Old July 3, 2003, 20:05   #1
Gufnork
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PBEM anyone?
Well, I just got the SMAX expansion (I actually hadn't played since before it came out, but I found my SMAC CD when visiting my parents so I started playing again realizing how fun it actually is). Anyway, I figured I'd try the PBEM function. I haven't played any multiplayer SMAC game, so it's about time. Anyone interested in joining up? You guys with more experience with this should set it up, I'm just interested in playing and I thought this would be the fastest way to get it going.
Old July 3, 2003, 20:20   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Hello Gufnork,
welcome to Apolyton! This is a great place to sign up for/ start PBEM Games! If you would like to have someone set up your game for you, why let me know, and I can do this for this game. Also, if you'd like to gain some knowledge in how to play PBEM's, as well as how to accelerate your playing capabilities, why visit the SMAC Academy . FYI.

D
Old July 4, 2003, 06:50   #3
Gufnork
Prince

Thank you, that would take care of one obstacle. Now all I need is players. And since I'm new to PBEM and very naive it shouldn't be hard to find players willing to abuse me to boost their own egos?
Old July 4, 2003, 08:32   #4
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:02
post some setts you want to use now aswell, helps people decide, everyone has different tastes.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old July 4, 2003, 10:03   #5
Gufnork
Prince

Well, I don't know which settings are fun, so I thought I'd let the other players decide. Transcend difficulty is all I ask for.
Old July 5, 2003, 01:08   #6
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My PBEM experience consists of a couple of partial games. I'll join you in a SMAC game ... I do not have SMAX. I enjoy playing Gaian, but am willing to take any role.
Old July 5, 2003, 08:59   #7
Hazza
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Settler

Hi,
Yeah i'd like to join the game if that's possible. I'm not 2 experienced at multiplayer but I've done ok in the past.
I don't really mind who I play as, but my prefernces are gaians 1st and peacekeepers 2nd, or maybe even the believers.
Old July 5, 2003, 09:01   #8
Hazza
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Settler

And I don't have SMAX either
Old July 5, 2003, 11:03   #9
Gufnork
Prince

Ok, so I'll sign Chip_Buckner up as Gaian, Hazza as Peacekeepers. I think I'll play University myself, or Spartans if a fourth player wants to play University. One more and we'll start.
Old July 5, 2003, 11:36   #10
Hazza
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Settler

Cool, please note tho, that I am going on holiday at the end of July, so if you do not want delays I suggest starting the game later than the middle of August (not really acceptable coz every1 will be wanting to play be4 then) or just getting rid of me and getting rid of the waiting too.
Honestly, I don't mind what you choose, but I'll be playing a PBEM game on SMAC definitly when I return from my holiday.
Old July 5, 2003, 12:33   #11
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

For Hazza ...
My thoughts are either to get a temporary substitute, wait for your return or ... and I've never heard of anyone doing this, but ... before you leave.
(1) Turn the Governor on for your bases;
(2) Give your password to the person who plays AFTER you;
(3) When the player who plays before you finishes, he skips you and sends the game to the player who follows you;
(4) When the person AFTER you gets your turn, he "plays" it by doing nothing (the Governors do whatever they do), then he saves and loads his own turn.
Or, you all may have better ideas.
CHIP
Old July 9, 2003, 14:24   #12
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Have you guys ever get another players? If not I could sign up. I've never played in a PBEM before. And I only have SMAC. I usually play Gaian but I see that it is already taken. I guess I can play Hive too since I'm now in the Hive in the ACDG. That is if you still need people to play with.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 23:51   #13
Gufnork
Prince

We need one more, since four seems to be a good number for multiplayer. Possibly another one, depending on Huzza and his holiday. Btw, SMAX didn't work after all?
Old July 10, 2003, 10:55   #14
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Actually yes it did work. It's just that I haven't had time to get familiar with it yet.

So let me know if you would have me. If yes I would prefer we could start soon since my time after August will be busier.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 11, 2003, 05:33   #15
Gufnork
Prince

Yes, step right up. If everyone would just send me their mails we'll get it started. I'm getting worried that I've heard nothing from Chip and Huzza for a while though.
Old July 11, 2003, 07:25   #16
smarthead2003
Settler

If you've still got an opening, I've never played AC multiplayer before, but would love to start.

- Never mind. Found someone to play.

Last edited by smarthead2003; July 14, 2003 at 01:42.
Old July 13, 2003, 14:23   #17
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

What is preventing us from beginning?
Old July 14, 2003, 09:55   #18
Snowflake
Princess

Gufnork, have you got emails from all players? Have you got the game set up or are you waiting for somebody to do it for us? Please keep us posted. I hope we can start soon.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 14, 2003, 10:09   #19
Gufnork
Prince

I haven't received an e-mail from anyone and I don't want the game set up before I know how many we'll be. Since Hazza seems to have abandoned us (and is going on vacation soon anyway), I suggest we play the three of us. I'll ask Darsnan if he can set it up for us, in the mean time you can send me your mails. Mine is perhenri@dd.chalmers.se
Old July 14, 2003, 10:30   #20
Snowflake
Princess

I'll post my email here too so both Gufnork and Chip_Buckner can have it. xxxhhu003@mchsi.comxxx
Get rid of the xxx in the beginning and end. It's there for antispamming purpose.

So it is Gugnork for univ, Chip for Gaian and me for Hive right? SMAC? Order of play? Any exploits forbidden?

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 14, 2003, 10:32   #21
Snowflake
Princess

I've never played PBEM before and haven't even finished one transcend SP game yet. Go easy on me please guys.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 14, 2003, 16:22   #22
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 07:02
I'd like to join - if possible?!?

Never played PBEM before. SMAC v5 is my current version. I opt for the Morganites.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:29   #23
Snowflake
Princess

Rubin and Chip, could you guys post your email here so all four of us can have a list? I suppose sometimes we may need to email each other say discussion about pact or treaty or such.

Gufnork, have you contacted Darsnan? If he couldn't do it I could ask Googlie to set up the game for us. Let me know.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 14, 2003, 16:55   #24
Rubin
staff

Excellent! So are these the settings?

Provost Gufnork - the University (perhenri @ dd dot chalmers dot se)
Chairman HongHu - the Human Hive (hhu003 @ mchsi dot com)
Lord Chip_Buckner - the Gaians (??? @ ???)
CEO Rubin - the Morganites (Rubin_Datalinks @ hotmail dot com)

CMN - Darsnan (??? @ ???)

I suggest:
Transcend Original SMAC v5.0 game
Large (or standard) map - Average everything
Standard play order

I'm not familiar with any standard PBEM rules. I'd prefer: directed research, all victory conditions, do or die, no Unity survey, look first and maybe no random events.

As to exploits/bugs allowed I believe a standard PBEM set can be found...
Old July 14, 2003, 21:15   #25
Gufnork
Prince

I don't like upgrading crawlers before cashing them in, changing SE choices for a turn or less, adding colony pods to bases to bypass Hab limits. If anyone of you really like on of these things I'll accept it though.

I've contacted Darsnan, I'll let you know when he answers.

Btw, I'd prefer a standard map or smaller, would take too long otherwise.
Old July 14, 2003, 21:55   #26
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Rubin
Excellent! So are these the settings?

Provost Gufnork - the University (perhenri @ dd dot chalmers dot se)
Chairman HongHu - the Human Hive (hhu003 @ mchsi dot com)
Lord Chip_Buckner - the Gaians (??? @ ???)
CEO Rubin - the Morganites (Rubin_Datalinks @ hotmail dot com)

CMN - Darsnan (??? @ ???)

I suggest:
Transcend Original SMAC v5.0 game
Large (or standard) map - Average everything
Standard play order
Heah Guys,

my E-Mail address is xxxdnandal@twcny.rr.comxxx (minus the spambeating x's).
As far as the game is concerned: do you all agree with Rubin's settings above? Also, would you like me to use my "doctored" Alpha.txt, or do you just want me to run with the original Alpha.txt? Essentially with my Alpha.txt the following is available:

1. AI's build Probe Cruisers with the discovery of Doc: Init.

2. Sea Boreholes and Sea Sensors can be built by Sea Formers.

3. Submarines available with Doc: Init.

4. Aircraft Carriers available with Doc: AP.

5. Sea Monoliths (not a function of the Alpha.txt file - I just add them in because I think their important to the naval aspects of the game).

6. The Sentinels: Bio-mechanical units left by the original inhabitants of Planet (i.e. The Progenitors), to guard Planet from "aliens" until the Progenitors return (again, not a function of the Alpha.txt file - just another twist I've added to the game).

Let me know if any, or all of these items are things you want included in your game, and I'll set it up according to what you guys agree on.
Also, how much of a boost do you want me to give the AI's in this one? What with the PK's, Spartans, and Believers at my disposal, why these 3 can do some serious damage here, given the proper leverage!
Finally, I will be offline starting Thursday night till Sunday (20 year High School reunion), so I probably won't get this one out till early next week. FYI.

D
Old July 15, 2003, 04:56   #27
Rubin
staff

Gufnork and HongHu: I've passed a set of rules to you. Let me know what you think.

How about calling the game: Gufnork Rumble - we'll start a turn thread once the game is set up.

Still need Chip_Buckner's e-mail address - otherwise we should look for 4th player.
Old July 15, 2003, 08:56   #28
Gufnork
Prince

Sure, I can agree to those rules.

Last edited by Gufnork; July 15, 2003 at 09:07.
Old July 15, 2003, 09:45   #29
Snowflake
Princess

The set of rules seemed pretty good. I would suggest not to allow using colony pod to bypass hab limit, no backward engineering, and stockpile bug allowed (hard to monitor). The rules after determined should be posted here in this thread.
What is the standard order of play? The only thing I was considering is that looks like Chip and I are in the same time zone and Gufnork and Rubin is about 6 or 7 hours from us. If we do the order right, for those initial rounds we could shorten the turn times.
Looks to me Chip intends to play so we sholdn't need to look for another player.
Rubin could you post the final rule here or send it to Darsnan so that he can work on the game before Thursday? I really hope we can start this week.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 15, 2003, 10:23   #30
Rubin
staff

Alright, no colony pod limit bypass. But I think we should keep the reverse engineering on - except for the Probe Team to Speeder one. Ok, HongHu?

Standard order is the way a normal single player game runs. Gaians first, then Hive, Uni, Morgan, Spartan, Believers and Peacekeepers last.

In this 4-some it'll be: Chip_Buckner, HongHu, Gufnork and Rubin.

Should I ask Darsnan to set up the game even though I've heard nothing from Chip? Darsnan could provide us with passwords, and I know a way to get a password for Chip so that it remains a secret. We can then send it to him even though Darsnan is offline.

If all of this is ok, I send the stuff to Darsnan and the game can hopefully commence soon. HongHu?