Old August 31, 2003, 23:34   #151
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ahh good. I was hoping it wasn't my email account messing up again (since I made some slight changes to it).
Old September 1, 2003, 04:34   #152
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Ahh good. I was hoping it wasn't my email account messing up again (since I made some slight changes to it).
I've been having the same thoughts. why aren't i getting any email?
Old September 1, 2003, 07:41   #153
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:31
There ya go. I sent it off. Happy, now?
Old September 1, 2003, 08:51   #154
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yes.

And Meria City description is up too! I checked the site before when you had updated the front page to include the link to Meria, but hadn't uploaded the file yet. So yay!

As a side note, I got your email twice - once from each address you own. I'm just basically checking that the two emails are the same?
Old September 1, 2003, 14:40   #155
SnowFire
Emperor

Oops. Now that wasn't intentional.

Anyway, it was 7:30 in the morning over here when I sent that, or thereabouts. I also totally forgot to change the subject line. Somebody else can make it Mission 2: Something Creative if they want.
Old September 2, 2003, 00:01   #156
SnowFire
Emperor

Nathan allegedly didn't recieve my Mission 2 emails, but did get Wraith's. Are others having a similar problem? I may have to kick my AT&T account.

Anyway, here's Kory's backstory. Nathan is too lazy to reactivate an Apolyton account, so I'm posting it. Please taunt him into getting one, by the way, you have DM approval.

Quote:
Korendil se'Aswari ne'Ana Alvoriline (Kory to those who know him well and thus wish to annoy him) is a tall and exceedingly handsome Elven male. His long golden hair is as fine as flax, yet is so smooth and straight that a casual observer from another timestream might suspect an overuse of Brylcreem. His face is sculpted to the lines of a god, with high cheekbones and the thin, almost invisible eyebrows typical of highly bred Elves. His chin is utterly free of stubble, and his skin is milky white and pearly smooth. In short, he is a huge pile of bishounen eye-candy, the trappings of which serve to compensate somewhat for the unbelievably arrogant and abrasive personality housed behind those pale jade-sapphire eyes.

Korendil is the fourth son of a notable and powerful Elven House (when he talks about it, you can hear the capital letters) and as such is superior to virtually every single other living being on the planet except his elder siblings and his Grandfather. Elves being great believers in tradition, they follow a strict patriarchal and primogeniturial schema (even if less prevalent among the Ana), and thus Kory will likely never get much more than a tremendous amount of honor and responsibility out of his title. He is decidedly well-to-do, however, compared to the average workaday grunt. Sadly, House Alvoriline is entering something of a decline, as Kory's parents were both slain in the last civil war 10 years ago, by unknown assassins who were never caught. All of his elder siblings are either unwed or have yet to experience the joys of the fruits of their union (Elves are not a fertile people at the best of times.)

Fourth sons generally are not groomed for succession to House leadership, nor for any of the secondary places in such a setup (managing the financial affairs, or perhaps becoming Armsmaster.) Thus, Kory's education was thorough but rather lackadaisical. Seeking to reaffirm his House's name somewhat, Kory decided to find a position of honor and glory. As the Elven nation is in somewhat of a state of turmoil these days, the best place to search out the company of nobles, courtiers, officers, and gentlemen is the court of Meria. As there are already two sets of Elven Ambassadors, that particular route is closed to Kory, while the Elven Court is a bit of a closed system, and so he has been sent to a position in Meria's army instead. Naturally (to Kory's way of thinking) he was immediately noticed and groomed for a leadership position. When he has amassed sufficient glory that his name has become a household word (ancestorial notations and all), he shall return home triumphantly, and House Alvoriline will begin to rise once again to its rightful place as the crown jewel of a reunited Elfdom.

Kory has some innate talent for magic, as do most Elves, but he lacks the patience and self-control to become a true wizard. In his case, he finds spells of seeking and divination to be most to his taste, while having almost no stomach for those spells which work with dead or dying spirits. In general, Elves view any necromantic rituals as abominations, and can only grudgingly be persuaded to allow even goodly clerics to perform any such spells. Kory's true gifts, however, are in the realm of archery. If it can be fired, strung, thrown, hurled, or aimed, Kory can use it like a virtuouso. He has an almost uncanny knack for any sort of ranged weapon, from complex mechanical crossbows to the graceful Elven longbow to simple shotputs or hurling discs. This is compensated somewhat by the fact that his swordwork can be surpassed by an aging granny with a knitting needle. Still, supernaturally accurate archers are a valuable resource, and thus Kory found himself placed in command of a small unit in Meria's specops division.

OOC: Now that I'm officially a player with a backstory and everything, I thought I ought to post a description for placement in the official thread. Not that anyone who's read any of my emails can't immediately get a feel for Kory's personality, but it's nice to have it officially codified, ne?
Old September 2, 2003, 00:38   #157
Skanky Burns

Quote:
but it's nice to have it officially codified, ne?
By my way of thinking, indeed.

/me hits Zerak with a watermelon
Old September 2, 2003, 01:46   #158
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
Quote:
Quote:
but it's nice to have it officially codified, ne?
By my way of thinking, indeed.

* Skanky Burns hits Zerak with a watermelon
Yeah right, like you got the reach
Old September 2, 2003, 01:47   #159
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
Nathan allegedly didn't recieve my Mission 2 emails, but did get Wraith's. Are others having a similar problem?
Nope, I got two identical e-mail messages from you, and 1 from Wraith.
Old September 2, 2003, 02:15   #160
SnowFire
Emperor

... and a reply from me to Wraith's email as well, correct?
Old September 2, 2003, 02:18   #161
Skanky Burns

And a reply from UR.

Seems its just Nathan that is having email problems at the moment.
Old September 2, 2003, 02:29   #162
SnowFire
Emperor

Uh, if the reply from UR was more recent than his Friday reply, I didn't get it. Although I did get a private email from him recently... how weird.
Old September 2, 2003, 08:06   #163
Makeo
King

I have recieved two identicals from snowfire, a reply from wraith and ur and snowfire reply for wraith
Old September 2, 2003, 11:00   #164
Skanky Burns

Hey, avatars are back!

Back on-topic, UR's recent reply was sent Tues. I forwarded it to both of your addresses anyway. Plus my email should be received by you too.

As a side note, do private conversations need to be cc-ed to our fair DM?
Old September 2, 2003, 11:08   #165
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Back on-topic, UR's recent reply was sent Tues.
It's good that I used "reply to all"
Old September 2, 2003, 11:09   #166
Skanky Burns

When did you become a deity btw?
Its little wonder that you have though.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:15   #167
Skanky Burns

Quote:
This is the Postfix program at host mail.messagingengine.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

************************The Postfix program

: host mercury.cc.oberlin.edu[132.162.1.220] said:
****550 5.1.1 ... User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO
****command)
Well, that explains why UR's email wasn't received by Snowy.
Old September 2, 2003, 17:12   #168
SnowFire
Emperor

Well, yeah, the Oberlin account is dead. The AT&T account is still up and running though, so as long as that's in the email, it should get through.

And no, private conversations don't need to be cced, although they probably should be if you're doing something important. From previous PBEM experience, chatting with others and then putting together a unified email of the result of your discussions to send to the group often works well.
Old September 3, 2003, 00:54   #169
Urban Ranger
Deity

I also got the bounced message this morning. Ah well, didn't look closely before I sent.

Skanky,

Yeah, I am an evil spammer BTW, you are the first person who noticed the change, or at least bothered to mention it.

Last edited by Urban Ranger; September 3, 2003 at 01:29.
Old September 3, 2003, 01:40   #170
Skanky Burns

Congratulations then. I didn't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere. To celebrate you should post your character's background! You have written one, haven't you?
Old September 3, 2003, 17:48   #171
Makeo
King

just a check did everyone get an email from me today?
Old September 3, 2003, 18:56   #172
Skanky Burns

Yes. Well, I did at least.
Old September 4, 2003, 23:46   #173
SnowFire
Emperor

Hey, sorry folks, but I've been quite busy lately and my sleep schedule's been yoyoed back and forth some. Hopefully I'll be able to send out those promised emails tommorow.

Argh.
Old September 5, 2003, 01:41   #174
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Yes. Well, I did at least.
None from you, though
Old September 5, 2003, 07:03   #175
Skanky Burns

Copy SnowFire's post above, but cross out his name and replace it with Skanky. I just sent out a bare-bones plan for Dorlin's next moves, but more actions will probably be added later retroactively. Probably Monday, I'm working 16 hours over the weekend too (as usual).
Old September 7, 2003, 11:08   #176
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:31
Heya all.
I'll be off hiking for a good bit of next week but after I get back in about a week I can be a replacement if one is needed. I've got a 10:30 class to teach and then one at 2:00 so I've got a lunch break on steroids that's perfect moping around the apartment time (and coincided pretty well with the late end of american internet prime time). I played AD&D 1st edition a loooong time ago and will probably do OK after a quick
refresher. In any case stick me on the observer mailing list.

Anyway, if you need someone else I'd like to run a goblin charactor named Daztur (have always been partial to humanoids) who could possibily be picked up by the group as an interpreter for non-human tribes (which would make for interesting results as Daztur only speaks common) or a mess cook. He was the main character for some short story fragments I wrote a bit over two years ago and I rather liked him so I thought I'd give him another run:

Name: Daztur
Profession: Escaped kitchen slave (fighter/thief?)

Appearance: Remarkably short, even by goblin standards, with thin bowed legs and long wiry spindly arms ending in quick-fingered hands well-callused from years of vegetable chopping. His face is rather less attractive, as it is graced by one long pointed ear that is not terribly well matched on the other side of his head by the burned remains of a rather unfortunate frying pan accident, a wide frog-lipped mouth, remarkably large plaque-encrusted teeth, an impressive array of pimples, and eyes wide enough to make people who see Daz wonder what the hell he’s staring at. The pungent odor of none too fresh garlic does not improve matters much.

Alignment: Being fed is good, other things are rather less good (chaotic nuetral?).

Personality: Daz’s personality is centered around an all-consuming desire for stew and an utter lack of motivation to engage in acts that do not immediately result in said stew. This is tempered by a childhood of slavery (since his abduction from his tribe by slavers at a young age) which has left him with of an ignorance of all things non-culinary so pervasive that it would be a rather good idea for him to listen to other people, with a rebellious nature that makes him completely unwilling to do so. However deep down Daz just wants to be loved (don’t we all?) and he expresses this in an endearing manner that reminds many people of those small hyperactively friendly dogs that love nothing better than a good crotch-sniffing. This, combined with his astounding short attention span, inability to know when to shut the hell up, utter lack of common sense, and the manners of a pudding-spewing two year old makes Daz the endearing creature that he is.

Backstory: Daz was taken from the Shadowclan Goblins by slave traders so that little goblins culture remains to him besides a thick accent and the conviction that goblins are the kindest, bravest, warming, most wonderful race anyone has ever known. He then had the misfortune to be sold to Fander Leck of Fander’s Stew Shack where he washed dishes until the rat incident and then chopped a wide range of vegetables into quite small pieces with his beloved cleaver, Ratclomper. He also served as general scapegoat and mascot of the kitchen staff who tormented him mercilessly. With recent relative maturation, Fander has been increasing Daz’s workload, much to his dismay, and he has thus hatched a plan to escape…
Old September 7, 2003, 18:12   #177
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I haven't seen anything since Friday. Are we just moving slowly, or did my address get cut from the cc:s?

Wraith
1.799 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight. "Tis a good Idea, and it doth be the Law"
Old September 8, 2003, 00:20   #178
SnowFire
Emperor

Moving slowly. We did a lot of cleaning around the house this weekend, and I was otherwise distracted by some... complications. Basically, two things about this mission occurred that totally threw off my original plans, and I've been lazy about coming up with a solution.

However, on my honor, the promised emails shall be sent out tonight.

Boshko: Well, if you can fix the "killed on sight in most southern towns" part of that character, I'll consider it should we need one.
Old September 8, 2003, 07:18   #179
SnowFire
Emperor

And so it was done.

Despite asking the fact that asking for the meaning of jokes generally kills them... what's the reference in that last sig, Wraith? I'm too lazy to start converting furlongs to other units of measurements and see if I can find something familiar.
Old September 8, 2003, 07:42   #180
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The speed of light.

Wraith
I have not yet begun to procrastinate