Old July 2, 2003, 08:30   #31
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Barbs and no kings is just one component. I've had many good games where this occured. I'm talking more overall bad luck. Losing early combats. Watching opponents pop a hut the turn you discover it. All your early explorers discovering barbs with no movement points left. Having your first ship loaded with a settler and deffensive unit get killed by a barb ship out of the black the same turn it gets across the water you were hoping to settle. It's all the little things that add up.
Old July 4, 2003, 19:59   #32
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
well those are what seperate the great leaders from third world nations
Old July 11, 2003, 11:45   #33
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I love scenarios. I've been playing The Rise of Nations scenario a lot in the last few days. Its excellent. An age of discovery type scenario, extremely innovative. Makes it an entirely new game. I've just been playing it in SP though, it is designed for MP, so if anyone wants to I'd love to challenge someone.

Real maps are more fun for me than random ones. Sure you loose the fun of discovery, but it just feels right. The chinese are in china, the germans are in germany, americans are in america, all is right in the world. Everything is more ordered and historical, rather than playing on some bizarre Jackson Pollack map. If it is a quality map like Real Europe or my Real World map, then half the enjoyment is in the map itself.

The Rise of Nations scenario used a modified version of my map. Another reason it rocks. Anyone want to play me?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old July 11, 2003, 18:38   #34
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Kobayashi's Battefield Chess is also worth a look. Even if it takes a bit getting used to. It's completely done in the style of a classic wargame map (complete with all those little envelope units).

Personally i'm not sure that Civ2 is suited for this style of wargaming. A game like Xconq would be a better home for this (with it's 800x320=256.000 tiles hex sized monstermaps!). An example of what can be done there is Cast Iron Life - A World at War- a strategic wargame based on the Xconq engine. It's a world simulation from 1850-1950 starting during the american civil war. A WIP, but damn, it does look very impressive!

But hey, the end result in Civ2 is impressive as well!

Check out fortress konigsberg
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...=&pagenumber=1
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer