View Poll Results: Should AU be made into a civgroup icon?
Yes 24 70.59%
No 5 14.71%
Don't know and don't care 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12, 2003, 15:11   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolyton University Poll 3 - Civgroup icon
This will be the third in a series of polls regarding Apolyton University and the four Civ3 democracy games played here on Apolyton. Per the initiative of Theseus in this thread http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...threadid=90953 we are attempting to increase the attractiveness of each with introduction pages, new ways of approaching players, and generally more fun. This third poll asks the question about making Apolyton University a civgroup. Please vote on whether you believe we should pursue making Apolyton University a civgroup or not, and then post with your reasons. Thanks.

It is my belief that the civgroup icons increase marketability. The democracy games might not have as large a membership as they do now if people hadn’t seen the civgroup icons and been curious. I myself lurked at ‘Poly for a long time in the strategy forums and didn’t have a clue what the democracy games were all about. For people that don’t frequent the strategy forums, they don’t have any idea what Apolyton University is or how to join in.

As no one else has suggested another icon besides this one then it stands right now as the icon that will become the AU civgroup if this initiative is pursued. If you have another possible icon, please post that as well.
Attached Images:

Old July 12, 2003, 15:34   #2
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The two reds in the icon you presented are too similar, and make the 'A' difficult to see. The icon needs to be cleaned up a little.

Also, why not 'AU'? The letter 'A' along is already being used for the ISDG icon.

Dominae
Old July 12, 2003, 15:36   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
The two reds in the icon you presented are too similar, and make the 'A' difficult to see. The icon needs to be cleaned up a little.
Also, why not 'AU'? The letter 'A' along is already being used for the ISDG icon.
Dominae
Actually it is AU. The 'U' is in purple surrounding the A (which I admit was taken from the ISDG icon and modified. That's why I'd like more people to create some icons. I'm not a great computer artist.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:04   #4
Dominae
Emperor

Ah, I see.

IMO the symbol of 'A' beside the 'U' is more iconic than putting the 'A' in front of the 'U'. I'm no artist either, but I think the icon should basically be:

<|AU|>

The brackets are, course, what is open to artistic creativity.

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; July 12, 2003 at 16:49.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:48   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Dominae, I can't see whatever you tried to post.

I'm up for an icon too... either an A and U, or something more, ummm, iconic.

A book? Books? A cap and tassle? A diploma?

Or something less university-oriented?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:50   #6
Dominae
Emperor

Edited.
Old July 12, 2003, 18:00   #7
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
uhm, i've tried to do something myself.
got two versions:
the first one should be a graduation hat with AU beneath.
i don't know if it's readable.
Attached Images:

Old July 12, 2003, 18:01   #8
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

second one is just AU slightly on a different height.
maybe colours could be changed. ideas?
Attached Images:

Old July 12, 2003, 18:03   #9
sabrewolf
Emperor

and here the versions with transparent backgrounds

WITH graduation hat
Attached Images:

Old July 12, 2003, 18:14   #10
sabrewolf
Emperor

transparent WITHOUT graduation hat
Attached Images:

Old July 12, 2003, 18:17   #11
sabrewolf
Emperor

btw: it's extremely difficult to draw something at the size of 15x19 pixels. pixelediting, etc... maybe some master of graphics could do something
Old July 12, 2003, 18:19   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
transparent WITHOUT graduation hat
I like this one the most of your icons. It's simple, makes a statement, and is easier to read than mine. We can also play with colors too. I was trying for some bold colors to stand out from other icons.
Old July 12, 2003, 18:24   #13
sabrewolf
Emperor

if you decide on colours, i can change it fairly easy. i could also make the letter slightly thicker. maybe even outlined like the fourth of your civgroups rhothaerill (the A over the triangle)
just ask...

but now i've got a bad conscience after posting my 6th post here... sorry, i'm not usually a spammer
Old July 12, 2003, 18:32   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I don't really want to match the ISDG icon too much (that's what that 'A' icon stands for). Perhaps using it as the base for my icon wasn't the best idea.

If we have more people post icons then perhaps we can have a poll for which one to use in the future. Right now my vote is with sabrewolf's non-hat icon...it's hard to tell what the hat is; the same thing happened to me with one of my first tries, it was just too 'busy' of an icon.

And the more ideas we have the better as far as I'm concerned.
Old July 12, 2003, 19:42   #15
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 21:35
Err...what is a Civgroup anyway? I'm new here.
Old July 12, 2003, 19:53   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Danarchy
Err...what is a Civgroup anyway? I'm new here.
A civgroup is a group of people who have come together to play an aspect of one of the games highlighted on 'Poly. For example next to my knight avatar there is the C3DG which stands for Civilization 3 Democracy Game. That means I'm part of that particular democracy game which anyone can join (others, such as the intersite democracy game you must be approved to join first). The democracy games are one of the areas we're currently trying to improve the visibility of, hence my polls here. We want to make all these things accessible for new people.

To view all the current civgroups, look near the top of each page to the list of links there. One of them says 'civgroup' and will take you to the page where they are located.

In the case of the AU civgroup, part of the reason for it is to increase the visibility of the Apolyton University to new people as well as people who have been posters on 'Poly for a long time but had never heard of AU.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:08   #17
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 21:35
Ah, okay. Thanks.

If I was actualy good at the game, I'd consider joining one of them. Maybe someday.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:48   #18
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Danarchy
Ah, okay. Thanks.
If I was actualy good at the game, I'd consider joining one of them. Maybe someday.
That's the beauty of Apolyton University. It helps you learn new strategies and tactics in-game. You can see how other people go about the same game you are playing (and the strategies are often similar no matter what difficulty level you play).

For democracy games, you're part of a group of people who give their opinions on how the game should be played. Also great for picking up new ideas and strategies. Like OPD said in the democracy game poll I'd highly recommend trying the PTWDGII. It's just starting so you can see a democracy game from the beginning.
Old July 12, 2003, 23:51   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Based on the count so far, it looks like a lock.
Old July 13, 2003, 07:11   #20
sabrewolf
Emperor

another possible version

AU is clearly visible, but it isn't as boring as just the two lettres.

again, colors can be changed. just ask...

has anyone thought of a logo for AU?
Attached Images:

Old July 14, 2003, 01:41   #21
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Anyone else have any AU icons they'd like to share? All will be taken into consideration.

And a slight bump to keep this on the first page for people who haven't had a chance to vote on this yet.
Old July 14, 2003, 02:00   #22
Tassadar500
Emperor

Sabrewolf thats your best yet. Maybe change the Pink to Red...
Old July 14, 2003, 15:32   #23
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 00:35
Sabrewolf, the last one and the transparent AU without the graduation hat are quite nice... keep up the good work. Might want to drop the pink in the last one though...
Old July 14, 2003, 16:48   #24
sabrewolf
Emperor

well, actually it was red at first, but it's not too well readable on the blue background. so i made the reds brighter.... but it did look a bit pink

well, here's a red one...
Attached Images:

Old July 14, 2003, 16:53   #25
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

That happened to me in one of my earlier attempts at an AU icon. The red just doesn't show up too well against the blue.

In a few days I'm going to post another poll to vote on which icon we like to be able to present to the civgroup mod. So far my vote is still with sabrewolf's non-grad-hat icon.
Old July 14, 2003, 17:03   #26
sabrewolf
Emperor

another two...
light blue instead of red text

this one with greenish vertical beam, next one blueish

i personally like this one better.

btw: unfortunatly one cannot attach more than one file , so sorry for the spamming... hopefully my last ones now
Attached Images:

Old July 14, 2003, 17:03   #27
sabrewolf
Emperor

blue vertical beam, otherwise same as the one before...
last one for now...

edit: whoa, difference hardly detectable with the gray background...
Attached Images:

Old July 14, 2003, 18:34   #28
vmxa1
Deity

sabrewolf I like the lat one and BTW Prince's are expected to do a little spaming.
Old July 14, 2003, 19:07   #29
sabrewolf
Emperor

well, after reaching 500 i havn't really had too much interest in spaming ... can't keep up with some full-time-posters
Old July 14, 2003, 20:20   #30
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah after King there is no incentive. After you get to Emperor it is hopeless.