Old July 10, 2003, 18:08   #31
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If it's too easy you might start to get ideas...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 10, 2003, 18:09   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The master who set him up? Pick up an Iraqi history book onefoot; I get tired of hearing the same lies about the big bad US "setup" Saddam and how we "gave" them chemical weapons. 15 years worth of investigative reporting has shown time and again that both of these accussations are baseless but that doesn't stop people from endlessly repeating them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:12   #33
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

You must have a serious psychological problem if sometime like this makes you feel good about yourself. I suggest you find something to fill the gigantic hole that must be in your life.
No I just think of all the plonkers like you who fell for it or felt compelled to defend what any rational person could have seen was a pack of lies.

Yah boo sucks to you.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:13   #34
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
Quote:
15 years worth of investigative reporting has shown time and again that both of these accussations are baseless but that doesn't stop people from endlessly repeating them.
Is that the same worth of investigative reporting about the Iraqi WMD's? That doesn't stop people from endlessly repeating them.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:13   #35
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 21:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Gotta say I wake up every day feeling pretty smug about the war.

All you right wing pro-war twits were taken in by a pack of transparent lies. Worse, all the communists and liberals here told you they were lies and you didn't believe them, you saps!

bwhahahahahahaha.
Well, I'd be more inclined to label myself a centrist (unless you're a friggin' commie) anti-war non-twit, but I don't think many people were taken in. It was more "you mean we actually have to come up with an excuse for ridding the world of this *******?"

And people on both sides are dying, so if you feel smug, you're an asswipe.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:14   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 01:27
Quote:
What makes you think I want you to succeed in turning Iraq into the 21st century's postwar Japan?
... why... wouldn't... you? It'd be good for the people of the Iraq and the MidEast.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 10, 2003, 18:15   #37
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
Quote:
It was more "you mean we actually have to come up with an excuse for ridding the world of this *******?"
Yes you do.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:19   #38
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Quote:
15 years worth of investigative reporting has shown time and again that both of these accussations are baseless but that doesn't stop people from endlessly repeating them.
Is that the same worth of investigative reporting about the Iraqi WMD's? That doesn't stop people from endlessly repeating them.
Actually, there's a whole shitload of primary documentation on file in the Federal District Court in Atlanta, as a result of the BNL criminal cases. The exact extent and nature of US involvement is well documented. It's quite a bit more than the right-wingers and pro-Reagan / Bush I crowd like to admit, but far less than the typical leftist rant.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:21   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:27
..."plonkers"?

Jackass.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:22   #40
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 05:27
well I did a couple of threads on this a while ago, but US did help him at first, he did balace in the whole deal betwen USSR and the US as it suited him, for a while, with Iran he got to be a good boy again, after Iran, he screwed up... but US was the country who set him up at the beginning, if he decided to be a good boy, Iraq would be US friend and a prosperous country even more than it was in the 70's and 80's, however he screwed with US support, and now was overthrown buy former lover... this is how it goes....

as for some more mainstream information go here
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saddam/

Quote:
There was a coup in Iraq in 1963. What do we know about the U.S. involvement in that coup?

The U.S. involvement in the coup against Kassem in Iraq in 1963 was substantial. There is evidence that CIA agents were in touch with army officers who were involved in the coup. There is evidence that an electronic command center was set up in Kuwait to guide the forces who were fighting Kassem. There is evidence that they supplied the conspirators with lists of people who had to be eliminated immediately in order to ensure success. The relationship between the Americans and the Ba'ath Party at that moment in time was very close indeed. And that continued for some time after the coup. And there was an exchange of information between the two sides. For example it was one of the first times that the United States was able to get certain models of Mig fighters and certain tanks made in the Soviet Union. That was the bribe. That was what the Ba'ath had to offer the United States in return for their help in eliminating Kassem.
just for fun...

one way or the other, you cannot deny if he was a good boy (even though he might have killed X amount of his own citizens) US would never have taken him down, so... well but that is beside the point...

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:23   #41
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Well, I'd be more inclined to label myself a centrist (unless you're a friggin' commie) anti-war non-twit, but I don't think many people were taken in. It was more "you mean we actually have to come up with an excuse for ridding the world of this *******?"

And people on both sides are dying, so if you feel smug, you're an asswipe.
You, a centrist?

Plenty of people were taken in according to the polls.

Frankly I hope this ends up as a costly war, that way Bush and his usual gang of idiots might think twice next time before they swaggering round the world like spoiled children and causing more unnecessary death and chaos.

I'm not particularly happy about this, but Dumbo has basically made it so that this is about the best outcome one could reasonably hope for. God knows, if it was successful, he'd waste no time in trying to flatten some other country for spurious reasons.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:25   #42
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
..."plonkers"?

Jackass.
Get English, you pillock!
Old July 10, 2003, 18:27   #43
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:

You, a centrist?

Plenty of people were taken in according to the polls.

Frankly I hope this ends up as a costly war, that way Bush and his usual gang of idiots might think twice next time before they swaggering round the world like spoiled children and causing more unnecessary death and chaos.

I'm not particularly happy about this, but Dumbo has basically made it so that this is about the best outcome one could reasonably hope for. God knows, if it was successful, he'd waste no time in trying to flatten some other country for spurious reasons.
Seriously man, get some help. I'm not an expert, but this obsesion you have with other people's suffering is kind of creepy
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 10, 2003, 18:30   #44
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Seriously man, get some help. I'm not an expert, but this obsesion you have with other people's suffering is kind of creepy
What's wrong with wanting to see the evil suffer in order to prevent further greater evil?
Old July 10, 2003, 18:32   #45
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

And there you have it. From the mouth of a commie.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:33   #46
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:

What's wrong with wanting to see the evil suffer in order to prevent further greater evil?

You sound like a religious fundy. I'm sure there have been many people say those exact lines. No use in worring about the inocent that will die as long as Agathon can feel smug in the morning
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 10, 2003, 18:36   #47
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

You, a centrist?
Like I said, unless you're a friggin' commie, Mr "Left of Lenin"
Old July 10, 2003, 18:36   #48
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:

Get English, you pillock!
Get stuffed, jerk.

Sprayber was over there.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:41   #49
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:

Get stuffed, jerk.

Sprayber was over there.
Actually me and my unit are still in the purgatory that is Fort Sill still waiting to go over there. It's gonna be a long couple of years for us.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:43   #50
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Sill?

You have my deepest sympathies.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:47   #51
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Sill?

You have my deepest sympathies.
I had basic training here and swore I'd never be back. Of course Uncle Sam made no such promise.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:49   #52
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Actually me and my unit are still in the purgatory that is Fort Sill still waiting to go over there. It's gonna be a long couple of years for us.
Quit if you can. Don't get involved in this stupidity. Your government is a dishonest bunch of fundamentalist lunatics who couldn't give a damn about their own soldiers when it comes to the crunch and would gladly sacrifice them to its ill-conceived ends.

And FTR Blair is not much better - actually he's worse in some respects.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:50   #53
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Get stuffed, jerk.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but George Bush is an idiot.

And so are those who defend him.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:59   #54
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quit if you can. Don't get involved in this stupidity. Your government is a dishonest bunch of fundamentalist lunatics who couldn't give a damn about their own soldiers when it comes to the crunch and would gladly sacrifice them to its ill-conceived ends.

Fortunately, the post-Vietnam effect is still that the US Government has no choice but to consider the fate of significant numbers of soldiers - casualties are always a consideration, because the survival of the government politically depends on public perception.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:08   #55
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:

I agree with Agathon. A dishonorable discharge isn't as bad as they make it out to be. You may not return the same, or you may not return.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:13   #56
JCG
Prince

A rather different but still extremely difficult situation...no need to use such labels, though it is still too soon to know for sure.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:16   #57
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

I agree with Agathon. A dishonorable discharge isn't as bad as they make it out to be. You may not return the same, or you may not return.
It's ok. I don't expect you to understand things such as doing your duty and fullfilling your word. I won't hold it against you too much.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:20   #58
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
It's ok. I don't expect you to understand things such as doing your duty and fullfilling your word. I won't hold it against you too much.
You don't owe them that.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:24   #59
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

A dishonorable discharge, and you've screwed the pooch.
I don't know who's been blowing rainbows up your ass about that little fact.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:27   #60
Sprayber
Emperor

When you sign your name to a contract and take an oath, you don't just run whenever it suits you or if it gets a little tough. At least that was the way I was raised. Perhaps that way of thinking isn't cool these days but I'm comfortable with it.