I dont care... if they do exist they do, if not, they dont 7 18.92%
i only see banana ghosts 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8, 2003, 19:24   #31
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
as ghosts of the dead - no reason for it - as unexplained phenomenon that might be many things but remains unexplained - yes, but I guess we all agree on that... now what they are or it is - that is a different kettle of fish, and I wouldn't know, as for the belief in ghosts as the dead - no.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 8, 2003, 19:43   #32
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
lightblue: I wouldn't use that smiley if I were you, you might get .
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 8, 2003, 19:48   #33
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 06:18
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
lightblue: I wouldn't use that smiley if I were you, you might get .
I got worse than that one But I'll not post it
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 8, 2003, 21:00   #34
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 06:18
I've seen ghosts. so, yes
Old July 8, 2003, 21:05   #35
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:18
I've hunted down and brutally dismembered all ghosts with my chainsaw. Satan and God, you are next!:P
Old July 8, 2003, 22:12   #36
geeslaka
Prince

Stay away from God! I've got dibs on him!
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 8, 2003, 22:39   #37
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms

Well, I believe in Iceland they didn't have ghosts but they had what we would call zombies, and in Africa they believed in spirits who occupy animals/trees/people IIRC but not transparent dead tribal chiefs haunting the village or something
Ah. As I was explaining, western "ghosts" are mainly astral shells.

Sentient ghosts are invisbile unless you use your sixth chakra.
Old July 8, 2003, 22:48   #38
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

However, after about 2 weeks, most ghosts lose interest in Earth and ascend. To where, I don't know.

However, certainly there are many who stay. Some of animals, some of humans. We more easily recognize humans because we are humans.

Anyway, most ghosts that are seen are called "Astral shells". They aren't ghosts perse, but just a shell of a former person. Doesn't think, doesn't feel....Just mimicks.
There are other types as well. Many ghosts are poltergiests (they are able to interact with the physical world). Ghosts of this nature are very often disturbed and REFUSE to ascend for whatever reason. As a ghost stays on Earth, it begins to lose higher awareness (pleasure, compassion, etc) and begins to falter to lower emotions such as pain and unhappiness.
BUT, in order to stay on Earth, they have to constantly feed off of the life energy of people, so they attack. You can tell when your being attacked when there is a LARGE temperature change (hot or cold), you begin feeling hungry and dizzy, sleepy....
Some ghosts crave sex. They enter a person, and...well, arouse them. But the feelings of arousal aren't there, just the "symptoms". These beings often looks like balls of light with crystals around them and are very beautiful.
Then there are others who are addicted to drugs. They enter a person, and influence them to take drugs. This stimulates both the person and the ghost.

Welcome to the world of New Age.
Where did you pull that from?
Old July 8, 2003, 22:56   #39
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 01:18
It's nice to know as it stands, that only 12% of apolytonites are ignorant enough to believe in ghosts
Old July 8, 2003, 22:57   #40
VJ
King

I don't believe in fairy tales.

Voted for the 3rd option, "I don't care".
Old July 9, 2003, 00:10   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

Where did you pull that from?
Mostly from my own experiences (and those of my wife and child. HA, I'm NOT Crazy ). Terminolog from books.
Old July 9, 2003, 02:27   #42
Kramerman
Prince

your experiences, eh? please elaborate

My government teacher told us this ghost story from his childhood. He swears to this day his house was haunted... kinda spooky. One of his earliest memories was of going into his older sisters room late at night wen he was scared and he saw a ghostly purple figure lying in the bed with her.... I think it was probably the imagination of a little child, but still interesting.
Old July 9, 2003, 02:30   #43
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I think a better question is if I believe in non-ghosts- living creatures and a living world.
Old July 9, 2003, 02:31   #44
Kramerman
Prince

More on the imagination of children:

one time when i was at my grandfathers ( i was like 6), i went down into his game room late at night, and was TOTALLY CONVINCED i saw an ALIEN on his pool table... I ran upstairs screaming in terror. My grandfather, always the skeptic, walked me down (my dad, recently retired from the army, came with a rifle to reassure me, heh) to prove there was no alien... and he was right. it was just some brown wooden statue of an eagle lying on the table... but in the darkness i thought the wooden feathers were scales and stuff... i really felt dumb, as i barely got more than a glance before i turned and ran (it was dark and i was scared going down there alone as it was).
Old July 9, 2003, 03:29   #45
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
I've seen ghosts. so, yes
really...

story... story...

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 9, 2003, 03:32   #46
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
your experiences, eh? please elaborate
Would you like to hear the "Phanton Winds" story? Or maybe I could entertain you with the "Monster Walking up the Stairs and Going through the Window in a Ball of Light" story? Or you might like the story about the "Earthquake"? Maybe "Faceless, Topless Woman" would provide more pleasure for you?
Old July 9, 2003, 03:48   #47
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
how in the world can you be a man of atheism and a man of science??

that is just silly

being an athiest and a scientist is reasonable, otoh (even though agnosticism and scientist goes together the best)

Jon Miller
Utterly confused by Jon's directly contradictory view.
Old July 9, 2003, 03:51   #48
Urban Ranger
Deity

[New Age mode]
Ghosts are brainwaves of dead people interacting with living people. Some people are more receptive than others. That's why only people can feel ghosts, and you can't photograph them.
[/New Age mode]
Old July 9, 2003, 04:21   #49
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
[New Age mode]
Ghosts are brainwaves of dead people interacting with living people. Some people are more receptive than others. That's why only people can feel ghosts, and you can't photograph them.
[/New Age mode]
Umm....No. Ghosts are the souls of dead people interacting with those of the living. It is true that some people are more receptive than others, and that can be due to a variety of factors. Some include a genetic predisposition towards an energy overflow in the sixth chakra, open mindedness, spirtiual strenght, and the strength of the veil.
You can photograph ghosts if they do come down to our frequency.

But, it's very difficult to convince those whom haven't had an experience....And if theyre the type of people who, say, believe Chinese propaganda , then that makes things even more difficult

I've never heard a New-Ager ever say such a thing
Old July 9, 2003, 04:23   #50
Nubclear

Quote:

Utterly confused by Jon's directly contradictory view.
I think he's trying to make it so it seems like you said something akin to "MAN OF STEEL!", as in you ARE steel or you ARE science.

Methinks someone needs to go to dictionary.com
Old July 9, 2003, 04:27   #51
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
I think he's trying to make it so it seems like you said something akin to "MAN OF STEEL!", as in you ARE steel or you ARE science.
Thanks, I am now even more confused.
Old July 9, 2003, 04:36   #52
Nubclear

Quote:

Thanks, I am now even more confused.
Ah. Just read in the other thread: Basically, Speer says one cannot be a man of atheism and a man of science because it's never been proven that god does not exist.
Old July 9, 2003, 09:36   #53
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

nothing to do with that

I just find mand of atheism to be hilarious (and putting man of science, or even saying so, is hilarious itself)

Jon Miler
Old July 9, 2003, 10:26   #54
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I believe that there's a ton of stuff out there in the wide world that we don't have a freakin' clue about, and, in the tradition of our ancestors, when we don't understand something, it's "magic" or supernatural.

(to us, flipping a light switch is just that....mundane. To a Neanderthal, somehow transported here, it would be the "magic switch" and greatly feared/revered)

So....wierd, freaky stuff happens, and we can't explain it, and when that happens, we invent theories that fit the facts at hand. Right? Wrong? Impossible to say without better understanding the phenomenon that has and is occuring.

That said, yes. I believe that wierd, spooky $hit happens (and have experienced some of it firsthand). If people want to explain it via the label "ghost" I'm okay with that (not being able to prove or disprove them).

So...in light of the views above, and my own experiences, I voted yes.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 16:11   #55
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:

Would you like to hear the "Phanton Winds" story? Or maybe I could entertain you with the "Monster Walking up the Stairs and Going through the Window in a Ball of Light" story? Or you might like the story about the "Earthquake"? Maybe "Faceless, Topless Woman" would provide more pleasure for you?
they all sound interesting... i havent heard a good ghost story in forever.... pick the most entertaining, if you would like, any of 'em would be fine to hear. Im just curious of what type of experience you say you have had.
Old July 9, 2003, 16:13   #56
Kramerman
Prince

Vel, those are very much my views as well, tho most of the freaky spooky incidences in my life were explained, or rational explainations were at least theorized...

so because of this, i voted no.... even tho I know there really is no way of knowing. cant discount it without any evidence for or against. same as for God and aliens...
Old July 9, 2003, 16:57   #57
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Kman!

Yep....weird stuff in this big ol' world....that's for sure, and kudos for being able to reason out or theorize about some of the strangeness you've seen. That can be comforting in the extreme when confronted by things like that (spooky things that seem to defy explanation on the surface).

I've generated some theories about some of the stuff I've experienced as well, but none of my theories sit very well on my brain....to me they feel like an attempt to justify or rationalize, but the square pegs just don't fit into the round holes very well, so...I'm left with the other option....supporting their alleged existence until I can either find theories that fit my own experiences, or see the whole ghost thing disproved conclusively....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 17:15   #58
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
Oh Vel, you are such a blessing to have in this place. Reading your posts makes me happy, and the next moment I want to drown myself in beer .
Old July 9, 2003, 17:20   #59
Velociryx
staff

Solver...save some of that beer for me! Be right over!

-=Vel=-
Old July 9, 2003, 17:25   #60
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
Anytime, though I've heard you prefer tequila .