Old July 5, 2003, 01:22   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your 4th of Juy
So what did you end up doing on this fine days of feasting and celebrating in the US? And if not in the US, what did you do this fine Friday?

As for myself: we were invited to go the apartment of one of my step-father's business collegues. It was strange being there with the other few people since they are old money, so it was being in a very different class scene. We then were headed for the roof: on the way the group I was in overloaded the elevator, which then happened to get stuck, and after about 15 minutes, the fire department arrived to retrieve us. I did learn July 4th has a high incidence of stuck elevators in NYC. Why? Becuase many people do head to the roofs. Well, so we took the stairs up and arrived at the roof. A few minutes later we had a spectacular view of the July 4th fireworks show which they have in the east river each year. It was a spectacular show and I could see all of it, with nothing blocking the way. It was very nice. And after a while talking to these people we returned home.

What about you?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 5, 2003, 01:23   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I spent my whole day on 'Poly instead of working.
Old July 5, 2003, 01:26   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 01:06
We went down to the National Mall for the fireworks with several hundred thousands of our fellow 'mericans. We were near the Washington monument. It's great when you're so close that the ash from the fireworks falls on you!

Good show!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 5, 2003, 01:30   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
I went to a friend's house party earlier this evening, and after that, chatted with a few friends at a club for an hour or so, then got back home at around 10:00.
Old July 5, 2003, 01:30   #5
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 05:06
My Fortnight in July
Today really sucked for me. I thought about my mom all day long, while I was walking on the beach, and now my feet are all fvcked up and blistered.

On the other hand, I didn't get stung by a bee. So that's at the very least a blessing

Are you Batman?
Old July 5, 2003, 01:30   #6
LTEC!
Goddess

Local Time: 22:06
I did my patriotic (HAHAHAHAAHA) duty. Bought Ian a little flag.
Old July 5, 2003, 02:26   #7
GePap
Emperor

Here is a pic of the fireworks show:

"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 5, 2003, 02:30   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
USA! USA! USA!

You are my favorite bunch of gentiles. (*coughbombirancough*)
Old July 5, 2003, 02:56   #9
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

The fireworks were great this year. Right where they were supposed to be, too, at the King's bay.

The helicopters were too goddamned noisy, though.

But I'm not complaining, and it brought back a lot of great memories.

<:ˇŪ
Old July 5, 2003, 03:00   #10
Kramerman
Prince

i watched the twilight zone maratho on the sci fi channel, whilst playing America's Army.
i had one meal today, from toca cobana, a suck ass mexican fast food chain. oh, and i had some pop tarts. i couldnt get fire crackers cause my car is having problems
Old July 5, 2003, 03:21   #11
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

was really really sick for a while

didn't geel so hot for a while

played a few hours of video games

Jon Miller
Old July 5, 2003, 04:49   #12
Fve Crathva
Warlord

I worked on a process description for my Englineering class until 4 this morning. Set my alarm clock for 8 PM instead of 8 AM, and slept until 10:30--through 2 classes. Went to classes, blah, blah, blah. I spent the rest of the day playing Zangband. It took me 3 hours to clear out the Spawning Pits.

SP
Old July 5, 2003, 06:05   #13
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:06
Went down to the pub with a group of mates, then headed round to a friend's house and played Halo for a couple of hours. And no-one mentioned Independence Day once.

But maybe that's because we're not American.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old July 5, 2003, 06:14   #14
cinch
Warlord

I worked from 11-4, and then attended the opening day of the Pysanka Festival, which celebrates Ukrainian heritage and art. We watched the grandstand show til about 10, then headed over to the beer gardens and chatted for a while.

Then the polka came. Oh lordy, do I love to polka. It was a great time and I feel oddly rejuvenated at the moment.

And, yes, Independence Day was never mentioned. We's canucks!
Old July 5, 2003, 07:27   #15
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 06:06
worked from 8-4.30, not too bad, at least it didn't rain. was knackered, came home, thought about going out, decided i couldn't be arsed, played on the computer, posted on poly and went to bed.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old July 5, 2003, 11:13   #16
Zkribbler
Deity

1) Sat around the house waiting for the plumber. Played EU2 on my laptop until he arrived. Kicked the snot out of Austria. Go Russia!

2) The bad news is, the plumber is going to have to rip out a bunch of tiles to get to a leaky pipe in the shower. The good news is I rent, so the owner pays for it.

3) Drove up to a friend of mine's place in Ventura. Nasty traffic. A 1-hour drive took 2 1/2 hours.

4) Laid around...napping ...reading "Good Omens"...watching the "Twilight Zone" marathon.

5) Had some deeeeeelicious BBQ.

6) Watched "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" DVD

7) Then fireworks & home. Couldn't help noticing the hundreds of private fireworks displays on my way home--even though they're illegal. Tender-dry bush everywhere. Driving past Dodger Stadium was weird. Couldn't see the fireworks directly but there were really low clouds, almost fog, which would light up with each explosion.

8) Snuggled up to my laptop in bed. As winter sets in, four Austrian frigates sneak into the Black Sea and catch two of my merchantmen unloading desparately needed infantry. Oh, the humanity!!
Old July 5, 2003, 11:25   #17
Pekka
Emperor

It's not important what I did yesterday. What matters is, that I'm going for a shower now, and then to outdoor party. I have purchased way too much to drink, and there won't be anything left when I stumble back home.
But I'll have one for your independece day too. And then 20 more for other reasons. I'll be making out tonight, because there's a girl that is interested in me, and my lips are hungry.

"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 5, 2003, 12:26   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

It was a Holocaust remembrance day here... on this day, a sinagogue was burnt, full of Jews.
Old July 5, 2003, 12:27   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I spent the night before with the SO, spent the day with him, then went downtown to watch the fireworks with Zylka. Although the fireworks weren't for the 4th of July, I can pretend.
Old July 5, 2003, 13:27   #20
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
It's not important what I did yesterday. What matters is, that I'm going for a shower now, and then to outdoor party. I have purchased way too much to drink, and there won't be anything left when I stumble back home.
But I'll have one for your independece day too. And then 20 more for other reasons. I'll be making out tonight, because there's a girl that is interested in me, and my lips are hungry.

Don't you want to go beyond the lips though?
Old July 5, 2003, 14:43   #21
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

My Senior High School Prom happened to be yesterday too, and it went fantastically

I walked there, because I really can't be bothered with limo's and was greeted by a massive table filled with (free! ) champagne and about 150 or so of my friends. Everyone was taking photos, chatting with people we'll see for the last time, and some we haven't seen for a few years (a couple that left a year or 2 ago came). About 8:30 we went in for dinner, which was pretty nice, and with free wine (was cheap rubbish in all honesty, not like most people there drank wine so would care). After dinner, myself and afew friends who had brought cigars went outside and had a nice smoke while chatting with a few of the teachers who had come (and who all got more than a little tipsy ). Then went in and danced for the next few hours, and having a great laugh, before walking back. Was a great nice, if mostly because of the occasion and the great company. To top it all off, a girl I really wanted to see again (and took to the last prom, when she left) came even if she is engaged

All in all a fantastic night, and I only had one regret. If only I'd remembered to take my migraine meds before I went out, I could have avoided an hour in the bathroom being sick. Still was great though. I'm really gunna miss that place and those people

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old July 5, 2003, 21:16   #22
Pekka
Emperor

MrFun, yes, and I did! Well not very muvh. I'm very super driunk now spo eccuseme me. Not very mucvh further.. but we did make out.. and then we fel each other.. but clothes on., It was nice.. .she wasn't ready coming to my house, but I didn pressure.. i was like 'ok sure'... I hope she cals em tomororw, she was prety...big bobs
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 5, 2003, 23:38   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

watched the local fireworks, rather than haul down to DC (it's way too crowded)
Old July 5, 2003, 23:45   #24
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I heard people were turned away at the end

Jon Miller (wasn't feeling up to it)
Old July 6, 2003, 00:06   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

We wouldn't be, because my dad's office always has a party on the 4th of july, and they have a big balcony from which you can watch the fireworks, so we'd go there
Old July 6, 2003, 00:29   #26
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I heard people were turned away at the end

There was a long line for those who brought bags to get them checked. If you didn't get there before 8:30 or so, I doubt you would have made it onto the Mall.

That said, you could stay right off the Mall and still get an excellent view of the fireworks.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 6, 2003, 01:12   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Watched local fireworks. In Utah. Logan, Utah.

Had a few drinks to celebrate.
Old July 6, 2003, 02:32   #28
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I slept in, played computer games, and watched the Twilight Zone Marathon. After all, if America isn't about that, whut is it about?
Old July 6, 2003, 03:22   #29
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I slept in, played computer games, and watched the Twilight Zone Marathon. After all, if America isn't about that, whut is it about?
heh, sounds like my 4th exactly
Old July 6, 2003, 04:01   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:06
Did a mod change the thread title as a prank?