Old July 15, 2003, 09:04   #91
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
Even if one or two of the traits is redone, I think Atari will probably not redo too many of them, because a. that might anger the fan base that has come to identify certain civs with certain traits, and, more importantly, b. it allows for further add-on packages (à la PTW)

As for America being agricultural and industrious... this makes a lot of sense... but despite America's overwhelming agricultural output, it should be noted that current agricultural practices may leave the American breadbasket no longer functioning come the late 21st century. This principally has to do with the abandonment of crop rotation and depletion of fresh water reserves. Still, A-I for America would make a lot of sense. Industrious seems indisputable to me... this is the country, after all, for which "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism" was basically written.
hi ,

conquests shall have everything from PTW , ......

lets hope the next xp shall have everything from conquests and some new stuff , .....

have a nice day
Old July 15, 2003, 09:06   #92
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

Getting free Granaries in every city, even if they only cost 40 Shields, would still be one of the best Wonder abilities in the game. Still, you're right that Agricultural would get "shafted" with respect to one of the Wonders, and that would be a first. It would not bother me much, however.

* Dominae dreams of cheap Granaries and Industrious Workers.

Dominae
hi ,

cheap graneries and aqua's , yes , industrious workers , , there is a trait for that , .....

have a nice day
Old July 15, 2003, 23:49   #93
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 01:26
Seafaring is most likely to reduce the chance of sinking in tiles where the ship is not allowed (say a reduction from 50% to 25%) and perhaps a +1 movement. Half price harbors are a possibility as well.

Agricultural is likely to reduce the time for irrigating tiles and/ or bonuses to irrigated tiles. Also I would like to see Rice as a new bonus resource (in swamp)

For Seafaring:
English
America
Vikings
Carthage
Japan
Dutch and/or Portugal (if included)

for Agricultural:
China
Baylon
Persia
Iroqouis
korea
Sumeria (if Included)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:10   #94
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
Are we certain that swamp is in there?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:12   #95
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I don't see Japan as seafaring. The Japanese were half-hearted sailors, and did not like being out of sight of land at all, in spite of being an island nation. The Chinese took sea exploration a lot futher than the Japanese.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 16, 2003, 06:39   #96
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
There are screenshots of it.
Old July 16, 2003, 08:06   #97
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
I started thinking about which Great Wonders would the new traits be attached to.

There is a new wonder, Statue of Zeus, which sounds militaristic and religious. Assuming no GW works for more than 3 traits (except the Internet) and that each trait is linked to 5 wonders plus the Internet I came up with these ideas.

Seafaring

Colossus - in place of religious which would go to Statue of Zeus
Great Lighthouse - obvious candidate
Great Library - the GL was possible because Alexandria was a great commercial port centre so it is plausible
Magellan - again an obvious choice
SETI - because the next voyages of exploration we make will be across space

An alternative would be Newton as accurate knowledge of the movement of the planets was important for 18th century navigation

Agricultural

Pyramids - obvious
Hanging Gardens - plausible choice
Copernicus - to reflect the ancient use of astronomical observations to govern planting times for crops
Hoover - dams are used for irrigation as much as for hydroelectric power

A fifth choice isn't easy. Possibilities are Universal Suffrage reflecting the need for labour or, perhaps a better choice, either Cure for Cancer or Longevity to reflect current efforts for agricultural improvement through GM technology

Unless of course there is to be more than one new GW in Conquests?
Old July 16, 2003, 10:17   #98
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop
(...)might also be assured a starting location near the ocean.(..)
and maybe agricultural civs will start near rivers.

QUOTE] Originally posted by CerberusIV
(...)SETI - because the next voyages of exploration we make will be across space(...)[/QUOTE]

another idea, seafarers get cheaper space parts!
Old July 18, 2003, 02:45   #99
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

There are screenshots of it.
Excellent. I wonder if they saw my suggestion...
Old July 20, 2003, 23:56   #100
Naokaukodem
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:26
Seafaring civilizations could take benefit from any sea technology they would actually reshearching for, before having discovered it yet.

I think the + 1 ships movement would be ok, same as a bonus for ship construction.
Old July 21, 2003, 00:07   #101
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Interesting, but I don't think it would be good from a balance standpoint. besides, there's no way to identify a "sea technology" in a way the game would understand it, so I don't believe it's possible.
Old July 21, 2003, 03:29   #102
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

My guesses:

Agricultural:
- cheaper granaries - makes sense
- irrigate without fresh water - good when starting with lots of plains but no water, highly probable IMO
- food bonus to apply in despotism - hmm, not bad
- irrigate hills (maybe even mountains)
- bonus food in city center - highly probable, I think
- workers to irrigate faster - makes sense, but will then industr. workers lose that ability?
- more food from bad terrain (jungle, desert) - logical, but won't happen; desert tiles would become plains, civ-wise
- more food from special resources (wheat, cows) - could this be programmed ?

Seafaring:
- cheaper harbors
- cheaper ships
(the first 2 would make sense, to encourage seafaring nations to build ships)
- ships heal at sea
- faster ship promotion
- less chances for ships to sink when sailing in unknown waters (galleys on sea, caravels on ocean, etc)
(these 3 make sense, too; more powerful navies for seafaring nations is logical)
- a special ship type for seafaring nations (I don't really think this will happen)
- more troops to be transported in ships - I like it
- +1 movement for ships - too powerful;
- more food or commerce from sea tiles - too powerful; or not ?

Note: not all of them in the same time; would be overpowering.
--Woody Allen
Old July 21, 2003, 10:07   #103
Naokaukodem
Chieftain

Quote:
Interesting, but I don't think it would be good from a balance standpoint.
Too powerfull or too weak?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk besides, there's no way to identify a "sea technology" in a way the game would understand it, so I don't believe it's possible.
The sea technologies would be of course pre determinated, it would be i guess Map Making, Astronomy, Navigation, Magnetism, Mass Production?... We could also modify the requiered technologies so that the features of sea ones could be enabled. Sea techs would be "available" but needed to be discovered or exchanged yet. For example Map Maping would be needed to search for Republic, Magnetism to reach the next era... only Navigation would be as if given for free.
Old July 21, 2003, 13:56   #104
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:26
Another possible bonus of the agricultural trait are larger city size limits, e.g. size 8 without aqueducts and size 14 without hospitals.

SMAC's peacekeeper faction had a bonus of this kind (+2 limit, though SMAC's limits itself were different - 7/14 instead of Civ3's 6/12).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 29, 2003, 16:42   #105
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Quote:
Bad news.

The Mesopotamian scenario is listed as having a "Marsh" terrain. They could have easily replaced another terrain type
Old July 30, 2003, 09:22   #106
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Just had an idea for a bonus for the Seafarers....

During the age of sail, allow a % chance that the Seafarer ship will board and capture the enemy ship rather than sink it. If captured the new ship would be badly damaged but still afloat. This is particularly valid for privateers since they only got any money at all by plundering captured ships and would NEVER sink a merchant ship intentionally.

Most naval battles in the age of sail did not result in ships sinking. This only occured if the ship was holed many times below the waterline (very unlikely), caught fire, got hit in the magazine or hit a reef. A normal gunnery duel would wreck the rigging, gun decks and send the scuppers running with blood but would not sink the ship.

This might be too powerful for only the seafarers to be allowed so perhaps a general rule for all but the seafarers get a higher % chance of capture?

The only drawback with this is that it doesnt really work post age of sail. Modern naval weapons cause plently enough damage to cause explosions and sink enemy ships, they are also easy to scuttle to deny the enemy. So perhaps some other bonus could apply in the modern naval era - movement bonus springs to mind - it really shouldnt take ships capable of 35knots in any weather 10 years to cross the Atlantic.

Any thoughts?
Old July 30, 2003, 09:41   #107
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

An intriguing idea, especially as expansionists can currently capture scouts... this would work very well in conjunction with a "naval scout" unit...
Old July 30, 2003, 10:02   #108
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
An intriguing idea, especially as expansionists can currently capture scouts... this would work very well in conjunction with a "naval scout" unit...

hi ,

, with an option to hold or transport one , .....

it would be great if only foot units could be transported with this naval scout , no settlers or workers , .......

have a nice day
Old July 30, 2003, 11:37   #109
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Asmodeus, good idea
--Woody Allen
Old July 30, 2003, 11:45   #110
ISTANBUL
Settler

Local Time: 21:26
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I am betting that agriculture provides a bonus to the city (as in #4 by Dominae above) along with the ability to irrigate hills and mountains.

Naval - +1 movement (or +1 per age... but I doubt it will be like that), along with one less restriciton on travel. For example, can safely travel coast and sea at the beginning, adn ocean with only astronomy. This would have the appropriate early trade opportunities also.
I think Incans or Mayans will be those who can irrigate the mountains by "terrace farming"

sorry if already mentioned here

Map generator doesn't often make maps with seas in-land, like Caspian or Mediterranean-Aegean-Marmara-Black Sea.

and yes! New resources
Old July 30, 2003, 12:20   #111
ISTANBUL
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodeus
Just had an idea for a bonus for the Seafarers....

During the age of sail, allow a % chance that the Seafarer ship will board and capture the enemy ship rather than sink it. If captured the new ship would be badly damaged but still afloat. This is particularly valid for privateers since they only got any money at all by plundering captured ships and would NEVER sink a merchant ship intentionally.

Most naval battles in the age of sail did not result in ships sinking. This only occured if the ship was holed many times below the waterline (very unlikely), caught fire, got hit in the magazine or hit a reef. A normal gunnery duel would wreck the rigging, gun decks and send the scuppers running with blood but would not sink the ship.

This might be too powerful for only the seafarers to be allowed so perhaps a general rule for all but the seafarers get a higher % chance of capture?

Any thoughts?
These are all very feasible, realistic and GREAT!

Some naval battles ended up with the navy being burnt and sunk, but not privateer attacks. There could still be a possibility of sinking enemy ships

Could we have "coastal huts" (a novel name would be better) that give free naval scouts, naval units or reveal barbarian galleys/caravels/privateers?
Old July 30, 2003, 12:38   #112
ISTANBUL
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
I started thinking about which Great Wonders would the new traits be attached to.

There is a new wonder, Statue of Zeus, which sounds militaristic and religious. Assuming no GW works for more than 3 traits (except the Internet) and that each trait is linked to 5 wonders plus the Internet I came up with these ideas.
There will be 7 or so new civs, new resources, new units, new civ traits, new unit actions
Why not more brand-new wonders?
Some of the things in mods were very interesting
Old July 30, 2003, 12:57   #113
ISTANBUL
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV

The Ottoman empire preserved the science of the ancient world while Europe was less advanced. I'm sure there is a reason for industrious (I just can't think of it)
They had caravansaries for improving trade, mosques more or less like the cathedrals/churches in countries with Christian people, palaces in Istanbul, libraries and fountains in several citites, in short they an ample deal of infrastructure and construction in their golden age
I'm not sure though, they were militaristic and expansionist as well
Old July 31, 2003, 09:35   #114
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Naokaukodem

The sea technologies would be of course pre determinated, it would be i guess Map Making, Astronomy, Navigation, Magnetism, Mass Production?... We could also modify the requiered technologies so that the features of sea ones could be enabled. Sea techs would be "available" but needed to be discovered or exchanged yet. For example Map Maping would be needed to search for Republic, Magnetism to reach the next era... only Navigation would be as if given for free.
Mass Production??

Sea Techs: Map Making, Astronomy, Navigation, Magnetism, Miniturization, Amphibious Assault.

Perhaps Sea-faring will allow all foot units to make amphibious assaults?
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old August 1, 2003, 05:49   #115
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ISTANBUL

These are all very feasible, realistic and GREAT!

Some naval battles ended up with the navy being burnt and sunk, but not privateer attacks. There could still be a possibility of sinking enemy ships

Could we have "coastal huts" (a novel name would be better) that give free naval scouts, naval units or reveal barbarian galleys/caravels/privateers?
Even if this feature of capturing ships isnt included in the XP, I think it might be 'Modable'. It may not have the animation like captured workers but it could work rather like capturing the alien boil thingies from SMAC. But particularly for privateers I think it would be worth doing - normally I never bother building privateers but that would make them worth it IMHO.
Old August 1, 2003, 05:57   #116
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

This thread should be moved to the new forum.

hope they will help out the privateers, let me have some fun with them.
Old August 1, 2003, 16:55   #117
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Seafaring is most likely to reduce the chance of sinking in tiles where the ship is not allowed (say a reduction from 50% to 25%) and perhaps a +1 movement. Half price harbors are a possibility as well.

Agricultural is likely to reduce the time for irrigating tiles and/ or bonuses to irrigated tiles. Also I would like to see Rice as a new bonus resource (in swamp)

For Seafaring:
English
America
Vikings
Carthage
Japan
Dutch and/or Portugal (if included)

for Agricultural:
China
Baylon
Persia
Iroqouis
korea
Sumeria (if Included)
Are you sure you didn't mean to put America under Agricultural? Despite America's immense naval superiority, it doesn't really count as seafaring the way Britain or the Vikings do.

Quote:
Interesting, but I don't think it would be good from a balance standpoint. besides, there's no way to identify a "sea technology" in a way the game would understand it, so I don't believe it's possible.
This could be difficult to implement, and could cause immense problems (and would be very subject to abuse). It would also require a lot of new code.
Old August 1, 2003, 17:29   #118
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

A quick idea for agricultural:

Maybe tiles adjascent to rivers would get one extra food, or maybe tile bonuses will produce one extra food than normal. That would be a good boost in early game, but wouldn't be too overpowering for the whole game.
Old August 1, 2003, 17:38   #119
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

I still think that "terrace farming" and half-price granaries would be good enough for agricultural...

...if there's no half-price granaries, there better be some significant benefit, because I think that a lot of players tend to mine almost every square... true, boorish mining is no good, but if you've got to conquer earlier on, production tends to be more important than food.

But don't get me wrong, I welcome the addition of "agricultural" as a trait strongly.

TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC:

What if someone added "Inclusive" as a Civ trait? The two bonuses being it's easier to alien cultures to be absorbed into that civ, and maybe captured/traded workers don't suffer a penalty? Or maybe a diplomatic bonus of some kind?
Old August 3, 2003, 07:53   #120
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV

Bad news.

The Mesopotamian scenario is listed as having a "Marsh" terrain. They could have easily replaced another terrain type
Not bad news for me.

I've wanted swamp in from the time I first learned it wasn't in.