Old July 14, 2003, 00:59   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help! I can't get the patch to my other computer!
I have the 1.29f civ3 patch on one computer (the junky one) and I need to get it to the other. I don't have the internet on the computer I want to get it to, and the computer that has it already doesn't have a burner. So I use a program to split up the file into sizes small enough for a floppy. I put the first file on the floppy, and put it on the other computer. I open up the A-drive and copy the file on it. I try to paste it into a folder (I need to because it's a bunch of small files that must be put together to make the big one) but the computer just freezes and I have to end the task. I do the same thing with all of my other floppies (two different companies that made them, too) but I get the same result. Can anyone help me?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 14, 2003, 02:10   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Floopies are very flaky. I have many times make one on one pc and could not read it on the other. I have burners on all, so I have a fall back, but some times it a less than 1 meg file.
Anyway you can use a zip program to span multiple disk. Then you will be able touse that app to unzip from those disk, if they are readable. I have use that to make patch for 5 or more disk.
Old July 14, 2003, 05:39   #3
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
I don't like winzips disk spanning function. I prefer to use a dedicated splitting program, like gsplit.

As an alternative I can recommend using a lap-link cable, it's a parallell-cable with some internal cross-wiring. They are relatively cheap, 7-8 USD here. Probably cheaper in the US.
Old July 14, 2003, 05:58   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Re: Help! I can't get the patch to my other computer!
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I have the 1.29f civ3 patch on one computer (the junky one) and I need to get it to the other. I don't have the internet on the computer I want to get it to, and the computer that has it already doesn't have a burner. So I use a program to split up the file into sizes small enough for a floppy. I put the first file on the floppy, and put it on the other computer. I open up the A-drive and copy the file on it. I try to paste it into a folder (I need to because it's a bunch of small files that must be put together to make the big one) but the computer just freezes and I have to end the task. I do the same thing with all of my other floppies (two different companies that made them, too) but I get the same result. Can anyone help me?
hi ,

do you have a cd-rom drive

have a nice day
Old July 15, 2003, 12:20   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

Yes, the old junky one with the file has a CD-ROM drive but u can't write on CDs with just a CD-ROM drive.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2003, 21:40   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

bump

Come one, I need some answers.

Quote:
As an alternative I can recommend using a lap-link cable, it's a parallell-cable with some internal cross-wiring. They are relatively cheap, 7-8 USD here. Probably cheaper in the US.
I know absolutely nothing about computer hardware and I have no idea what that is, how to install it, and how to work it.
Old July 15, 2003, 22:35   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:39
I don't remember, you have the patch on one box and want it on another, correct?
You tried to use a zip tool to zip it to multiple disk and could not unzip them? If you can not write to the floopy on one box and read it on the other, then you have to either get some other device or buy PTW. Play the World will patch CivIII to 1.29f.
Any hardware idea will cost more than a copy of PTW. I saw it under 20 at GameStop.
Otherwise you could get a serial device or a USB device. This could be a CD burner or a Zipdrive. Make a back on it and move it to the other pc. If they are close to each other you could use one of the software backups that use cable to copy drives.
All of these will just be a simple cable connection to either a serial port or a USB (best) port.
Old July 16, 2003, 04:28   #8
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
The simplest solution by far is to connect your new computer to the internet and download the patch from there.

If you have large amounts of data you need to transfer from your junky computer to the one who works then you need some kind of transfer device(cd-burner, zip-drive, usb-thumb drive, external harddrive) or to connect your computers with a cable(usb, serial, network or parallell)

Check out THE FAST PC LINKER(now called file van?), they make(and sell) both software and cables for transfering data.
http://members.aol.com/racity/link.html