View Poll Results: What is our NEW research target to be in 2117
BioGenetics 1 20.00%
IndustrialBase 1 20.00%
AppliedPhysics 0 0%
ProgenPsych (may not be offered) 2 40.00%
PlanetaryNets (may not be offered) - Knowing (or being almost sure) that we are getting it from the CyCon 0 0%
PlanetaryNets (may not be offered) - Knowing or being afraid that we are NOT getting it from the CyCon 0 0%
EthicalCalc (may not be offered) 1 20.00%
One of us *&^$#'s forgot something, matey 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2003, 20:51   #1
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2117 New Tech Choice
Please consider the 8th (last) choice to be Doc:Loyalty (not that I'm recommending it with all this highlighting), as it was indeed forgotten by yours truly the pollster.

----------------------------------------

I know mateys that there is a lot on our plates already, paticularly the Vacillating Viceroys of Vociferocityy on our East who can't seem to finalize that they are trading us Planetary Nets and the build dicisions at our main bases - especially when we all know that what's really important is where the next cask is coming from, or maybe after that, where the next treasure chest is coming from, or maybe after that, . . . . , BUT, it is after 5 here and you'all gotta have something else to talk about at Deadman's Tavern besides *&&%^^y Cyborgs (unless 7 of 9 is on the negotiating team - or the other 8 of 9 for that matter, . . . , "Awwwkk Mateys! . . . 3 of 9 . . . Awwwkk! . . . off the port beam . . . Awwwkk!"), so how bout this for bar talk - what tech do we want to research next? (Yeah Right!!! - NOT - . . . they must really be watering the booze at Deadman's tonight if we're talking about research).

Anyway, I still think the offerings will look something like this:
-BioGenetics, IndustBase and AppliedPhysics should definitely be offered;
-at least 1 out of these 2 should not be offered - ProgenPsych, PlanetaryNets;
-EthicalCalc, enabled by SocialPsych,may or may not be offered; odds are it will be;
-Even if the CyCon were to give us PlanetaryNets already accepted and we took it before the tech choice (In fact, if they do, I wouldn't actually be taking it until after the tech choice so as to keep our tech costs down), it wouldn't lead to any new offerings since we don't have IndustrialEcon.

So here is the list again, with my 2 cents (do we need a smaller unit of currenty than a piece of eight? what would it be called?).
[list=1][*]BioGenetics --> The CyCon sound like they will have it soon if not already and it is not terribly useful for us;[*]IndustrialBase --> Seems like something that should be available for trade (or bypassable for the moment should we be able to get IndustrialEcon instead); maybe a second choice if offered a bad slate of techs, but see AppPhys below; Please note that Googlie makes a strong case for this tech in the post below; [*]AppliedPhysics --> This is one of the CyCons starting techs, so we don't really need to research it; however, if none of our desired techs are available, this choice might be a good second choice (as we may need to get it anyway if we are unable to jump straight to better weapons), since we could trade something to the CyCon for it and then start another tech; Note: I plan to roll over votes for ProgenPsych or EthicalCalc to this selection in the event either/both of those techs are not offered AND if PlanNets (which would be my first choice for the rollover) is also not offered.[*]ProgenPsych (may not be offered) --> it might be a good time for this one (after all, who else is likely to research it for us - we probably can't count on the AI, especially Miriam)[*]PlanetaryNets (may not be offered) - Knowing (or being almost sure) that we are getting it from the CyCon --> This puts off the choice 1 turn (or more if we get it next turn or later instead of this turn); it also scrambles the offerings, in this case IndustrialBase and SocialPsych will not be offered the next time and whatever, if any, of the other techs was withheld this time (i.e. ProgenPsych and/or EthicalCalc) will be offered for sure or if they were offered, may not be offered the next time. (it's not really that confusing, just too many nested depends ons - think of if as a fresh roll of the dice, or more properly a roll of a different set of also loaded dice). Note: I plan to roll over votes for ProgenPsych or EthicalCalc to this selection in the event either/both of those techs are not offered.[*]PlanetaryNets (may not be offered) - Knowing or being afraid that we are Not getting it from the CyCon --> If we find ourselves in this situation and this tech is offered, I suppose we probably want to research it so that if we do work something out with the Borg, we can get PlanNets and switch to something else and if we don't, we'll get it when the research is done at least.[*]EthicalCalc (may not be offered) --> It's a good tech, and is the prereq for 2 other good techs, so it is definitely desirable; IMhO, unless the CyCon negotiations go wrong, it is between this and ProgenPsych; I would probably give a slight nod to ProgenPsych as this tech will probably be a popular research target elsewhere and PP not.[*]Forgot Something? That would be [/u]Doc:Loyalty[/u] Consider it to be #8 if you want to vote for it (may not be offered) --> Fortunately for the Cuspidore (having forgotten it) it doesn't seem to be really desirable at the moment (although those of us who like cops and higher morale units will be wanting it afore long to be able to research IntelInteg[/list=1]

If you read through all that, you should get the impression that I think the choice is really between ProgenPsych and EthicalCalc and I give the nod to ProgenPsych because everyone knows pirates don't have ethics (a) we are the only ones likely to research PP and (b) others will probably get EC sooner than us and that may put us under pressure to make a bad deal for it as we approach completion of the research.

Googlie makes a good case for IndustrialBase in the post below, certainly enough to consider it as strongly as EthicalCalc, although for my money, I still think that ProgenPsych is indicated by the same logic as above - that others will be following that path and that we should be able to trade for those things, whereas ProgenPsych is unlikely to be researched by other human factions. Furthermore, the Googster's targets (Doc:Init and AdaptiveDoc) do not specifically require IndBase - in each case there is an intermediate tech (PolyMSWare and IndEcon/Auto) - we could trade for without necessarily having to hold IndBase. BTW, PolyMSWare is not a bad tech for us in its own right, with its probe morale boost.

Last edited by johndmuller; June 28, 2003 at 23:01.
Old June 28, 2003, 21:52   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
As the pirates, shouldn't your beelines be to either (or both) Doctrine Initiative (to trigger your faction bonus of a free naval yard in every base) or/and Adaptive Doctrine (for the marine detachment capability for capturing other naval vessels)?

These beelines would be (bold techs missing):

Doctrine Initiative
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Industrial Automation
Doctrine Flexibility
Planetary Networks
Industrial Economics
Industrial Base
Information Networks
Doctrine Mobility

Adaptive Doctrine
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Polymorphic Software
Industrial Base
Information Networks
Doctrine Flexibility
Doctrine Mobility

Note that I have hilighted Industrial Base
in blue as it is common to both beelines

Doesn't this make sense?

G.
Old June 29, 2003, 03:31   #3
johndmuller
King

Actual Choices Revealed - Time to decide
OK, I passed temporarily on the PlanNets from the CyCon and we got our Social Psych are now on the tech choice screen - the official choices are:[list=1][*]Ethical Calc[*]Progen Psych[*]Biogenetics[*]Industrial Base[*]Applied Physics[*]Doc:Loyalty[/list=1]
Notable in its absense is Planetary Nets; apparently that is the one to get withheld. That seems to indicate that Progen Psych currently our "joker" tech and may be offered every time until we get it (unless the "joker" selection process is more complicated than I'm expecting it to be). Also, since accepting PlanNets will advance the cycle one click (skipping the time where IndustrialBase woudl have been withheld again), the next choice after this will see Biogenetics and AppliedPhysics withheld again; I'm not sure at the moment where EthicalCalc and Doc:Loyalty fit into the cycle although I think that EthicalCalc could be the joker next if we get ProgenPsych first. If anyone wants to experiment with the tech offerings, here is a basic scenario with the right factions in the same order, etc. - it isn't enhanced (i.e. there are not so many specials around) and I didn't do much else either (beyond placing sets of initial units), but it works OK for what its worth (just try to remember to adjust the energy allocation on whatever factions you're playing yourself as they seem to default to all econ); feel free to improve the scenario too; as it happens, the CyCon are not too far away to the east, just like in our game, only much further away, if you want to go there and hook up.

Enough of that digression - the actual choices effectively remove options 4 and 5 in the poll and activate my threat to use Applied Physics as a stalling tactic to hope for a better selection (except that we already have the complete selection given that we have PlanNets in the bag, just waiting to be accepted), so that is a moot point. So aside from voting your choice of tech the only cute things to do are to select Biogenetics or Applied Physics, with the idea of getting them from the CyCon in the hopes of researching other techs for whatever reason.

There was the end of another message in the interfactional dialog box (either the end of whatever message was there last time or else the end of a lost part of the current message if Drogue doesn't know that more than 3 lines get truncated) - anyway, I can't look at it now as the turn is on the tech selection screen, from what I remember it just mentioned 2 techs, 1 of which was Industrial Base - it could have been a suggestion of what to research next or what not to research next, who knows?

It would be nice if everyone were to please weigh in on the choices; I don't really have strong opinions at the moment, but I think I am still leaning toward Progen Psych, so if you'all don't like that choice, you'd best vote. I imagine I will be going with some choice at around noon EDT Sunday, plus or minus an hour or two.
Old June 29, 2003, 06:34   #4
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I like BioGen, cause even if were not first I would still like to have Secret OtH Brain, because I would like to see some Trance sloops out there, making pod-popping that much more safe (as far as that is possible)
Old June 29, 2003, 12:34   #5
johndmuller
King

OK, the vote stands at ProgenPsych: 1 and BioGenetics: 1.

I'm going to cast my vote for ProgenPsych to break the tie and move on (if I voted for EticalCalc or IndustrialBase it would just create a 3 way tie, so it makes my decision easier). That will make the vote:
--> ProgenPsych: 2 and BioGenetics: 1.

Not a very healthy turnout, but I guess noone had a lot to say.

So, the choice has been made; subsequent votes are for practice only - comments are of course still welcome.

After I make that selection, I'll go about starting the play of the turn and post the status in our turn thread.
Old June 29, 2003, 14:42   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:45
Note-- we woll be getting plan nets on this turn-- as this was confirmed by drogue

-----------------------------------

RE: Re: Poll Results
I thank you for that. That is very good news. Indeed, with that in mind, I am authorised to trade with you We have currently a vote of 4 to 1 in favour of trading were we offered the Ec, presuming that a pact would be probable and desirable, but unable to be worked out details in time for this. This has met that IMO, and so I will be gifting you Plan Nets this turn

I am so glad this has come out to the right result, if I could experience emotions, I am sure I would be experiencing massibve relief and happiness now

- Prime Function Drogue Beta-8

-----------------------------------------------------
Old June 29, 2003, 14:49   #7
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Note the cycon do have biogen and have offred it to us repeatedly to try to get doc flex

My choice is either ethical calc ( for democracy and creches) or ind base( to head for ind auto)-- The hope is that we can trade and get ind base elswhere and then switch again without an increase in cost
Old June 29, 2003, 19:44   #8
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

I'm thinking Industrial Base, then ProgenPsych, then (if anything else is needed that), then the 3res armor tech, then start beelining to Adaptive Doctrine and then Doctrine Initiative, perhaps not in that order...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 29, 2003, 20:18   #9
johndmuller
King

Guys, the decision has already been made; Monday morning quarterbacking is fine, but we could use more advice at more appropriate times too, like in advance. For example, now would be good for addressing the Planned / NotPlanned issue.

Last edited by johndmuller; June 30, 2003 at 02:13.
Old July 1, 2003, 17:10   #10
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

I can't speak for everyone, but I could -not- get on 'Poly at _all _ yesterday

All the same, since you've already decided PP for this round (was leaning toward that myself for trading purposes...and it leads to 3-res ), I think taking G's advice and going for IndBase Next tech cycle would be good