. Yep, Alexander was a standup guy.
I would assume better from you MtG. The point Bodds makes is that people are only ambitious to give their kids a leg up. If they didn;t have such an ability, they would do nothing. This is obviously wrong.

Quote:
Yeah, we need more "**** the future, I'm in it for myself here and now, baby!" types. More people should emulate Addi and Uncle Joe, too - they were paragons of ambition and drive.
They are paragons of ambition and drive. Not of morality, but of ambition and drive, which are morally neutral things. Oh, and we do encourage selfishness and living for the today now a days.

You can't get on a moral high horse that does not currently exist here.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 27, 2003, 00:26   #44
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You ever wish Spink's parents had an abortion?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 27, 2003, 00:34   #45
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

i swore Spink as 'Stewart Spink' was a moderate liberal... now he's a crazy nut...

come on, boddingtons... I'm calling you a nut... me...
Old June 27, 2003, 00:40   #46
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
To me equal opportunity means access to a decent education for all, unbiased hiring and unbiased financial opportunities.
So the Democrats who've run big cities for decades as their private fiefdoms hiring political party hacks to run the empire don't really believe in equal opportunity?

Boddington's point is valid in one way, once "equal opportunity"
begins to detract from an incentive based system like "capitalism", it becomes a drag on success and innovation.
However, I doubt a committed parent will stop trying to give their kids advantages even if the state insists on trying to sabatoge those advantages with "equal opportunity" programs.
But for those who are arguing that equal opportunity refers only to certain things like education and jobs, how is that equal opportunity unless you outlaw all private and home schooling if those alternatives to the government schools are more effective at educating children? The education would still be unequal, therefore, "equal opportunity" is a fiction. Maybe we shouldn't read "equal opportunity" literally...
Old June 27, 2003, 00:46   #47
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
But for those who are arguing that equal opportunity refers only to certain things like education and jobs, how is that equal opportunity unless you outlaw all private and home schooling if those alternatives to the government schools are more effective at educating children? The education would still be unequal, therefore, "equal opportunity" is a fiction. Maybe we shouldn't read "equal opportunity" literally...
The idea is that of the government making possible, not making mandatory. Take universal health care. In countires with it, if you are sick, you still have to get yourself to it, its not like they force you to go to the hospital. Same here. Parents most certainly would have the ability to opt out of the opportunities given to them, as long as they could show that what they were doing was not hurting the child (like keeping him from school and not educating him at all). Besides, home schooling is not that much of an advantage once one gets to higher education, which pasrents can not do on their own, one becuase the individual is now a free adult, and two becuase they are not accredited teaching institutions.

The idea is to give the safety net, so that if you need it , it is there.
Old June 27, 2003, 00:51   #48
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

GePap:

you can get emergency medical attention in the US for free... just skip on the bill

and there's also clinics...
Old June 27, 2003, 00:55   #49
GePap
Emperor

And? Unless someone calls for the emergency, you don't get the help. Help is offered, it is not mandatory.
Old June 27, 2003, 00:56   #50
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
This troll was slow going up the kill, but now it's like a speeding bullet
i dont think bodd was trying to troll cause he's obviously not understanding what eq op is.
Old June 27, 2003, 01:00   #51
Berzerker
Emperor

GePap -
Quote:
The idea is that of the government making possible, not making mandatory.
Which is why equal opportunity is a fiction since the possibility cannot be realised for all unless we have the same education (and by extension, the same environment); therefore, private and home schooling must be done away with for equal opportunity to ostensibly exist.
Old June 27, 2003, 01:04   #52
GePap
Emperor

Oh please...

And equal rights do not exist either since rich people and poor people exist: so lets kill all of one of them!

You want totally equal opportunity? then not only must home schooling be done away with, but all the Kids must learn form the same single individual existing at the same point in space time for all eternity! No deviation from this most ever be allowed! All kids, today and tommorrow, and yesterday must all be made to inhabit the same very point in space time to insure utter and complete equality. Anything less means equality is impossible!

Give me a break. Your point is a triviality, as it were, an absurdity.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:03   #53
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Actually, there is one way to reach pure equal opportunity, but I don't think anybody would want it.
Simply put all children in State-Run orphanages where they are attended truly equally by nurses following a strict bureaucratic code. Of course, the parents are not to see their kids, to make sure they cannot skew the opportunities.

Also being a big equal-opportunityist, I don't support this option, go figure
Even in this case, shear physical differences could come into play in making sure opportunities are unequal. I suppose that this is the closest one can get to equal opportunity however.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 27, 2003, 03:06   #54
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
You ever wish Spink's parents had an abortion?
One more like that from you, or anyone, will get a week off.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:10   #55
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

I would assume better from you MtG. The point Bodds makes is that people are only ambitious to give their kids a leg up. If they didn;t have such an ability, they would do nothing. This is obviously wrong.
Of course it's wrong to presume a single motivator for anything. I was just poking at your crap example. Egostistical and otherwise pointless drive and ambition isn't really to be preferred over some motivation for a better future condition, though, is it?

Quote:
They are paragons of ambition and drive. Not of morality, but of ambition and drive, which are morally neutral things.
Ambition and drive without an appropriate object isn't a positive force.

Quote:
Oh, and we do encourage selfishness and living for the today now a days.
With great results in so many areas.

Quote:
Why would I bother?
Old June 27, 2003, 03:10   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:36
you know, I agree with Boddington's a lot of the time, but am afraid to admit it

I agree with his post completely. (though the thread title is wrong- what he is describing isn't equal opportunity- it is called socialism)
Old June 27, 2003, 03:12   #57
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
you know, I agree with Boddington's a lot of the time, but am afraid to admit it
That's frightening. Can you take something for that?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 27, 2003, 03:16   #58
Berzerker
Emperor

GePap -
Quote:
Oh please...
Let me guess, that was a rebuttal?

Quote:
And equal rights do not exist either since rich people and poor people exist: so lets kill all of one of them!
I want to kill people with less opportunity? Equal rights do exist, doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. A right is a legitimate, i.e., moral claim to act in accordance with the meaning of freedom.
If you're rich and I'm poor, how does that simple fact produce for me a lesser "right" to live than you?

Quote:
You want totally equal opportunity?
Nope, I'd settle for a little truth in advertising. If ya'll want "equal opportunity" and chastise those who don't care for your agenda, I think it only fair to point out you don't want equal opportunity either. You want certain steps taken to bring us closer to equal opportunity, so does that mean people - communists - who want to take even more steps are better, more moral people?

Quote:
then not only must home schooling be done away with, but all the Kids must learn form the same single individual existing at the same point in space time for all eternity!
Why? If the goal is "equal opportunity", we'd use whatever method was available to provide children with an equal education. I'm sure we can devise a system for ascertaining the abilities of all teachers, say, a series of tests, to make sure children don't get someone too smart or too stupid. Remember, it's a goal, so why stop reforming education when we have such obvious (not trivial) advantages for some children while the rest are dis-advantaged?

Quote:
All kids, today and tommorrow, and yesterday must all be made to inhabit the same very point in space time to insure utter and complete equality. Anything less means equality is impossible!
Hmm...is this where I insert some latin term like reducto absurdum?

Quote:
Give me a break. Your point is a triviality, as it were, an absurdity.
Funny, that was what I was just thinking. But you haven't answered my question. How will we achieve this equal opportunity if some of us get to give our kids advantages like private and home schooling? Doesn't seem trivial to me, and not to alot of liberals running public school systems. They are trying to outlaw home schooling already in certain states. Of course, they didn't introduce a law banning the practice, they are currently just trying to regulate it out of existence. If we see a voucher system, that'll be the way for liberals to ruin private schools too...

Last edited by Berzerker; June 27, 2003 at 03:27.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:16   #59
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:36
Quote:

They are paragons of ambition and drive. Not of morality, but of ambition and drive, which are morally neutral things. Oh, and we do encourage selfishness and living for the today now a days.

Let me put it to you bluntly. Men strive to succeed to get chicks, not for their kids. The more successful a man is, the better women he can get.

It's just that simple.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:48   #60
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i hope equal opportunities will never exist. only people of asian extraction should get good jobs. people of african, european, and american extraction can all do the grunt work and the labor with slave collars around their necks.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
come on, boddingtons... I'm calling you a nut... me...