Old June 27, 2003, 11:45   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Au402 Dar3: 1000bc - 10ad
Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but needed a place to hang this sucker.
Old June 27, 2003, 11:59   #2
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 04:40
Nothing happened till after 1000bc

1 other city ->

Got Great Lighthouse
Lucked literature from a hut
Contact with Arabia, Egypt, France and Germany, ROP with all, beating all in tech by 2-4, not trading inter- continental contacts.
Built too many workers!!!
Need more librarys and Luxuaries.
Get wine, iron & horses soon
No war ffs, only elite is a galley
Will applease my blood lust after librarys.

AI seems to be struggling without contacts!!
Old June 27, 2003, 12:06   #3
vmxa1
Deity

This was last night, so I won't remember much.
Highlights none, all low lights so far.
Not much of a plan for this game, no real experience at huge or water filled maps. Not sure what to make of tech changes either.
Plan one was to try to get a free settler and get to Map Making for the Lighthouse.
Zero for two on those.
No settler, missed the lighthouse by a few turns. I could not get much of a prebuild going as I had no other wonders to use.
Shield production is pathetic, some of it my fault as I was tardy on making workers.
I had not quite learned Lit when the Germans built Great Lib. A bunch of the other early wonders came in for others about this time.
I switched to Harbor to salavage some of the shields.
Can you say "you got your troubles, I got mine".
Some headway, I have cities up all over the homeland.
Founded OXford on the horses in 350BC. It willbe a long time before I can get a harbor there.
Founded NewCastle on the island east of me as well.
This one has grapes, which I will need. It better have some Iron or I am in big trouble. I maybe in some trouble there as I would expect an uprising soon.
I am trying to get spears and settlers out to it to expand, but I need a few libs.
Contact was made with Arabia around 20BC and Egypt is in sight.
They are about the same in tech, but my culture stinks.
I was not able to get any early Temples.
I need a new plan or I will be doomed, I suspect.
Culture will be hard as I will have no early wonders and was late to get temples. Libs will not be coming in quickly as most cities have very poor tiles and I am behind on workers. Not to mention they are slow.
Conquest is out, Domination seem shaking. Culture will be tough unless I can bust out Cleo.
Space race seems unlikely with the hard road to research and my poor shield yielding capacity.
I never even try to be a diplomate, maybe I can learn.
IOW this could be a long hard loss.
Good news is I doubt they will be invading my homeland as it is far from most and it will be easy to defend.
Old June 27, 2003, 12:08   #4
vmxa1
Deity

jim_steer what year is the shot from?
Old June 27, 2003, 12:12   #5
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

10ad
Old June 27, 2003, 12:31   #6
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Mind if I ask what difficulty level, jim_steer?

In any case, looking good.

Dominae
Old June 27, 2003, 13:27   #7
jim_steer
Warlord

Only Monarchy I am afriad, was going to move up to emperor but forgot.
Old June 27, 2003, 16:13   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Ah the beauty of industriousness.
Old June 28, 2003, 17:33   #9
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Part 2 (see previous thread).

English scientists pressed on towards Map Making. English settlers expanded across the home island. English workers cleared and improved the land.

With the discovery of Map Making, York converted its project to the Great Lighthouse. Most coastal cities converted their projects to harbors and then galleys. The Queen has cautiously optimistic regarding her chances at securing the wonder - but with the very early Pyramids, she worried at the back of her mind that other nations were in far better positions and far more advanced than England. The Lighthouse still needed 10 or 15 turns before it would be complete.

ELizabeth pondered her next move. The only technologies the English knew were POttery, Alphabet, Masonry, Writing, and Map Making. Many of the early techs were available in 4 turns of research. Still more were available in less than 10 turns. But Elizabeth decided instead to push on at highest speed toward te creation of an English Republic. Getting out from under the penalties of Despotism would be a large boon to the empire, and since Elizabeth was not using very many military police to keep her subjects content, theone principle advantage of English despotism was under utilized in any event. Philosophy and Code of Laws were researched, followed by The Republic, all at as high a rate as the Queen could stand (subject to the luxury slider needs).

By 550 BC the home island had been fully settled, including a military camp in the midst of the vast desert. The Great Lighthouse would be completed the following turn, and thereafter English galleys would begin their exploration. (screenshot below).

And then the Queen caught her breath and swore. She had completely neglected to take into account that the completion of the Great Lighthouse would trigger an English Golden Age. Arrgh! But, as she calmed, she realized that though embarassing, she wouldn't have done it any other way had she been on her game. She expected the GL to be so powerful in this world that it was simply not an option to risk losing it to another civilization. Damn the despotic GA, full speed ahead!

The English Golden Age contributed to a faster than could be hoped for march towards the Republic. The GA began with one turn to go on Code of Laws, followed by a 6-pace on Philosophy, followed by an 18-turn pace on the Republic. The Queen could enjoy her Golden Age and come out of it shortly before a switch to Republic.

English galleys began their first tentative steps towards the wider world. Soon enough, English sailors had discovered a larghish landmass to the east, and a small island to the north. Settlers scrambled for galleys. And then a strange thing happened. An English galley continued north from the small island, venturing into the dangerous oceans.

I actually did not intend to make a suicide run. I was playing on my home desktop rather than my usual laptop - the desktop doesn't have my graphics mod installed (Snoopy's graphics) and I was unused to stock Civ 3 graphics after so long playing Snoopy's. I didn't notice that I had passed three tiles into the ocean until the next turn when I wanted to know how much more "sea" I had available. "What the heck," I thought, "I survivied one turn and I have a bunch of galleys coming online, let's go another turn and see what's out there." I survivied a second turn in the ocean without sight of land and veered farther west to cover more ground. End result is that I suicided my way to America.

The brave galley survivied and reached safer coastal waters in 250 BC to spy an American settlement amidst thick jungles. Elizabeth introduced herself to Abraham Lincoln. The Americans had discovered numerous interesting technologies, but still hadn't discovered Alphabet. The Queen traded knowledge of the Alphabet for knowledge of Bronze Working, perhaps another tech, and an American territory map.

Only a few years later, English galleys to the east discovered both a second small, uninhabited island, and two new civiizations, the Arabs and the Egyptians. Like the Americans, the two eastern civilizations had knowledge of many interesting technologies, but neither had discovered Writing -- this meant that Elizabeth controlled some very valuable technologies which would be highly prized in trade.

English embassies were established in the faraway lands, and then the Queen set out upon her commercial pursuits, trading for the technologies that English scientists had bypassed in their rush to Republic. A series of trades (detailed in the screenshot below) brought knowledge of Iron Working, Ceremonial Burial, Warrior Code, The Wheel, Mysticism, Mathematics, Horseback Riding, and maps of the world, all in exhange for Writing and a few gold pieces. The Queen refused to trade any English maps. At the conclusion of the trading summit of 190 BC, the English had leaped forward in technology advancement, and still possessed three (soon to be four) expensive technologies that her foes did not (CoL, Phil, MM, Republic).

I traded first to America since it was isolated, taking all of the least expensive techs that I could. The slightly more advanced eastern powers came next, taking higher level techs. The essentially unplanned beeline for Republic worker out very well, since I had a large tech lead over known civs and was in a good position to extend the lead.

The Queen eyed Arab and Egyptian lands as possible English colonies. But their lands were as bleak as Englands own, and they didn't even have any new and interesting luxury resources which would be so welcome. English galleys had spotted wild vineyards on teir trip east, buth the whole of Arabia and Egypt were without luxuries.

By 30 BC, English galleys had traveled up the coast of Egypt pursuant to a Right of Passage, and discovered both a German galley and a French settlement. The Germans were the more advanced of the two, knowing POlytheism but neither Code of Laws nor Philosophy (IIRC). Elizabeth had been proud of her exclusive holdings of a total of 6 ge sources -- but that paled in comparison to Bismark's control of 20! ivory sources.

The sailors who had discovered America cirumnavigated the American island and managed to make contact with Caesar of Rome. Rome was more advanced than England, possessing (IIRC) both Currency and Polytheism, lacking only the government technologies and Construction among the ancient age technologies.

By 10 BC (enlarged minimap below) the Queen had traded successfully for territory maps from all known civlizations while refusing to trade her own maps -- England enjoyed an unparalleled view of the world.

Shortly after the calendar reversed itself and began counting forward, Elizabeth instituted a revolution and was extremely happy to learn that the English anarchy would last only one turn!

Anarchy lengths during revolutions include a random variable and a variable determined based upon empire size. The small size of our empire, as measured by the OCN and the lack of available land on an 80% archipelago map meant that I would almost certainly enjoy a very low anarchy - I expected anything from 1 to 3 turns and was pleased with the result, obviously.

The screenshot below is a snap at the English empire the turn before the GL is completed and England enters a GA. It also contains a minimap from 10 BC, and the series of rades made for ancient age techs.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	empire - gl 1 turn - 550 bc - compilation.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	48748  
Old June 29, 2003, 07:02   #10
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

An update on America’s nonmilitary civilization.

Our city spacing is virtually the same as Jim Steer's above, scary.

Right after the early game, as America concluded literature, Russia built the HG. They would prove to be the most advanced civ for another age at least.

Initial galleys found East Island and North Island, sources of iron and horses it would turn out. The galley that found East Island also went on to meet the Arabs, although it sunk two turns to the east of Arabia.

Countless suicide galleys have since sunk without finding new land.

Met Arabs in 370 BC followed by Egypt and executed a big trade for techs outside the Republic line. Got everything available and bout 200 gold.

250 BC and nobody else working on Great Library.

Looking at the Arab/Egyptian holdings, it is evident that the AI is having trouble building cities on dry turf.

150 BC Republic WITH NO ANARCHY!!

I decided to go 1 scientist and was running a 108 gold surplus.

We sent all our regular warriors by galley to North Island to disband and hurry the harbor in order to build horsemen. Meanwhile, building spears.

Russia builds the Great Lighthouse removing our fallback for the Great Library build.

We crank up the entertainment and enjoy some WLTP days. America is eighth in size at 90BC, or so we are told.

At this point, East Island is full and we abandon Washington, jumping the capital to the middle of the home island. All workers are over on East Island. Careful not to hook up iron.

Egypt and Arabs have been at war and are poor research trading partners.

Last edited by jshelr; June 29, 2003 at 07:24.
Old June 29, 2003, 08:31   #11
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
Emperor, Carthage

In 1000 BC we discovered literature. After that I researched pottery within 4 turns, map making in 24 turns, ceremonial in 4 turns, philosophy 8 turns, thereafter Code of Laws, researching at 80% and having 20% converted to luxuries.

I've found 5 more cities, one on the island in the North and have 'discovered' the little continent in the East.
The middle centered city of Rusicade later has to become my capitol.

The horror: first the Russian beat me to Great Lighthouse by two turns and later on the Zulu beat me to Great Library, again exactly by two turns !!!
It became a library instead, 315 shields wasted ...

I'm now researching Republic in 40 turns, and have almost settled my continent, a settling process much slowed due to not having researched pottery asap and wasting time on the lost wonder race.

No contacts yet, my scientists tell me I'm moderately advanced. Right now building libs, temples and harbors, babs have never played a major role, and now have lost their spawning opportunities on my home continent.

Times to progress now sometimes take 2 minutes !!!

Moving on ...

AJ

(on image you'll see how I got one more turn to finish GL, I didn't get it ... )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	48782  
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old June 29, 2003, 08:35   #12
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
My picturing art is not what it's supposed to be (using MS Paint, Win98), nevertheless a second picture, showing the centered Rusicade which has to become my capitol.

I'll be opening a thread on general forum about 'The Art of Picturing' for noobs, maybe you experts can give some advice ...

AJ
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	car2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	48783  
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old June 29, 2003, 15:25   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Give Irfanview a shot it is a free download. It captures and will resize to 800.
Old June 29, 2003, 23:23   #14
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
As I alluded to in my 1000 BC DAR, my expansion was about to take off.

925 BC: Sabratha
850 BC: Rusicade
825 BC: Oea
775 BC: Hadrumentum
750 BC: Cadiz
690 BC: Cirta
670 BC: Nora
550 BC: Rusaddir (northern island)
530 BC: Sulcis

And on the eastern island:
310 BC: Saldae
250 BC: Carthago Novo
50 BC: Malaca [Foreshadow] (which, with hills, mountains, cattle, and fish, became second only to Carthage as a wonder producer) [/Foreshadow]
50 BC: Gadez
10 BC: Calaris

That left only one future city site on the home island and one on the eastern island to be built in the future. Better, my swarm of industrious workers ran roads and irrigation south so quickly that most of the cities did not have to wait long after their founding.

And better news: the Carthaginians are firm believers in "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Our first attempt at the Great Lighthouse ended in disaster, but our second succeeded. With how evil Dominae was in not putting even one neighbor within safe galley range without the Great Lighthouse, that was the game-breaker. I was still a long way from winning, [Foreshadow] especially with the Ottomans sharing my world [/Foreshadow], but I had my most critical key.

Unfortunately, a bid for the Great Library was not so successful. Persia snagged that wonder in 90 BC, about four turns before I would have finished if I remember right. Carthage had to settle for the world's most expensive and elaborate regular library instead.

By the way, I'm playing on Emperor level.

As with my last DAR, the shot below is from my 230 AD save. I arranged the eastern island as an inset and blacked out the area where it really is, and also blacked out the site of a city I hadn't founded yet.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ad 230 showing ad 10.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	48828  
Old June 29, 2003, 23:26   #15
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

One other thing: My meeting with Arabia and Egypt let me catch up on the early ancient techs that I'd ignored in favor of Map Making, Literature, and the path to Republic.
Old June 29, 2003, 23:40   #16
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 20:40
Spain begins the 3rd DAR with some major changes. No longer would science poke along at 10% of the budget. Isabella would commit to 90% science with 3 gpt deficit spending in a bid to discover literature in 18 turns. Seville also switches pre-build granary construction to a galley to start the new exploration.

By 690bc Spain has control over the Mother Island and a wonderful little island to the North. Ironically Pamplona sits on an island with 3 volcanoes. Even more ironic is the fact that the game named it that. The expansion continues rather uneventfully.

Upper left – Spain claims the Northern Island

Upper right - I blame this navigation error on beer. Our 1st galley “the Valdez” was lost at sea.

Lower Left - I sacrifice a wheat resource for 2 fish and a whale.

Lower Right - Rapid Expansion of East Island. The warrior is guarding a settler on their journey. The galleys are transporting a warrior, settler combo.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mastercopy1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	48829  
Old June 29, 2003, 23:42   #17
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm up to 10AD, but need advice on what paint program does the best full screen re-sizing.

Being non-industrious, I have not gotten as far in terrain improvement. I'm seeing an awful lot of desert irrigation... is this the right thing to do, especially in the mid-desert, where a centrally placed city is also working floodplains? No desert mines?

/me thinks of Ben Hur... "Work, slave!!" Or Eddie... "Row, you bastards!!"

Seriously, especially once in republic, with the loss of food power (i.e., poprushing), shouldn't shields be a bit of a priority?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 29, 2003, 23:49   #18
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 20:40
10ad brings an end to the 3rd DAR for Spain. They are researching Republic at 100% science. They are close to finishing the Great Lighthouse. They are about to expand onto a 2nd major island, and have probably secured Iron on the other island (I still don’t have iron working so that just a guess, but hey who makes such a crappy island). The army consists of nothing but workers, warriors and galleys. I decided against a suicide mission to the Far East since I need at least two galleys to transport all those units to the next island. But more galleys are on the way so the Great Far East will be a focus of DAR4.

*** Players note on DAR vs. AAR ***

The breakup of AARs has one rather large advantage. As you play, post, and then read you realize a couple of things you need to do. The DAR lets you know where you are ahead and where you are behind at the time when you need the information the most. You can use this information to adjust your game before any mistakes turn into problems. I think this is a good addition to Apolyton University.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dar3image2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	48830  
Old June 30, 2003, 00:36   #19
vmxa1
Deity

I do not know about the best, but Irfanview works great for captures and resize. I have not played with PS yet, but I will soon.
Old June 30, 2003, 01:42   #20
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

A New Frontier
At the close of the last DAR I was almost finished researching map making and desiring to find a new continent. Well I got my wish. I finally found another continent and it was completely unsettled. Too bad it took me awhile to get there. There were around six or so barbarian galleys roaming my coasts from early on and they took out a few of my first galleys. I finally got them taken care of and started sending settlers, workers, and a few troops to this new island. I also settled the little mountain island north of my continent. In retrospect it wasn't a good idea. I was still a little ways from iron working when my settler landed there. I thought, "Oh yeah, several mountains and a hill, and could still be connected to the mainland early on with harbors...this is a perfect place for iron to show up in Dominae's warped sense of humor." No such luck. Sigh! (EDIT: Just read vmxa1's post about finding horses and realized that I'd already settled there before discovering the wheel.) I hadn't checked it because it's a slow building city. Guess it wasn't such a bad idea to settle there after all.

At least I finally found some iron...on the other continent that can't be directly connected to my main continent until navigation (EDIT: meant astronomy..thanks vmxa1) (more of Dominae's sense of humor I bet). No quick whole-realm warrior upgrades for me. And no horses on either continent (meaning no Conquistadores for my GA...gotta get some more wonders going). Oh well, at least I found one more luxury (and the hut on it gave me maps of the world...after I'd mapped the area already). On a bright spot, as of 10ad it should only take me 20 or so more turns to completely blanket my second continent. You can't really tell from the screen shot without looking closely, but I've also discovered where the next continent is, but lost my first galley to try the crossing. I have another one heading that way, but who knows if he'll make it. My Great Lighthouse is still several turns from completion so I have to hope for a good RNG result. My two settler/worker farms have truly been working around the clock and my city numbers have spiked quite a bit from the last DAR.

This has been the longest I've ever gone with no AI civ contact. I don't have a clue if I'm outresearching them or if I'm way behind in tech. If I ever do find some other civs I have some good trade bait techs and a lot of cash to catch up. I've been beelining for republic after getting a few four turn techs out of the way (so I could discover resources and build other things than just warriors). I will however probably take a short detour for literacy just in case my Great Lighthouse build falls through. Because of the map and the possible difficulties finding other civs I think Republic would suit me better than monarchy right now. And if I'm behind in tech it might help me catch up a bit easier.

Looking ahead, I hope to have contact with other civs very soon, and have my two continents fully settled by then. And then I can prepare for war! Thanks to the way this AU was set up the start has been necessarily builder, but my war tendencies need to be satisfied as well. I want a nice short war to establish a foothold on another continent (and hopefully find a horse or a luxury too) where I can then plot more mayhem and destruction.

Well now I get to read all the other DAR's in this particular thread. Can't wait to see some of them.

More to come later...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	spanish 10ad.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	48836  

Last edited by Rhothaerill; June 30, 2003 at 22:38.
Old June 30, 2003, 02:55   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Rhothaerill you don't need Nav to connect that island as it is sea tiles, no ocean. IIRC Astronomy will do the trick.
Old June 30, 2003, 03:44   #22
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'm up to 10AD, but need advice on what paint program does the best full screen re-sizing.

Being non-industrious, I have not gotten as far in terrain improvement. I'm seeing an awful lot of desert irrigation... is this the right thing to do, especially in the mid-desert, where a centrally placed city is also working floodplains? No desert mines?

* Theseus thinks of Ben Hur... "Work, slave!!" Or Eddie... "Row, you bastards!!"

Seriously, especially once in republic, with the loss of food power (i.e., poprushing), shouldn't shields be a bit of a priority?
Regarding the question of whether to irrigate or mine desert, the answer depends on how much desert you're stuck with. Irrigating and mining both run a food deficit in exchange for shields. Mined desert costs two food for two shields. Irrigated desert costs one food for one shield, so two irrigated deserts give you the same two shields in exchange for two food that one mined desrt would. But by working two irrigated desert tiles instead of one mined one, you have an extra laborer earning gold - two gold per turn before corrruption in Republic.

If you're in a situation where you don't want a town to grow past a certain size, or where you can mine a bunch of desert and still have plenty of food to go around (especially if there are also a lot of flood plains handy), mining makes sense. But if a town can afford the growth from a happiness perspective and is eventually going to hit zero food surplus either way, I'd rather irrigate and work more tiles for the extra gold.
Old June 30, 2003, 08:20   #23
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
650BC: Contact with Arabia!! At the end of trading, I've picked up 100+ gold, contact with the Egyptians, both territory maps, Bronze Working, Iron Working, Masonry, and the Wheel, and I still have a lead with Mapmaking!! I'm way behind on score, but I'm numero uno on population, GNP, and Literacy. Spend about 130 gold on embassies.

530BC: HBR from the hut on the SE island!!!

BTW, very devilish about the access to resources... it's making me settle other islands much earlier than I'd prefer... before I even settle Scandinavia!!

450BC: What a weird REX... Galleys, Settlers, Temples, and Harbors like crazy. Sell HBR to both Egypt and the Arabs for WM and 20 gold. The extra 40 gold lets me keep up the 0.9.1 pace... 3 turns to Republic.

410BC: I gift Egypt and the Arabs 10 gold each. 2 turns to Republic, the same whether at 0.9.1 or 2.7.1. I think that after I've sufficiently REXed, Copenhagen (which has only a granary), has gotta go.

390BC: SH*T!! D*MN!!! Lost my first galley, within site of a new AI civ's borders.

370BC: Built a new town on the north island. Researching Math in 5 turns at 0.8.1. Will change to anarchy after 5 more turns to get some stuff built (and take last advantage of poprushing... which I've done a bunch of, BTW), and research Math.

270BC: In the tech lead by both Republic and Math. OK, revolution (ends up being 3 turns in anarchy).

210BC: Damn, just suicided another Galley, trying to explore north of Horse Island. The French just completed the GLight... looks like Cleo got beat out, and she's got no back-up other than a Palace pre-build (does the AI do that?). Other GWs to date include: Pyramids / Mongols; Colossus / Persians; Oracle / Zulu.

150BC: The time has come... abandoned Camp Copenhagen.

70BC: Cleo starts the GLib... so I trade her Republic for Literature, WM, and 70 gold, Republic again to Abu for WM and 70 gold, and gift him Lit. I am 4 turns from Currency at 3.6.1. Home island is now fully populated.

50BC: Switch a number of the core cities to libraries... this is a very builder game so far. Maybe a mistake on Currency... I really need aquaducts.

30BC: Lux rate to 20%. Changed my mind, need one more city on the SE coast, between Farsund and Risor.

10AD: Got Currency, and changed all libraries to markets. WTF is going on with Egypt and Arabia? Not at war, no gold, slow-as-sh*t research... Everybody's very polite though.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	10ad.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	48862  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 30, 2003, 22:39   #24
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Rhothaerill you don't need Nav to connect that island as it is sea tiles, no ocean. IIRC Astronomy will do the trick.
Thanks. I meant astronomy, but apparently navigation came out.
Old July 1, 2003, 00:40   #25
vmxa1
Deity

Well at least you know the reports are being read.
Old July 1, 2003, 00:54   #26
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Yep, I've been reading each one of them. The beauty of the AU courses is that each person takes a different path toward the end. I try to play each DAR period before reading everyone else's, but there are a few things that I'm thinking, "shoot, why I didn't do that?"

And then there is the, "Why couldn't my galleys make it over to the Arab/Egypt land?" I had a few who couldn't survive the one turn in the ocean. It probably set me back several turns at the least.
Old July 1, 2003, 04:26   #27
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

FP's 10 AD DAR report

The screenshots tell their own story I suppose.

I'm playing as Carthage on Regent, which I guess is wimping out a bit, but this is my first AU course for a long time.
Got to ease myself back in.

I never usually play Island games, nor games above Standard map size so I thought that dropping down a difficulty level would be wise. I'm totally out of practice in Civ anyway: haven't played SP seriously in months and am getting thrashed in my PBEM games.
I made so many dumbass little mistakes in this game it just isn't funny.

Anyway, I moved the settler one tile East (as I see most people did) and immediately set about researching Writing at 40 turns and hoarding gold. The plan was to beeline for Map Making while building up a big treasury. Since this is Regent I figured I could easily grab the Great Lighthouse and Great Library. They'll come in handy, I expect.

I didn't get anything exciting from the Huts - no techs.

On the bright side I never had any problems with Barbs. After seeing how small the starting island was I decided not to set up training grounds for my warriors and instead colonize the whole island. I'll need those cities. Dominae's placing of whales, fish, jungle and desert all over the place naturally led me to build predominantly coastal cities.

My usual period of sub-optimal expansion ensued and before long I had several cities up and running, had cleared most of the jungle and had several galleys on standy to get out there and explore.

The Great Lighthouse completed in 350BC (and there was much rejoicing) and my navy set to work. The island to the east has some prime wonder-city terrain and I've got 1 city set up there already and will settle 2 more in the next couple of turns.

I didn't bother settling the little island to the north yet, but will get round to it eventually.

The first Civ I made contact with was the Arabs, who I found horrifically backwards in Tech - mostly through a combination of absolutely god awful terrain and AI stupidity without production advantages. I traded Code of Laws and Philosophy to them for several techs, contact with the Egyptians, their World Map and a chunk of gold. Nice.

The Egyptians were even worse off, and didn't have much to offer me in trade that I hadn't already got from the Arabs, but I did the best I could and got another tech, their WM and some more gold. Hmmm ... perhaps I should have played at Monarch.

There is an island off the west coast of the Arab/Egypt continent with some great terrain. I expect the corruption will be awful (although on a map this size it's hard to judge exactly), but it's an ideal base for a war against those Civs so I'm settling there (see pic) before they do. I assume this is what Dominae had in mind when he created this little island.

My sea-going 4-move galleys continued to explore and just on 10AD we discovered the slightly more advanced nations of France and Germany to the North East. I traded for as much as I could, including the vital World Maps (need good scouting info so I can find other Civs faster).

And that's about the current situation.

No Horses of course, but I'll have some Iron as soon as I can connect it up. I have no military as of yet, but will start building up a Sword/N.Merc/Catapult expeditionary force when I enter Republic and prepare for an attack on the Arabs. Republic will complete in 11 turns and the Great Library will finish in 8. After my period of Anarchy I think I'll get Mathematics (for the Cats) and use my huge stockpile of gold to rush improvements (especially Barracks) and units. I've got a big stash that should go long way.

However, I have a pretty big tech lead right now and so I'm not sure if going the GreatLib-and-low-research route will be very sensible. If I can get a different wonder instead I might change plan. Need to double-check the game before I decide.

Civ Summary

My homeland

Near Expansion

Far Expansion
Old July 3, 2003, 06:57   #28
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

1000BC – 10 AD

975BC: Map Making researched, Literature in 12 turns (max speed); 1’300 gold and counting.
950BC: Ah! Savages with barbed spears exist after all! Oh well, let’s destroy them and call them Barbarians for our history books.
850BC: Leptis Minor is founded. The Greeks finished the Colossus.
710BC: the Babylonians finished the Pyramids.
690BC: Literature researched; Glibrary in 21 turns (the gods willing); beelining for Republic via Philosophy in 10 turns. Sabratha is founded.
630BC: Rusicade is founded.
510BC: Philosophy researched, Code of Laws in 12 turns. Got the GREAT LIGHTHOUSE. Erin (at size 10) starts on 1 temple, 2 settlers and 1 galley.
307BC: Olea founded.
290BC: got the GREAT LIBRARY; Roxane (size 7, soon 8), starts on 1 temple and 2 settlers.
270BC: Code of Laws researched, Republic in 34 turns. Gold at 1’685.
70BC: Cirta founded.
10BC: I did something a bit crazy. I landed 1 settler on the hut E of the eastern small island and got WARRIOR CODE (pretty, but useless at this time).
10AD: Nora founded, our last city on this continent (see screenshot).

Some comments about the Third Age of the DAR/AAR:
I am glad the settlement of the home continent is completed. Now it’s ‘settler building’ for the island in the east and that bit of land in the north. Time also to start on temples and libraries. I hope my galleys will find some other civs, I am wondering how far ahead (or behind) I am. But with the Glibrary and Republic soon, I feel pretty confident (if the Civ3 gods don’t abandon me).
The argument between building the Pyramids and the GLibrary will rage for Ages to come, I know, but built is built.
PS: I had just ONE Barbarian to fight. Is that ‘normal’? (Not that I don’t mind, mind you).
Old July 3, 2003, 06:58   #29
Mountain Sage
King

Our expansion in 1000BC
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1000bcg.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	49035  
Old July 3, 2003, 06:59   #30
Mountain Sage
King

Our expansion in 10AD. Only 1 city far north to be built.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	10adg.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	49036