View Poll Results: Switch to Planned?
Yes, ASAP 0 0%
Maybe, let's wait until the next two bases are founded and evaluate the impact again before deciding. 2 66.67%
Not in the near future 1 33.33%
XenoSeaCucumber 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29, 2003, 19:49   #1
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PLANNED or NOT PLANNED?
We now have the ability to go Planned. We seem to have plenty of Pieces of Eight, so we can afford the switch. The main downside is the efficiency hit, which will get us sooner or later, but perhaps not right too heavily away - perhaps we will be able to be in Democracy by then, cancelling out the negative efficiency of Planned. I added a choice for those who want to wait a couple of turns (until the two imminent new bases are up) to be able to scope out the effects in advance before deciding.

The efficiency hit is noticeable on our energy production - minus 1 at 'Rita and -2 at Liars, but no b-drones. We would lose 1 lab per turn at 'Rita (maybe an econ too when the second worker is restored) and 1 lab & 1 econ at Liar's. We would gain at present, about 1/2 each of mins & nuts per turn per base due to the industry & growth bonuses (this turn only, we would also get a windfall of about 5 mins (since the build box was filled with UnPlanned mins by the pod freebie). Most of the plusses and minuses would increase over time and they all have secondary effects (i.e. what you do with the extra pops and facs or lose out on due to the diminished energy). I don't believe that we are in danger of getting b-drones at this number of bases (even with the next 2 almost started, or the next few after that), but they definitely will come sooner than without planned (and could strike at inconvenient times/places), unless we cancel out the efficiency hit with Demo before getting to the b-drones.

The choices are:
[list=1][*]Switch to Planned ASAP[*]Wait until the next 2 bases are up before deciding[*]Don's switch to Planned in the near future[*]XenoSeaCucumber[/list=1]

If there is enough of a mandate for switching ASAP before the turn goes out, I will switch this turn and get the extra handful of mins, otherwise I will wait until next turn to implement our decision. In order to switch this turn, I suppose the mandate has to arrive probably within 4-6 hours (possibly till Noon EDT Monday, or even longer, but not definitely not beyond turn deadline time 8PM Monday).

I guess I'm in favor of doing it ASAP, although I was disappointed by the size of the energy hit and if I am wrong about the b-drones, we will have to rush a RecComm or 2, but I do think that problem is very unlikely with only 5 or 6 bases.

Last edited by johndmuller; June 29, 2003 at 19:54.
Old July 8, 2003, 15:46   #2
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes wait a turn or two
Old July 8, 2003, 16:28   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:48
As I noted in the turn thread for 2119 (after the two newest bases referred to in the poll), the impact on the Boot and Sealurk is complete - i.e. all their energy is consumed by inefficiency, a very disappointing effect. OTOH, we don't really need the PoE's part of that (and the industry benefit balances some of that out too), so it is only the impact on Labs that really matters. It is still a tough sell to go Planned, given all that lost energy and the resultant delay in completing research. It looks like we should prioritize EthicalCalc (for the Creches and/or Demo), either by trade or by researching it ourselves (possibly should have done it last time instead of ProgenPsych - we'll see if we have trouble getting it from someone else).

IIRC, all the other human players are doing some SE enhancement, but some factions (like the Hive) have easy choices; we seem to have a tough one.

I'm not going to push this any more for a while; if someone else wants to pick up the torch, fee free; I'll probably support it at least.
Old August 26, 2003, 23:48   #4
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Well maties I forgot to mention, we have another SE choice 'Wealth' . If you test the effect in the mid turn I have sent, you will see it has a beneficial effect on energy and on tech rate and industry. It has a few negatives like lower morale I think but over all I think it is well worth switching for 40 ecs.

It would be nice to have approval for it this turn but I guess it can wait until we have a fuller discussion and to poll it, unless there is a clear majority chorus posted here.

It might boost our faction vote because that is something we need to think about, coming close to the time, when we can call council for the Planetary Gov elections. We want to be a candidate don't we?
Old August 27, 2003, 09:27   #5
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

wealth is accepteble, but now way in h*ll that we will switch to FM
Old August 27, 2003, 21:42   #6
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 21:48
as long as you think we are reasonably secure you can go to wealth. But if for any reason anyone sees us as needing to exert our influence in a forcefull manner soon, put it off.
Old August 27, 2003, 22:42   #7
Hercules
Deity

Thanks for the backing. We have moved to a Wealth SE setting.
Old August 27, 2003, 23:08   #8
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark123jansen
wealth is accepteble, but now way in h*ll that we will switch to FM
thats a bit harsh now, isn't it ??

It is not prudent while we are in our exploration/pod popping phase, but once we have explored, our warships would be best used in and around our own waters--- I am talking quite a few years off but I NEVER am absolute in rejecting ANY SE choice
Old August 28, 2003, 09:26   #9
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

sorry, but I always try to play the game with an as high as possible planet rating, and FM just makes that impossible