Old July 7, 2003, 15:46   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ3 Conquests: Resources
I think 'exotic birds' is a silly idea for a new resource. I have a hard time imagining the people in my civilization becoming less 'war weary' after I distribute cockatoos to the masses...

I think a better resource would be the coca plant / cocaine . You could use that resource to undermine other civilizations by creating black market for illegal drugs there. You could trade multiple quantities of this resource to the same civilization. The 'trade' of cocaine does not represent a formal agreement. It is conducted without sanction of receiving civ. In exchange for the drug, the seller receives a gpt value representing financial drain due to lost productivity of buyer. Buyer civs actual shields productivity takes a small hit and workers are less efficient. Seller civ suffers a reputation hit with all civs when 'trading' this resource. The 'trade' can be cancelled by war or normal trade route interruption.
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 16:12   #2
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:14
Firaxis wouldn't implement such a non-politically-correct concept.
BigFurryMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 16:24   #3
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 00:14
I would add coffee, as it is one of the most significantly traded commodity now, and for years back.
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 16:33   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:14
A black-market resource would be a hell to implement in a mere XP. I think the actual effect of such a resource would be to increase happiness and corruption in the targeted Civ, and the selling Civ should make as much money as corruption made this way.

That's a good idea for a future Civ, but a too radical change for an expansion.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 16:52   #5
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 13:14
Coffee is a good idea!
Old July 7, 2003, 17:21   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"the coca plant / cocaine"

Wow. I imagine that would be a can of worms an all ages civ game wouldn't want to open up.
Old July 7, 2003, 17:25   #7
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 21:14
Exotic Birds could be to represent Ostrich and other flightless bird feathers, which were popular during the imperialist age for use in clothing. But parrots, pheasants and such have always been popular trades for royalty, and in more recent times, pets for the masses. But I do kind of agree that something like coffee or chocolate would have made more sense.

But whatever. I have been a fan of luxury resources ever since I figured out how to use them, and more of them means less citizens who hate me.
Danarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 18:08   #8
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
come on, admit that each of you has attempted to get a parrot talking to you in a pet store at least once in your life. now admit it was fun. admit YOU wouldn't mind having your nation at war if you could have that bird talk to you all day.

ADMIT IT.
Old July 7, 2003, 18:59   #9
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
I would add coffee, as it is one of the most significantly traded commodity now, and for years back.
Correct me if i'm worng but not only is coffee significantly tarded it is the second most traded product on Earth, only Oil is more traded. Coffee should have been in the original version.

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 00:16   #10
Vince278
King

Local Time: 05:14
I thought Civ already had coffee (or am I thinking of CtP?).
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 01:24   #11
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Absolutely

I'd also add hops, but then we would need breweries
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 02:10   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
I thought Civ already had coffee (or am I thinking of CtP?).
Civ has furs, incense, dyes, ivory, gems, wines, silks and spices.

No coffee.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 17:22   #13
WarpStorm
King

Let's just say that Exotic Birds makes sense in context.
Old July 8, 2003, 17:28   #14
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Let's just say that Exotic Birds makes sense in context.
Why? Does the XP have zoos?
Old July 8, 2003, 18:11   #15
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
I'd also add hops, but then we would need breweries
IIRC, someone once suggested that we add these into CTP2. A city with a brewery gets a significant happiness boost. Great idea, but no-one ever got around to doing it.
Peter Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 21:45   #16
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

If exotic birds makes sense in context, maybe there are zoos, or maybe there feathers are used in some way? What other uses are there for exotic birds?

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 22:23   #17
Quasar1011
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Civ has furs, incense, dyes, ivory, gems, wines, silks and spices.

No coffee.
Unless you mod it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	49371  
Quasar1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 01:11   #18
Vince278
King

I've seen those coffee beans before on a map. If it wasn't Civ3 then it had to be CtP2.
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 01:44   #19
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

But if you are not a big fan of modding and you are playing with standard rules then you still don't have coffee.

Coffee is not that important to me to eliminate some other luxury because of it.

Nevertheless including it within the standard/default luxuries would make sense.

Quote:
A city with a brewery gets a significant happiness boost.
...and a significant productivity reduction
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 09:24   #20
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
"the coca plant / cocaine"

Wow. I imagine that would be a can of worms an all ages civ game wouldn't want to open up.

Why not? Are you saying that presenting drugs as a commodity is somehow immoral? Opium has been traded for thousands of years. I'm sure there are examples of other PC games out there that deal with drugs in an irresponsible manner. I think by presenting it in Civ3 you are showing it in a real context. If Civ3 were to have only one black market resource, Opium is probably a better choice than coca plant because it has been used and traded by civs for centuries ...

Opium has been responsible for conflicts between nations before, specifically:

The Opium War, also called the Anglo-Chinese War, was the most humiliating defeat China ever suffered. In European history, it is perhaps the most sordid, base, and vicious event in European history, possibly, just possibly, overshadowed by the excesses of the Third Reich in the twentieth century.

By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world; very few drug cartels of the twentieth century can even touch the England of the early nineteenth century in sheer size of criminality. Growing opium in India, the East India Company shipped tons of opium into Canton which it traded for Chinese manufactured goods and for tea. This trade had produced, quite literally, a country filled with drug addicts, as opium parlors proliferated all throughout China in the early part of the nineteenth century. This trafficing, it should be stressed, was a criminal activity after 1836, but the British traders generously bribed Canton officials in order to keep the opium traffic flowing. The effects on Chinese society were devestating. In fact, there are few periods in Chinese history that approach the early nineteenth century in terms of pure human misery and tragedy. In an effort to stem the tragedy, the imperial government made opium illegal in 1836 and began to aggressively close down the opium dens.

It was Opium that was behind China's ceding of Hong Kong to the British.
Old July 9, 2003, 09:28   #21
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 23:14
and... so why add something so un-pc? If you want durgs in the game, then add it!
Old July 9, 2003, 09:41   #22
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
and... so why add something so un-pc? If you want durgs in the game, then add it!
Why is it not politically correct? Do you think that someone who is old enough to play Civ3 is not old enough to understand drugs in the historical context that a game like Civ3 would present it in?
Old July 9, 2003, 09:49   #23
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
Would the addition of a drug resource in Civ3 somehow inspire you to go out and use drugs? Is that why it's not 'pc'?

If you answered 'yes', then tell me: Since you've started playing Civ3, have you used more spice in your food because Civ3 has a spice resource?
Old July 9, 2003, 11:39   #24
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Why not? Are you saying that presenting drugs as a commodity is somehow immoral? Opium has been traded for thousands of years. I'm sure there are examples of other PC games out there that deal with drugs in an irresponsible manner. I think by presenting it in Civ3 you are showing it in a real context. If Civ3 were to have only one black market resource, Opium is probably a better choice than coca plant because it has been used and traded by civs for
No. I personally am placing no moral judgement on which commodities the game uses. What I meant in my brevity was that the addition of certain illegal drugs as a commodity, cocaine in particular, comes weighted with so much baggage, and has such potential to create knee jerk negative reaction from outside interests, that it would - most likely - have to have serious gameplay value to be added. I would venture as well there are games out there that present such drugs more irresponsibly than a civ game would. I would also venture to say it is that very irresponsibility - the "edginess" - that the game centered on.

And I agree, if such a game ever added such a black market commodity, it would probably be opium. Its significance in history goes unquestioned, and importantly, intellectually it feels more removed from the street level user drug. And a degree of removal is important. Much in the way tobacco comes up in games, but I would doubt cigarettes, overwhelming the number one use for tobacco (currently, in any case) ever would.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:35   #25
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
Since you've started playing Civ3, have you used more spice in your food because Civ3 has a spice resource?
Yes, and I've now got piles of gems in my house; I bought a Samurai Sword and got me my own submarine.

The point is: Firaxis wouldn't risk putting such a resource in, since it's a politically tricky issue.
BigFurryMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 13:13   #26
Zord
Civilization III PBEMSpanish Civers
King

Quote:
I've seen those coffee beans before on a map. If it wasn't Civ3 then it had to be CtP2.
They are familiar to me, too... but I have not played CtP2. Maybe Colonization?
Zord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 14:30   #27
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Adding drugs to a civ game would be like adding the "Have Terrorists Fly a Plane into a Building" espionage option... not gonna happen.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 15:14   #28
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
They are in the Civ III Double Your Pleasure mod, along with many others.
Old July 9, 2003, 16:12   #29
Azeem
Prince

They should definitely add coffee. Give it a +2 Shield bonus - for keeping people awake in the morning!
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 22:51   #30
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hmmm, I think that the real problem is that yes, you can put opiates into the game with the current editor, but the game mechanics do not exist to properly reflect their use, and abuse, in human history!!
One simple possibility would be to allow certain luxuries and resources to give a negative production or commerce value for the square it's situated in! This could then reflect local crime and corruption caused by such 'luxuries'-they would improve happiness, though .
Alternatively, if 'opiates' was required to build an 'improvement' like opium den, then it should have a negative impact on production and commerce! Either directly, through increased corruption, or indirectly, through -'ve commerce and/or production values for the improvement (again, though, more happiness!) The problem, though, is the editor doesn't allow any of this!
What would be better still would be to have the ability, in conquests, to 'ban' certain luxuries and resources-this would prevent you from trading it normally, but would allow you to export it to other nations via a 'black market' (possible 'Small Wonder' which reduces culture and increases corruption?) Trading a banned resource, internally, would increase happiness and decrease war weariness! Export of the resource would increase corruption and decrease culture in the other Civ (if it's also banned there), whilst giving you a steady supply of cash! Of course, if they know you're responsible, then your reputation would also drop significantly amongst nations who have also banned the resource in question. It should be possible, though, for a civ to build an improvement which can lessen, or even prevent, the effect of black-market trade!!
Actually, whilst on the subject of resources. I'm hoping that Conquests will allow a resource to be a bonus, luxury and/or strategic resource AT ONCE!!! I also hope that it will be possible for a resource to be produced by an improvement, and for resources to improve the chance of getting certain techs!!! Just a thought!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote