View Poll Results: How important is the space program to you (either Russian, Chinese, European, or US)
there is nothing more important 8 17.78%
extremely important 16 35.56%
very important 11 24.44%
moderately important 5 11.11%
not very important 2 4.44%
not important at all 3 6.67%
the money can be spent on genetically modifying banana trees 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2003, 02:45   #31
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think some of you are too European in your thinking.

You can't just go somewhere else when you run out of room like in Europe.

It just isn't possible.

We must regulate ourselves.

I am willing to stifle economic growth a bit for better environmental policies.

While I'm not prepared to give up my personal vehicle- I am willing to drive a vehicle with extremely high gas mileage. I have no problem giving up acceleration and distance without refueling capabilities. Who needs to go from 0-60 in under 10 seconds anyways?
Old June 28, 2003, 02:46   #32
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 23:40
I dunno, I'm with Diss, it's cool and all, but not a big deal.
Old June 28, 2003, 03:04   #33
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
They aren't mutually exclusive Dissident. We can develop more environmentally friendly practices WHILE funding the space program.

Couldn't agree more. Dissident, you are assuming that govts actually have the power to save the environment. THEY DON'T... not without co-operation from the consumers, ie all of us. Only consumer choice is going to have an effect on the environment.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
And this thread is based on the fact that I feel faster than light travel is impossible- thus making it impossilbe to reach other solar systems with earth like planets. And the fact that long trips in space are not healthy for humans- psychologically. Unless we can somehow find ways to prevent humans from going insane and stir crazy.
Just because you can't see it and I can't see it doesn't mean it's impossible. They throught flying over the Atlantic was hogwash till a very short time ago, let alone space travel.

As for long periods in space, this is probably a damn good reason to keep the programme going. A big problem is getting enough exercise to maintain muscles and calcium absorbtion - so maybe the answer is... sex.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather jump in the sack than sit astride an exercise bike for hours on end. There is at least one research organisation whose goal is to research this more closely...
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 28, 2003, 03:07   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:40
I mean pyschological.

You should read some stories about people on long ship voyages who got stranded.

There was some talk that the collision of the mir space station and the capsule attempting to dock to it was a result of the cosmonaut spending so much time in space alone that he was under a huge amount of stress, and could not focus properly to guide the capsule onto the docking ring.

and you can't expect them to have sex. Most astronauts are married- and not to each other.
Old June 28, 2003, 07:18   #35
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 05:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
cut military spending?

realy world folks. Try to stay with us. There are millions of people that want americans dead.

We should protect ourselves.
For some reason I don't think it would be a good idea to go into that discussion...it's BS.

Quote:
And this thread is based on the fact that I feel faster than light travel is impossible- thus making it impossilbe to reach other solar systems with earth like planets. And the fact that long trips in space are not healthy for humans- psychologically. Unless we can somehow find ways to prevent humans from going insane and stir crazy.
*for those who stay on earth a sub-lightspeed vehicle might be on it's way 500 years, but for the crew onboard the trip could just take 5 months...it all depends on fast they go.
*also a craft to go explore an other solarsystem will have more then 5 ppl on board (maybe a few hundered)
Quote:
and you can't expect them to have sex. Most astronauts are married- and not to each other.
* in light of the previous 2 arguments : if such expeditions are done they will consist out of couples.
just because there is no real possibility of return.

(all the above is if we stay bound by the rules of special relativity, if somehow we could bend the rules far enough we might be able to do weekend trips to planets circling eg Alpha Cantauri A)

Shade
Old June 28, 2003, 07:26   #36
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
There might be a beter solution==> cut military funding all over the world in half and use the other half for scientific research(both to get us in space and of this rock, and make life here beter)
Heck, even a 1/4 reduction in the US budget to be transmitted into Space and enviroment would do.
Old June 28, 2003, 08:03   #37
CICSMaster

I got a better idea.

Turn over space to the US Military and give them the mission of "protecting and colonizing" it.

Old June 28, 2003, 08:08   #38
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
I have an even better idea.

Build the Space Elevator!