Old July 1, 2003, 03:49   #1
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
7 days 6 nights all of which are foggy
You know your in for a good vacation, when the ticket you didn't have to pay for (thank Rah) gets bumped up from coach and 1 stopover to first class direct.

5 double gin&tonics later.. i think they were G&T's and a DareDevil movie, and i was in Chicago. But the food....ooooh the food...no first class meal for me....

Good ol Ming picked me up at O'Hare about 5 min too soon, but hey you can't win em all

Ming lives in a great house, all of you whom have been know what i am talking about, its a guys dream (the basement anyways) the rest is your well to do family home and as long as you ignore the freakish weather which seems to circulate the top floor your fine

The family was great, especially his youngest daughter whom was just adorably cute (she was only 7-9 i think)(thanks to all for letting us use their computers)

Berz drove up and arrived about 4 hours later, a tiny bit dusty IIRC. We did the liquor store thing, actually we did the liquor store thing alot .....

We watched some baseball , talked sports, drank MANY beers and ordered pizza...the infamous pizza i was always hearing about on friday nights... and yes, its damm good. We watched Ming moderate, and all i can say is 'leave this poor man alone with your stupid comments and complaints' What a horrible job policiing this place, i don't eveny this mans position.

Rah showed up after his family committments, for just "one more"...needless to say it was a late night.
Nicely trashed i got about 4 hours sleep, Ming kept me up with his late night stories while Berz was ouuuuut cold.

Hardly had i closed my eyes when Rah came downstairs at some sort of ungodly hour flicking on the very bright lights..... the term scurrying like cockroaches was mentioned....

Apparently we were off to play some stupid game where you hit a ball with a crooked stick and then hunt around looking for it, once you find it , YOU HIT IT AGAIN........not once but multiple times.
(little carlan there for you Berz)

The best part of golf of course , was the 6-8 shots of vodka and lemonade and driving the golf cart, b/c it certainly wasn't my golf game. Loosely translated, i suck big time. The mosquitos weren't that bad, i think i only had about 12 welts on my legs Camping , who needs camping? I can just golf, become an alcohalic, catch west nile, get high blood pressure and still smile when i make par, what other sport has so much to offer. Did i mention there was another 6-8 shots on the back nine followed by beers. There was the lettuce too..which ironically i didn't partake too much in...but i do know of another

We played four rounds of Golf in all, i did get better, but it was Berz whom stole the show and for his efforts won the putter of Ra! His treat, getting to play Kemper Lakes, home of a few of the major golf championships and one tough course. Can you say great lakes? Anyone whom has played Golden Tee golf will know this phrase "get the snorkel" or this one "It's in the beach!"

We did manage to get a ball game in.....and at 700 for two tickets, we had a major deal on our hands.......
Tickets were allegedly selling for 1500 a piece, again paid for by the Rah man. So the two of us went, ate footlong dogs and drank beers while munching peanuts.

The atmosphere was electric and the game was almost everything i could ask for. I was surrounded by yankee/bosox fans whom had come out to watch Clemens win his 300th.

It ended miserably as Erick Karros deposited the first pitch he saw off the piece of sh!t Jaun Acevado (later released) for a three run dinger. Moments earlier i called the result to a fellow yankee/clemens fan beside me.....and with a THWACK! all 40,000 fans new he had gone yard. We were in disbelief and no one knew at the time why clemens was pulled , but it didn't matter, the dream had been shattered.

We played some civ games. With only three puters, someone usually kibitz around, in fact we alternated this routine. A most enlightening experience and we all learned a few tricks or at the very least , some insight into how the other guy plays.
The whining on the other hand, was pure vintage twins. It got so bad one game that Rah just upped an quit on us...which lead to Ming complaining and myself giving out alot of restarts In all fairness, i was getting the chariots and decent land most often

We ate out or ordered in EVERY night and my lord did we eat. I was most impressed with Mings ability to eat. Its perfectly logical to order a cheeseburger platter on top of a hot roast beef sandwhich with mashed potatoes and gravy...so much so that i had to do it too... Or the large pizza and an order of ravioli along with a nice light guiness to wash it down with.......I don't recall tasting much food, just wolfing it down like the last supper.

There was an issue that arose. We ate some sort of brick of onions....and my lord did some people pay for it. The Diesel fumes were pretty raunchy both on and off the golf course. That didn't stop the onions from flowing from virtually every meal....coupled with the 15-25 beer a day habit and well.......someone was rotten
It was catchy....the disease inflicted us all .

It was alot of fun, the hospitality was unheralded (thanks to rah for payin and to ming for putting us up) it was great to meet JR and Berz.

sorry i couldn't get this posted earlier, but i was really busy, and sorry for the typos and poor verb tenses..but i am too tired to give a damm.

once again, thanks to the twins , and if any of you happen to be in chicago, i suggest you meet these two for a beer..... you won't leave without laughing and having a good time..... and thats what a vacation is all about
Old July 1, 2003, 04:43   #2
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 14:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The obviously high standard of hospitality you were offered, quite undeservedly in my opinion , is a very high compliment to Ming and Rah and their families

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old July 1, 2003, 08:24   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 23:51
The funny thing was when I mentioned the concept to my wife and daughter who responded, "you've never met them before, what if they're axe murderers"

Gas murderers maybe, but no axes.
Old July 1, 2003, 09:59   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yes... Foggy is a good way to put it. From what I remember, we had a great time.

I can see why War does so well with the ladies... he sure knows how to turn the charm on. With them staying at the house for a long period of time... and not really seeing much of my family while they were here... and partying most of the time... I thought I was going to be in big trouble with my wife the minute they left...
(I was using the old, once you are trouble... how much more trouble can you get into philosphy)

But no... War started off on the right foot by showing up with gifts for my wife... and always made sure to say a few kind words to her whenever he saw her. When they left, my wife could only say nice things about our friends, and was glad me and rah had a chance to meet some of our internet friends in person... Anybody that knows my wife would NOT expect this response from her, considering we partied into the wee hours of most mornings...

So thanks war for making the after party easier on me...

And my little one says to say hello... you obviously charmed her as well
Old July 1, 2003, 10:05   #5
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Anybody that knows my wife would NOT expect this response from her, considering we partied into the wee hours of most mornings...
I'll vouch for that
Old July 1, 2003, 14:56   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
The funny thing was when I mentioned the concept to my wife and daughter who responded, "you've never met them before, what if they're axe murderers"

Gas murderers maybe, but no axes.
I mentioned the same thing to my mother, and some friends and they were in shock. Couldn't believe i would get on a plan and go stay at someones house i never met before.

But people need to understand the situation....we've been gaming each other for the majority of the last 4-5 years and have spent over 1000 hours on icq together....

you get a sense for these sort of things.....and despite the onion attack......all was well...!

again if you come through Chicago and have even a few hours to kill, try to hook up with either/both of them....you won't be disappointed
Old July 1, 2003, 15:02   #7
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yep I figured there were probably a few months that I was chatting with you on ICQ phone (during games)more than I was talking with her face-to-face.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:08   #8
War4ever
Emperor

i still remember the first time i heard your voice over icq phone..... it was shocking......seeing you in person was not......

but all the barriers were down by the time i met you guys and berz.....

it was pretty easy for us all to get along
Old July 1, 2003, 15:16   #9
rah
lifer
Just another peon

.....and then we took you to a golf course.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:18   #10
War4ever
Emperor

hey , i was pretty calm on the golf course, its frustrating to make that shot and expect to make it again.....

like i told you before, i broke 14 or so tennis racquets in one year alone....but unlike golf, i am actually very good at tennis
Old July 1, 2003, 15:33   #11
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 04:51
Re: 7 days 6 nights all of which are foggy
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever

We did manage to get a ball game in.....and at 700 for two tickets, we had a major deal on our hands.......
Tickets were allegedly selling for 1500 a piece, again paid for by the Rah man. So the two of us went, ate footlong dogs and drank beers while munching peanuts.
Cripes, $700 for two tickets! Did you get your own VIP lounge or something?
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old July 1, 2003, 15:37   #12
rah
lifer
Just another peon

No, but we got to watch one hell of a game.
Which I will remember for quite a long time.
Kerry Wood's 50th win.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:37   #13
War4ever
Emperor

no....we were behind home plate...i was very vocal......lost my voice too...should have seen me after Acevado blew it .....

it the yanks first appearance in wrigley since like 1938 or something, rogerclemens first ever appearance there and he was going for win 300 and he may be one of only 2-3 people left in baseball who will ever reach this milestone.....

it was a chance to be a part of baseball history and legacy
Old July 1, 2003, 15:50   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah... it was baseball history... For Kerry Wood at least... Roger would have to wait for his next start
Old July 1, 2003, 15:51   #15
rah
lifer
Just another peon

It just shows that people will remember the same thing but for different reasons.

Cubs WIN.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:53   #16
War4ever
Emperor

Kerry got his 50th...Acevado was realeased, but i still think the majority of the fans wanted to see roger get his 300th
Old July 1, 2003, 15:56   #17
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yeah, truthfully, I did too. I just had to settle for Kerry's 50th. and being able to rub it in a bit. Priceless.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:59   #18
War4ever
Emperor

gr....... still it was an entertaining game either way...a couple of days later i was fine
Old July 1, 2003, 17:19   #19
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes very entertaining, but from the tone of your posts, it still looks like you're not quite fine
Old July 1, 2003, 17:24   #20
War4ever
Emperor

well, i am fine, but i get tired of him getting two no decisions on 300 wins...and a no decision when he pitches a one hitter...plus another no decision when he was winning...

he should be 12-5 this year, instead hes 8-5
Old July 1, 2003, 17:31   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I think that's Kerry Wood's record too.
Old July 1, 2003, 17:32   #22
War4ever
Emperor

yeah....welll pfffffffffft to you too
Old July 1, 2003, 17:59   #23
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Hey, he's had similiar problems with run support, blown saves, etc. just like Roger.
Old July 1, 2003, 18:12   #24
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 05:51
Funny account War.

If Rah's payin', I'm there.

My golf is improving, but probably still below par (sorry).

Old July 1, 2003, 18:32   #25
rah
lifer
Just another peon

The amount spent by RAH is related directly to Number of MP games played with.

You'll have to train yourself to stay up later to play.
Old July 1, 2003, 18:46   #26
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
So how many games will I have to play for you to pay for me to come over Rah ?

lets see quit working and play civ 7 days a week with Rah for X years and then fly over and die in a horible onion gas accident.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 2, 2003, 00:35   #27
War4ever
Emperor

i feel quite privileged to have met and spent so much "quality time" with these lads.......over the years.

Hydey, Rah can no longer play during the week
Old July 2, 2003, 08:09   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And I thought the airfare from Canada was bad.
Australia

And yes, now that my daughter has become a 15 year old chat/tease machine, my ability to play during the week has declined.
Old July 2, 2003, 09:00   #29
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Nice post, War4. (And good work charming Mrs. Ming. I know that was appreciated. )

It was great meeting you and Berz. Glad you had a good, "toasty" time.

Maybe next time I'll have a little more "hang time" available...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old July 2, 2003, 09:03   #30
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yeah, we needed more computers hooked up.