Old July 15, 2003, 03:11   #31
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I tried necromancer, but I just could not get into it. I don't like standing around waiting for my stupid summons to actually kill something.
Perhaps you should try a sniper necro.

Amplify Damage + lots of poison + crossbow = lots of "one shot one kill" fun.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 15, 2003, 03:12   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I gave up on Pindle. Mephy has been much kinder to me.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 15, 2003, 03:42   #33
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Would it be possible to have +2 Necro Skills, +3 Poison and Bone Skills, and +3 Bone Spear on the same wand? That'd be one hell of a find, but I'm not sure you can get that under normal rules either.
You cannot get that under normal rules, because +2 necro skills and +3 three poison and bone skills are both prefixes, you cannot get +3 poison and bone on rares, and only rares can give you more than one prefix.
Old July 15, 2003, 04:44   #34
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Ya that's what I thought. Somebody's pants are on fire.
Old July 15, 2003, 05:23   #35
da_hal
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
maybe, since he never went online, he has the "out-of-the-box" .07 or something with the killer rares.
Old July 15, 2003, 08:27   #36
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
Are you playing a mod, cause IIRC that is not possible.
No mods. Maybe I'm wrong about this but I'm pretty sure this is correct. I'll check when I get home tonight.
Old July 15, 2003, 20:07   #37
Harry Seldon
King

I had to reinstall Diablo but I can't get it to work. I'm getting a server exception and can't load it. I'm uploading what I believe to be my necromancer character for all you naysayers so if you can see before me, let me know.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip nicholas.zip (252.9 KB, 0 views)
Old July 15, 2003, 21:35   #38
Harry Seldon
King

Had to disable direct3d and load directdraw instead. BM was right. It's a yew wand, +3 bone spear, +2 summon resist, +150% damage to undead. So it's even suckier than I thought.
Old July 16, 2003, 03:27   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

It would be possible to get a rare +2 necromancer, +2 bone and poison skills, +3 bone bone spear wand. Just not very possible.
Old July 17, 2003, 08:59   #40
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
I never get good items, but I have fun playing nevertheless.

I just started my new Amazon character. She has a crappy bow, but she's cool. Amazon's are real dependant on good items. Having a good bow is imperative.

If you want a character not dependant on items quite as much, try a sorceress. While many items are very useful for a sorceress, they can still kick some major ass without them.
Best account build in bnet from scratch is

Build sorc

-level up sorc
-hoard as much +skill item (quest, trade etc)
-hoard as much mf as u can (quest, trade etc)
-start saving up starter items for barb

Build barb

-give starter items to barb
-level up barb
-Give mf items to barb
-Get 2xtulwar and mf quest

After awhile when you can afford trading for it or if u find burito, lycander or windforce for zon... Build her! shes the best char in game IMO.

build other char whenever u want after this is accomplished.
Old July 18, 2003, 02:45   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 22:05
that's too much work.

I play to have fun, not to have uber items.

In fact, I have never even played Hell difficulty. I usually get bored by then. The highest I've gotten, was a sorceress to act5 Nightmare.
Old July 18, 2003, 03:22   #42
da_hal
Warlord

bnet is far easier to get started on than sp (without cheats.) it's almost impossible to transfer stuff in sp.

The easiest char to start from nothing, imho, is the zon. the starter javelin is probably the best wep for all chars 1-5, with the 1 gold repair cost. at level five, shop for a 3 socket pike or spear, and socket it with whatever you have available. i usually use flawed diamonds. then, jab your way through andariel with the jav in the 2nd slot for bosses you want to stay away from, like the smith.

starting on bnet is very easy. just hang around the gem trading room and wait for somebody to come around offering crap to newbies. it happens about every 2-3 minutes during the busy times.
Old July 18, 2003, 03:32   #43
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I would start with the barb first, as they do well on low levels without much equipment. This is assuming that you're not a filthy cheater who is rushing the char -- in which case, a sorc can do better without the equipment, as long as she has the skills.
Old July 18, 2003, 03:34   #44
The Mad Monk
Emperor

da_hal, I tend to save starter javs for just that reason -- accessible to all chars, great damge when thrown, and you can renew the stack for only one gp.

Just don't throw that last jav.
Old July 18, 2003, 20:03   #45
da_hal
Warlord

in terms of classes, i think all of them are equally sad lvls 1-5.

barbs and zons start to pick up at @12 with normal gems in sockets and stuff. but the key for either one is to get enough leech and the damage to make it so that you are almost self sufficient.

sorcs, imho, struggle until lvl 17 or so, then rock afterwards. i've cleared normal with lvl 1 blizzard, nm with lvl 1 orb.

if i had to start from total scratch, i feel confident with sorc, zon, barb, and necro. i would suppose zon is the easiest of them because you get a larger boost from gems/runes than other classes, and the "best" weapons are exceptional.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:16   #46
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
that's too much work.

I play to have fun, not to have uber items.

In fact, I have never even played Hell difficulty. I usually get bored by then. The highest I've gotten, was a sorceress to act5 Nightmare.
i dont want to promote this, but cow lvling allows you to reach lv 90 overnight. If you have a friend with 80+ char u can simply breeze ur way thru a1 normal to a5 hell in less than 5 hrs.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:18   #47
Zero
King

easiest char to start out with has to be a druid.
Old July 21, 2003, 14:42   #48
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

just started a druid yesterday.

This time a werebear. I orginally didn't like them over the wolves because they seemed too slow.

But I'm really digging my werebear. They look better than wolves, they also sound better. It takes a while to get used to the slow attack speed, but it is so nice doing massive damage in one hit. I did have a little trouble in act3 with those flayers and such. I need more fire resistance. Those flayer shaman's fire really hurts me- even with the massive amounts of hitpoints I have.

But werebears are massive tanks. Even more than barbarians. And much better than Paladins. I had to be careful with my paladin- I couldn't just wade into the thick of combat. Plus I used a shield (though that was before dexterity affected blocking).

I ditched the shield for my werebear. I'd rather just use a maul and do more damage . But I do get hit a lot. But soon I will get hunger to help out with that.

Oh, and I don't use vines. They are kind of annoying anyways. I do use wolves and spirits though.
Old July 22, 2003, 08:23   #49
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
i dont want to promote this, but cow lvling allows you to reach lv 90 overnight. If you have a friend with 80+ char u can simply breeze ur way thru a1 normal to a5 hell in less than 5 hrs
What's cow leveling?
Old July 22, 2003, 09:10   #50
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Doing the Secret Cow Level over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

It's even less fun than it sounds.
Old July 22, 2003, 11:28   #51
Harry Seldon
King

I've heard of the cow level now that you mention it. That's with the devil possessed cows, right?
Old July 22, 2003, 11:34   #52
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yes.

You activate it by putting Wirt's Leg and a Tome of Town Portal into the Horadric Cube and transmuting them while standing in the Rogue's Camp in a difficulty level you've already completed. A red portal will open close to where you're standing.

Inside there a lots of Hell Bovine who run around in big packs. There is also the Cow King boss (who's always Lightning Enchanted). In 1.09 you couldn't do the Secret Cow Level in any difficulty in which you'd already killed the Cow King, so people used to just avoid him and kill everything else so they could do it again. I'm not sure if that restriction still applies in the Beta of 1.10
Old July 22, 2003, 20:00   #53
Tuberski

WOO HOO I made somebody's signature!!!!!

So far, 1.10 seems a little harder than previous versions. Of course, I'm playing a hardcore character now.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 22, 2003, 20:08   #54
Zero
King

Quote:
just started a druid yesterday.

This time a werebear. I orginally didn't like them over the wolves because they seemed too slow.

But I'm really digging my werebear. They look better than wolves, they also sound better. It takes a while to get used to the slow attack speed, but it is so nice doing massive damage in one hit. I did have a little trouble in act3 with those flayers and such. I need more fire resistance. Those flayer shaman's fire really hurts me- even with the massive amounts of hitpoints I have.

But werebears are massive tanks. Even more than barbarians. And much better than Paladins. I had to be careful with my paladin- I couldn't just wade into the thick of combat. Plus I used a shield (though that was before dexterity affected blocking).

I ditched the shield for my werebear. I'd rather just use a maul and do more damage . But I do get hit a lot. But soon I will get hunger to help out with that.

Oh, and I don't use vines. They are kind of annoying anyways. I do use wolves and spirits though.
Most Wolf builds rule over bear builds. I've seen bear builds that overcome AR differences and attack speed, but in general wolf build usally PK and quest at a much faster rate.
Old July 23, 2003, 02:24   #55
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
It's true the wolf is better than the bear, but bears are cooler. A wolf just furies forever w/o ever doing anything else. The bear has the cool shockwave attack to stun enemies before he mauls them, and he looks cooler.
Old July 23, 2003, 02:43   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yeah I already did a wolf.

the bear does look cooler . and i like the way he sounds as well.

back to the topic of the patch, does anyone know what changes they are planning?
Old July 23, 2003, 04:43   #57
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
back to the topic of the patch, does anyone know what changes they are planning?
Download it and find out.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/beta/readme.shtml

There are lots of skill changes, mostly to give them more synergy (putting points into SkillA improves SkillB).
Old July 24, 2003, 00:12   #58
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Also, diabloii.net has lots of info.
Old July 24, 2003, 03:21   #59
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Is it out now?

I was just on battle net 2 nights ago, and it didn't autmatically download when I went on battle.net.

maybe it came out since then.

edit: I see it is a beta that isn't for battle.net yet. That's why I haven't seen it.
Old July 24, 2003, 16:10   #60
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Is it out now?

The original date was supposed to be Sep. 2002 for the 1.10 patch. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't out 'til Xmas this year.